follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 11-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #29
Lateapex

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The EZ engines are not heavy, around 30kg over an FA20 which is nothing, you'd almost half that difference by using a lightweight battery for instance. As far as engine swaps go this makes a lot more sense than using a boat anchor LS or JZ if you care at all about weight, balance and handling.

Also that EZ car above is using the standard 86 manual box, I have pics of it which show it bolts straight on. Also from what I have seen the engine mounts are identical or at least very close.

The only significant mechanical issue is the starter motor, it is on the opposite side on the EZ. Space is not an issue as the EZ is exactly the same width as the FA and only slightly longer, but mounting the starter would need to be done.

Also on that car above they run the exhaust manifolds straight out on either side of the engine, a good idea (much better in fact than the stock FA!) and shows there is room between the engine and crossmember.

So as far as engine swaps go, mechanically from what I have seen this doesn't look too difficult.
*but* the tricky part is the ECU and wiring, your only options are attempt to use the stock EZ ECU, or go full standalone aftermarket. Both choices have significant issues to overcome. You cannot use a 4cyl ECU to run a 6cyl engine so forget about that.

Personally I think an H6 BRZ/86 would be awesome, I would be looking at an EZ36 to start from the biggest capacity/output base. in terms of cost, difficulty and outright power you won't match a decent FA + forced induction build, *but* you will have a car that even in completely stock form with the factory ECU will be producing a third more power and 50% more torque in a flat line from sub- 2000rpm while getting excellent economy and sounding better than any other 86/BRZ ever will
Lateapex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lateapex For This Useful Post:
Kodename47 (11-17-2013), RuyGuy2 (04-19-2020)
Old 11-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #30
manonastick

Drives: WRB ZC6
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I watched the hot version episode 121 where the tested this car 86 with the EZ engine. The tuner said it mounted up to the stock transmission/ drive shaft and with tune in n/a 300hp can be achieved easily. They when keiichi tested it he said the car handling characteristic was different being more front weight biased but he said the feeling of the car was great and had great balance. Think the issues was something to do with the steering feel but its easy to drive.

But that engine is rather old and where i live we have swap out a engine newer than the car chasis. I think the newer EZ36 maybe a better idea from the newer legacy 260hp stock like latapex mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateapex View Post

The only significant mechanical issue is the starter motor, it is on the opposite side on the EZ. Space is not an issue as the EZ is exactly the same width as the FA and only slightly longer, but mounting the starter would need to be done.
one of the australia guys found the same problem testing a fb25 block
manonastick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to manonastick For This Useful Post:
CxG (04-04-2017)
Old 11-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #31
Lateapex

Should also add that V6 engines are probably not a good choice due to their height, that UK garage found that out with the Toyota GR engines, they would need to be dry-sumped to sit low enough, which blows out the cost and difficulty of a conversion. They ended up using the V8 UR engines instead.

(And before anyone says what about the TOMS V6 show car - that was not a running vehicle, the engine was just stuck in there for show...)
The Following User Says Thank You to Lateapex For This Useful Post:
CxG (04-04-2017)
Old 11-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #32
ft_sjo
Banned

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Who's talking about V6 engines?
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #33
Lateapex

It was mentioned on the previous page
Old 11-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #34
adprokid

Drives: ZN6 / GDB-G
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Swap a 3.8 GT3 enigne
adprokid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adprokid For This Useful Post:
CxG (04-04-2017), mrk1 (11-17-2013), tobin (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #35
chrisl

Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adprokid View Post
Swap a 3.8 GT3 enigne

That would be amazing. I wonder what a 9A1 GT3 engine weighs - I haven't been able to find it with some quick googling, but I bet it's pretty light...

(As for the original suggestion, I think it would be great. NA flat 6s are some of the best sounding engines out there, and correctly tuned, it would give a lot more torque and quite a bit more power than stock, while preserving the throttle response of the naturally aspirated engine)

Last edited by chrisl; 11-17-2013 at 07:21 PM.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #36
chimmy
Because BOXER

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
EJ trans bolt to the EZ engines iirc. May have to convert one to RWD to make this work. May need custom driveshaft made. You'd have to rip out all ECU related wiring from engine bay and route new ones using either stand alone or factory EZ ECU. Unsure if our mounts would work, so you may need custom ones also.

I swapped the EG33 into my old Impreza a few years ago, it was quite the experience doing everything myself. Wiring was probably the most time consuming since I was able to use factory mounting points and the trans bolted right up. Also had to chop up my rad support and customize that whole thing.

Excuse the dates on the pics, it was actually 2011.

The swap won't be everyones cup of tea, as many will feel it ruins the car and it's purpose. Much like Miata owners who shun larger engine swaps because it ruins the perfect 50/50 WD. But if you go this route, and finish, the smile on your face the first time you start it up and the even bigger smile on your face when you feel the wonderful amount of torque in early RPMs will be hard to wipe off.
chimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chimmy For This Useful Post:
adprokid (11-18-2013)
Old 11-05-2015, 10:42 PM   #37
mrk1

Drives: Sterling BRZ Ltd
Thanked 1,389 Times in 671 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Old thread I know, but funny to see lots of comments about a H6 weight but when the first 2JZ (even longer and iron block) swap happened it breaks the Internet.

I think this would make a really cool swap, I have been shoe horning motors into places the don't belong for years and in my book all the space from the firewall to the rad is fair game, might as well use all of it.

The sound of a H6 alone gets me interested

GT28RS - eBoost2 - 3.91 Final Drive - Supra LSD
mrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrk1 For This Useful Post:
DustinS (12-28-2015)
Old 12-26-2023, 12:20 AM   #38
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,325 Times in 7,383 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Dugdale View Post
Go check your facts please.
Check the date on the person you are quoting please. This is 10 years old. The dude you quoted hasn’t been on this board since 2017.
Wally86 (12-26-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 06:58 PM   #39
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,325 Times in 7,383 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Dugdale View Post
I was completely aware.

However, the FA20D and EZ30R were both available on the market to compare when they posted... Furthermore, the price of a used EZ30R from 10 years ago hasn't deviated a great deal in value since then.

Simply put, they were not contributing any value to the community by spreading false untested information. Its EZ as that.
Then just post updated information. Quoting someone who hasn’t logged in since 2017 is an “ old man yells at sky” moment.
RT-BRZ (03-25-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 04:49 AM   #40
padalinoboredon

Drives: 7pr9hfz$
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimmy View Post
EJ trans bolt to the EZ engines iirc. May have to convert one to RWD to make this work. May need custom driveshaft made. You'd have to rip out all ECU related wiring from engine bay and route new ones using either stand alone or factory EZ ECU. Unsure if our mounts would work, so you may need custom ones also.

I swapped the EG33 into my old Impreza a few years ago, it was quite the experience doing everything myself. Wiring was probably the most time consuming since I was able to use factory mounting points and the trans bolted right up. Also had to chop up my rad support and customize that whole thing.

Excuse the dates on the pics, it was actually 2011.

The swap won't be everyones cup of tea, as many will feel it ruins the car and it's purpose. Much like Miata owners who shun larger engine swaps because it ruins the perfect 50/50 WD. But if you go this route, and finish, the smile on your face the first time you start it up and the even bigger smile on your face when you feel the wonderful amount of torque in early RPMs will be hard to wipe off.
Great job...

Sent from my TECNO BD4h using Tapatalk
padalinoboredon is offline   Reply With Quote