follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #15
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It depends on if it destroyed the output shaft. If not its only a couple dollars for the bearing and a few HOURS of labor to remove the transmission. Make sure you get new bearing retainer clips as they are small and either broken or missing. Probably 500$
Old 11-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #16
Kevinn

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited, Black, Manual
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
That is 100% throw out bearing. Stop wasting time and throwing ideas out there. Ecu relearn? Seriously? It's the throw out bearing rattling around. When the clutch fork presses against it it can't rattle anymore. I've replaced a few already. It could also be the throughout bearing retainer clips are broken and it's spinning around wildly. If you pull the inspection plate or the dust boot off the transmission you can look in and see.
/\ This

Most likely the throwout bearing isn't going to be a warrantable repair since it's a wearable item like tires/clutch/brakes. Unless you can prove that there was a defect in manufacturing of the part that's causing it to prematurely go bad.

Don't double clutch. There's no need. Just causes more wear on the assembly.

You said you smell burning clutch? Might as well replace the clutch as well since you'll have everything disassembled. The clutch is usually way cheaper than the labor to take everything all apart again.

Usually the throwout bearing starts out as a whooshing sound when the peddle is not pressed. The noise goes away after pressing the peddle down. It's one of those noises that usually start out mild, and progressively get worse, and most people wait till they need a new clutch to do both at the same time. Yours sounds a little more urgent than that.
Kevinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevinn For This Useful Post:
bdanisi (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #17
bdanisi
You Made Bro?

Drives: Raven 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinn View Post
/\ This

Most likely the throwout bearing isn't going to be a warrantable repair since it's a wearable item like tires/clutch/brakes. Unless you can prove that there was a defect in manufacturing of the part that's causing it to prematurely go bad.

Don't double clutch. There's no need. Just causes more wear on the assembly.

You said you smell burning clutch? Might as well replace the clutch as well since you'll have everything disassembled. The clutch is usually way cheaper than the labor to take everything all apart again.

Usually the throwout bearing starts out as a whooshing sound when the peddle is not pressed. The noise goes away after pressing the peddle down. It's one of those noises that usually start out mild, and progressively get worse, and most people wait till they need a new clutch to do both at the same time. Yours sounds a little more urgent than that.
You sound too knowledgeable and too correct and sounds exactly like what I'm dealing with. I just really hope your wrong as its the holidays and I'm broke as hell. But I guess priorities time to save for a new clutch. Need to upgrade anyway as I plan on on going SC next year. Feel free to make this into a aftermarket clutch suggestion thread lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2014, 01:35 PM   #18
M&W_FRS

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is your car still under warranty? The dealership replaced my throw out bearing under warranty and is now replacing my clutch under warranty too. From searching around, it seems like this is a somewhat common problem with these cars.
M&W_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:39 PM   #19
Kevinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&W_FRS View Post
Is your car still under warranty? The dealership replaced my throw out bearing under warranty and is now replacing my clutch under warranty too. From searching around, it seems like this is a somewhat common problem with these cars.
So there is hope. What I'd be worried about is them taking all them labor hours to drop your transmission, only for them to say it's your fault and try sticking you with a bill.

But if you let the bearing go too long, and it fails, you won't be able to shift gears using the clutch. You'd have to put the car into first gear with the engine off, press the clutch while starting the car (car will start lurching forward) and then 'float' the gears. Repeating this process everytime you have to come to a full stop.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:48 PM   #20
Kevinn

Under more severe throw out bearing fail situations, you could risk damaging the shaft and/or forks. They can fail anywhere between 100 to 100,000 miles after they start making noise, so it's really a gamble. Just stating facts is all. Try talking to the dealership first of course to see if it's warrantable
Old 11-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #21
M&W_FRS

I could definitely see them trying to deny the warranty claim based on presumption of poor driving. I think that is a risk any time there are clutch problems, its easy for them to blame it on you. Thankfully with this car, there is enough evidence online that the throw out bearing (and apparently the whole clutch and transmission) is a common issue.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:58 PM   #22
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
This car is a time bomb as it sits. Stop wasting time and take it to the dealer. Or replace the TB yourself. Takes about 2 hours in a driveway with jackstands.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:05 PM   #23
Kevinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&W_FRS View Post
I could definitely see them trying to deny the warranty claim based on presumption of poor driving. I think that is a risk any time there are clutch problems, its easy for them to blame it on you. Thankfully with this car, there is enough evidence online that the throw out bearing (and apparently the whole clutch and transmission) is a common issue.
I don't know if you have a 3rd party extended warranty, but from experience, I've had a dealership bill a 3rd party extended warranty company for a repair that was obviously my fault, cause they knew the manufacturer would deny the warranty claim if it was billed to the factory warranty.

The manufacturer wants the failed parts sent back to them so they can analyse it for their own records. 3rd party warranty companies typically don't. The dealership would be in hot water for authorizing a factory warranty repair on an obvious customer caused failure.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #24
M&W_FRS

My warranty is the standard one through Toyota. My car is bone stock with the stock tires, adult owned, driven to and from work with only 12k miles on it after 1.5 years. They didn't try to argue that it was customer caused and they replaced the throwout bearing under warranty without question.

I dont know bdasini or his driving style or what modifications his car has or even what condition his car is in. Given all the instances of throw out bearing failure on the twins, I imagine he too could have a pretty strong case though.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #25
Kevinn

Let us know what the dealer says, and the outcome
Old 11-26-2014, 06:16 PM   #26
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
This car is a time bomb as it sits. Stop wasting time and take it to the dealer. Or replace the TB yourself. Takes about 2 hours in a driveway with jackstands.

While conventional wisdom agrees, for a newbie or someone un-initiated with transmission removal budget the whole day, start early and have a backup day just in case.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #27
bdanisi
You Made Bro?

Drives: Raven 86
I'm at 47k ish miles. Modified. Mostly bolt ons though. And they replaced that fuel pump under warranty and if they deny me on this clutch tb situation I'll just go to fuzion teknique.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #28
Speed2th
I love my series blue brz

Drives: 2010 335d
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
just go to different dealership to get it repaired. some dealers are idiots, i agree it is throw out bearing.
Speed2th is offline   Reply With Quote