follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
Sam Strano

Old 08-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #1471
engee

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
At Laloosh defense, I ran there that day as well. The lot was just resealed that week and the pavement was harsh. Because the lot was just resealed that week and not yet cured, I wouldn't necessarily say that the data would be that useful. Just my 0.02 cents though.

I personally was having a ton of issues with understeer and push. Laloosh drove very well that day considering that his car is not fully prepped yet. There's always gonna be more time out there though. It's just a matter of finding it.

I do have a question for you CS guys though. After the most recent event, my car felt absolutely atrocious (pushed like a pig). I think I'm running too big of a front bar (whiteline 22mm adjustable on full soft). Been thinking about changing to 20mm whiteline adjustable. Anybody here have experience with that bar and how did it feel?

Thanks for the input in advance!
engee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #1472
vroom4

Drives: BRZ
I dont think you should go changing your car based on one event. Where did it push at? Corner entry, mid corner, or exit.

The trick that helped me was completely unhooking the front bar (or in my case snapping it) and see how the car handles. Then you will really know what the bar does.
vroom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:18 PM   #1473
engee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom4 View Post
I dont think you should go changing your car based on one event. Where did it push at? Corner entry, mid corner, or exit.

The trick that helped me was completely unhooking the front bar (or in my case snapping it) and see how the car handles. Then you will really know what the bar does.
Car was pushing in entry and mid corner. Prior to the lot being sealed, I had the car dialed in and not really that big of an issue. Now it just pushes. Front shocks were set at full soft to try and mitigate push. Eventually had to go to pressures of F33 and R43 to get rid of the understeer.

I'm still learning and need to get faster but I feel that general consensus is controlled oversteer is quicker. I've been debating going to a smaller bar for a while. Just really confused on what to do after that one event.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:20 PM   #1474
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by engee View Post
At Laloosh defense, I ran there that day as well. The lot was just resealed that week and the pavement was harsh. Because the lot was just resealed that week and not yet cured, I wouldn't necessarily say that the data would be that useful. Just my 0.02 cents though.

I personally was having a ton of issues with understeer and push. Laloosh drove very well that day considering that his car is not fully prepped yet. There's always gonna be more time out there though. It's just a matter of finding it.

I do have a question for you CS guys though. After the most recent event, my car felt absolutely atrocious (pushed like a pig). I think I'm running too big of a front bar (whiteline 22mm adjustable on full soft). Been thinking about changing to 20mm whiteline adjustable. Anybody here have experience with that bar and how did it feel?

Thanks for the input in advance!
First, I don't think Laloosh needs to be defended. I was not critiquing his run, I was critiquing his belief that he couldn't have taken another second off his time with a perfect run. I hope he is not offended because non of what I said was meant to be malicious, just trying to state that you have to keep an open mind about the difference between a good run and a perfect run.

Second, I run the Whiteline 20mm bar on full soft and I still think it is a bit too stiff. One of the things I didn't like about it, and I am sure the 22mm could have the same problem, is that the bar didn't come very symmetrical. It appears to be a problem with a lot of bars and I am not sure it really affects anythings as long as you adjust the end links with the full weight on the car.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #1475
engee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
First, I don't think Laloosh needs to be defended. I was not critiquing his run, I was critiquing his belief that he couldn't have taken another second off his time with a perfect run. I hope he is not offended because non of what I said was meant to be malicious, just trying to state that you have to keep an open mind about the difference between a good run and a perfect run.

