follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
cammyfive

Drives: 2012 Hyundai Veloster
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rattles/Squeaks in the BRZ?

After all of the rave reviews from the 'pros' and forum members here alike I have added a BRZ to the short list of cars I'm going to look at near the end of summer (I'm currently driving a Hyundai Veloster and will sell private party to break even then). I'm excited about the spirit this engine has and most of all the RWD handling. I'm curious about any sort of squeaks or rattles in the new BRZ over broken pavement or any other structural rigidity issues with the car...can anyone comment on this?
cammyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
blu_

Drives: SWP BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I don't have any rattles at all yet. over rougher roads the suspension is stiff, but there is no crashing, banging, or rattling.... yet.
blu_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blu_ For This Useful Post:
normancw (05-29-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
cammyfive

Thanks! I assumed the structural rigidity of the car would be rather high considering it's intended handling prowess. Also, the lack of a sunroof, while really my only sore spot with the car, obviously helps it maintain a tight structure. How about normal road and engine noise in the car while commuting?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
blu_

Its not loud at all while cruising, just at WOT above ~4k RPM. Then the intake tube gets loud, but I kind of like it for a 2L 4 banger. That said some people really don't like the sound boxer engines make, so what engine noise there is could sound like total crap to someone else and drive them nuts.

Road noise is also not bad at all IMO. I find the car to be nice to drive. I put 250 miles on it in 2 days and didn't feel sore or exhausted.

It is small. That's something I am going to hopefully get used to in a DD. Finding places for things like key cards, drink bottles, aux cords can get troubling.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
cammyfive

Good info! I don't mind some (pleasant) noise when I'm really giving it the spurs but I'd like a 'tame' car when I'm commuting or road tripping. My Veloster has a few annoying rattles and it just turned over 8 months old and 17K miles. Yeah, yeah...I know the Veloster isn't really in the same class but it does annoy me so I want to make sure that my next car is focused on rattle free operation.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
This is a very good question to ask! Those noises drive me INSANE. I was daily driving my Toyota MR2 for the past year or so, and the creaks, squeaks, and rattles became too much to bear! I know the car is 26 years old and has 200k miles on it, but I've literally taken every interior panel out of the car and added additional foam and felt insulation to prevent these noises, and the car STILL MAKES THEM!!! Can't stand it. Not to mention I went to work selling Audis this past year, and they are DEAD SILENT inside, which I love. The S4 I'm leasing is like a dream, just needs a little more aggressive exhaust tone and it'll be perfect. I just don't want the Subaru to feel like a used car after 6 months if it starts creaking or rattling.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
cammyfive

^Agreed. I actually worked for Hyundai is sales for a number of years and started at the Infiniti dealership this past year. Nice to meet a fellow car guy.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
blu_

A few small things I am starting to notice.

There is a small "clunk" from the drive shaft/rear diff when shifting into first after coming to a stop. Pretty sure this is just the synchros working and is normal.

Very very small rattle coming from the back seat. Possibly the rear seat belts, or I didn't close the fold down back seats all the way yesterday. Can only hear it when the HVAC and radio is off. Its tiny, but is the first potential rattle.

The engine from the outside sounds odd for a boxer. It almost makes a pulsating squeaking noise, like a pulley is making sound, but I cant locate it. Prolly already broke it, from my hard break in

edit: 350ish miles btw. Just for a reference I already had found about 10 issues with my Legacy at this point. I have problems....
The Following User Says Thank You to blu_ For This Useful Post:
Thefuzz (06-14-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
wu_dot_com

Drives: accord
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
nothing yet. about 500 miles into the break in
wu_dot_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
mattles
Proud of FR Layout

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
over 1000 miles of dailying this car, I can report that the only thing on it that is loud is the transmission/driveline. I cant pinpoint it, but as mentioned when shifting down into first it will thunk/clatter on occasion. The transmissions makes wonderful snick noises, clack noises, etc. To me this is perfection, but maybe I am weird.

I come from a life of owning mostly Miatas, so maybe Im used to a noisy transmission, the upside of which is that you truly always know what the trans is doing. Another miata comparison, the FRS doesnt bump/rattle/squeak like the miatas do, god damn now that was annoying.
Da Breeze (04-16-2016)
Old 05-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
blu_

Nice. Yeah the clunk sound was something I wasn't used to, but some people with Miatas and S2000's I know said it was normal. I also like transmission noises. I went out of my way to make the driveline as loud as possible on my STI.

The family of mice living in my engine, might drive me nuts though. Will need an exhaust to drown out their chatting. To be fair though you cant hear it unless outside the car.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #12
Scooby

Drives: Audi A5 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Not to mention I went to work selling Audis this past year, and they are DEAD SILENT inside, which I love.
That silence is seriously addictive isn't it?
Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #13
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Yup!!! I get in people's trade-ins and wonder how they live with all the little noises they make. I'm like a dog when it comes to that stuff - super sensitive hearing!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:17 PM   #14
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Yup!!! I get in people's trade-ins and wonder how they live with all the little noises they make. I'm like a dog when it comes to that stuff - super sensitive hearing!
My WRX had a few odd rattles, but one or two that really bothered me. Ex-gf's old Saturn, the whole thing rattled and I have no idea how she lived with it. I understand silence, I get it. My parents both have cushy Lexus vehicles that are quiet, but to me it's just awkward. A faux silence, like living in the suburbs.

Most rattles can be covered up with an exhaust, it's just those rattles that ONLY happen at a certain harmonic frequency that annoy me.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote