follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-26-2017, 03:04 AM   #1
mrhandle

Drives: Genesis Coupe 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've done something very regretful

Hello, fella. I'd have to admit that I've done something really regretful and it is going to cost me some money to learn myself a lesson. So here's what happened; I bought a BRZ with an automatic when I originally wanted to get a manual. I had to do this because of the color being so rare(GBS) and it was the only color that I intended to get no matter what from the start. I still love the car, especially with this gorgeous deep blue exterior color. However, part of me keeps saying I should've gone with a manual instead and it really irritated me ever since. Yesterday, the GBS with manual popped up in my near dealership and I'm really hesitated to swap it in. I've only had my automatic GBS for about 2 months now and If I do really happen to trade it in, how much would I lose? I bought my automatic GBS with 17k before TTL and this manual one is showing a price tag of 17k as well. My guess is that I would lose approximately anywhere between 2~4k total? I know I should've waited a little longer but it is what it is :/ any accurate guess would really appreciate. Thank you.
mrhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 03:48 AM   #2
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhandle View Post
Hello, fella. I'd have to admit that I've done something really regretful and it is going to cost me some money to learn myself a lesson. So here's what happened; I bought a BRZ with an automatic when I originally wanted to get a manual. I had to do this because of the color being so rare(GBS) and it was the only color that I intended to get no matter what from the start. I still love the car, especially with this gorgeous deep blue exterior color. However, part of me keeps saying I should've gone with a manual instead and it really irritated me ever since. Yesterday, the GBS with manual popped up in my near dealership and I'm really hesitated to swap it in. I've only had my automatic GBS for about 2 months now and If I do really happen to trade it in, how much would I lose? I bought my automatic GBS with 17k before TTL and this manual one is showing a price tag of 17k as well. My guess is that I would lose approximately anywhere between 2~4k total? I know I should've waited a little longer but it is what it is :/ any accurate guess would really appreciate. Thank you.
Over 9000!
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 04:48 AM   #3
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
If you really want a manual go for it.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:26 AM   #4
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Who cares what color it is?
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:43 AM   #5
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Go in and ask - no need to guess. If you can afford it, do it. If not not enjoy the AT, I love mine.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:56 AM   #6
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
If it is that important to you, why not go ask the dealer and negotiate the price? Somebody can just pick up that car while you are wasting time here.

Strong preferences make one's life harder. You could have bought a manual from the beginning in a different color. There are other nice colors and AT is not that bad either. I wouldn't give up my AT for MT. The car is very good regardless of color and transmission. Enjoy!
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:18 PM   #7
LudwigMiles
Banned

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Go into the dealer and talk to them.
Start off saying you have little money right now.

AT might be easier to sell than MT.
If so, they might be willing to cut their margin.

With a similar trade-in, you will not need to pay sales tax again.
LudwigMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
carsebuco
How do I shift?

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
Who cares what color it is?
Pfft, who even cares what car it is? Trade it in for a Volt and be happy that way.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #9
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
You're gonna lose at least $5000-$7000 because of taxes and the trade-in value of your car. If you put a large down payment (about 25%) then you might not be too buried on the trade.

Best thing for you would be to get some sympathy from the dealership and ask for a large discount on the 6MT BRZ. Dealers usually have more than a couple thousand of dollars of room. If it is the same dealership you bought the automatic BRZ from you'd have a better chance.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:37 PM   #10
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
Go in and ask - no need to guess. If you can afford it, do it. If not not enjoy the AT, I love mine.

Yep just ask, your not obligated to make a deal by asking. If they don't give you enough for your trade-in WALK. Dealerships are desperate end of the month. After Walking you may a get a call the next day with a better deal.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:45 PM   #11
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
go in and ask and see what they say. You can always try to see your automatic yourself (private sale) which usually gets you more than in a dealer trade in
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:13 PM   #12
perryair
junior mafia

Drives: ‘20 sti limited
Quote:
so, this probably isnt what you want to hear but im assuming based on buying a used that you don't have unlimited amounts of money to spend on your cars. (but i could def be wrong on that, im sure). if that is in fact the case, you are going to lose quite a bit on the tradein loss - i think your 4k estimate isn't that far off. if you happened to have an 'extra' 4k to spend on your auto though, you could almost pay for an FI kit and go that route.. i'd just stay pat for the next 2 years or so until you've burned through a bit more of the depreciation and start over.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:24 PM   #13
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Well....if you really wanted to save some money, someone is selling a manual transmission for 400 bucks.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60

You can do the swap yourself and save yourself a pretty good amount of money
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:33 AM   #14
JSube

Drives: 2017 ISM PP BRZ
Quote:
I should've gone with a manual instead and it really irritated me ever since. I know I should've waited a little longer but it is what it is
Life's too short, man. Either wait long enough to save up some/all of the difference or just jump. Automatic guys are as certain of what they want as manual guys, the wrong transmission is never going to feel better. And the longer you keep the manual the less the lost $ matters
JSube is offline   Reply With Quote