Second, I run the Whiteline 20mm bar on full soft and I still think it is a bit too stiff. One of the things I didn't like about it, and I am sure the 22mm could have the same problem, is that the bar didn't come very symmetrical. It appears to be a problem with a lot of bars and I am not sure it really affects anythings as long as you adjust the end links with the full weight on the car.
Thanks for the input. I think I might go back to stock for a bit, run the car again, and see what I want from there. Surprised to hear that you feel that the 20mm on full soft and you think it's too stiff. Glad I didn't do an impulse buy yet. haha
Old 08-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #1476
qoncept

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I have the 22mm Whiteline bar too, and I think it was just a bit too big when I was on race tires. Now that I'm on street tires I definitely want to try a smaller bar. I doubt I'll go with Whiteline again, though.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #1477
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post
I doubt I'll go with Whiteline again, though.
Mind sharing your experience?
Old 08-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #1478
vroom4

Drives: BRZ
Every single setup I tried, F33 and F43 would lead to disaster oversteer. i think youve got an issue somewhere else as it would suprise me if the front bar could be THAT much too stuff. Go back to OEM before you decide which new bar to order.
vroom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #1479
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Wow, this blew up. Everyone must be antsy and just killing time at work this week before Lincoln. I'll be there Sunday night with my beer, and I'm anxious to see the data on how well people like some Natty Boh.

Safe travels and see you all on the practice course Monday!
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:02 PM   #1480
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom4 View Post
Full soft is supposedly softer than the strano bar...?
This bar- http://www.revworksinc.com/Hotchkis-...R-S_p_672.html

It's 170% stiffer on soft than stock, Strano's is 85%. And it's not one of those crap Japanese manufacturer calling 70% as 170%, it's a legit increase of 170%. It's meant to be paired with their rear bar.

I have it still with VERY little usage on it, if someone wants it cheap at Lincoln.

Here's my ancient FS thread on it, I didn't push it very hard haha http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30420
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:04 PM   #1481
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
Wow, this blew up. Everyone must be antsy and just killing time at work this week before Lincoln. I'll be there Sunday night with my beer, and I'm anxious to see the data on how well people like some Natty Boh.

Safe travels and see you all on the practice course Monday!
Right? Very anxious here.
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #1482
qoncept

Garage
Quote:
Mind sharing your experience?
Just the sentiment that the 20mm Whiteline bar is still too stiff more than anything.

I have had a pretty miserable experience with the 22mm bar - clunking that I've spent probably 30 hours to date trying to resolve, and have multiple times, but it keeps coming back for a different reason. But I don't have any delusions that another brand will be any better. Just crossing my fingers. I think I'll probably go with Strano.

More on my struggle here.. I have a clunk AGAIN, but it may be a loose plastic undertray or my exhaust. Sigh.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...07#post1786807
Old 08-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #1483
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post
Just the sentiment that the 20mm Whiteline bar is still too stiff more than anything.

I have had a pretty miserable experience with the 22mm bar - clunking that I've spent probably 30 hours to date trying to resolve, and have multiple times, but it keeps coming back for a different reason. But I don't have any delusions that another brand will be any better. Just crossing my fingers. I think I'll probably go with Strano.

More on my struggle here.. I have a clunk AGAIN, but it may be a loose plastic undertray or my exhaust. Sigh.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...07#post1786807
Very interesting... I have noticed a small clunk when I get a lot of droop travel, so not really on an autocross course but on rough roads. I figure it is from the uneven sway bar since one side gets very close to the lower control arm when the car is on jack stands. I should check for some of the other issues you are having though, thanks for the link. I think I will not worry about it until after Nats though.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #1484
qoncept

Garage
Quote:
Very interesting... I have noticed a small clunk when I get a lot of droop travel, so not really on an autocross course but on rough roads. I figure it is from the uneven sway bar since one side gets very close to the lower control arm when the car is on jack stands. I should check for some of the other issues you are having though, thanks for the link. I think I will not worry about it until after Nats though.
Likewise, even though I'm not going to Nats. If you have a clunk like mine you'd more than just notice it, though. I'm sure some people could live with it but noises like this are why I finally decided I couldn't stand my WRX anymore (and why I'm in stock class instead of STX with ridiculous spring rates that shake the whole car apart).

The dumbest thing I found was just a loose nut on the sway bar side of the endlink, a sound you can probably imagine. The sad part is pretty much every other issue has sounded exactly the same.

Edit: Maybe worth nothing, the Whiteline bar is "inside-out" so you have to use aftermarket endlinks. I think, anyway. It's been a few days since I've looked at it.