follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-26-2018, 01:18 PM   #1
spitsnaugle

Drives: LS Swapped Scion FRS = 440HP
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Engine + Trans Removal - from below

Hi all,

I recently added a four post lift to my garage, looking to drop the engine out of my FRS, ideally from below.

Has anyone done it with a four post?

Is there any good way to get the steering rack and sway bar out of the way?

With a two post lift, I'd just drop suspension and all at once, but with my four post- i've got 44" between to work with.

I havent done too much research/digging under the car yet, but will post my progress and learnings if no one else has info.
spitsnaugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #2
spitfire481

Drives: 2JZ FRS
Thanked 1,354 Times in 621 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
pull the trans from underneath, then yank the motor out from the top. super easy
@spitfire481
spitfire481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:48 PM   #3
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Yeah for sure go out the top. It's crazy easy. You don't even need to drop the tranny. Just throw a jack under the tranny to hold it up, then unbolt it and move the engine forward to free it of the tranny and it lifts right out. You don't even need to remove the radiator to get enough space to move it forward and free of the tranny. It's by far the easiest engine pull I've ever done. If you go out the bottom you would be in for a lot more work. I assume you would have to unbolt suspension and all that which also leads to an alignment.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-27-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 12:04 PM   #4
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I was looking at the bottom of the car it looks like the suspension wouldn't be in the way (thank you Macpherson) and the subframe for sway bar and other subframe look crazy easy to remove.

Still curious about this though because it's applicable to my interests. I don't have room in my garage for an engine crane and once I'm racing I won't have room on the trailer for an engine crane so an 'out-the-bottom-solution' is needed should I need to pull the engine at the race track (which happens).

The sway bar subframe is circled in yellow and the adjoining black cross brace (Engine cradle?) would need to be pulled. But the engine is in front of the steer rack and looks to clear the lower control arms so it doesn't appear there would be any real difficulty going out from the bottom. Always looking for feedback from someone who's done this.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:09 PM   #5
ermax

I’ve only gone out the top so I’m not sure what would be involved but one thing that is a pain going out the top is the AC lines don’t like to bend and to get the compressor clear your on the verge of bending the lines to their limit. Going out the bottom would avoid that. Being a boxer you wouldn’t need all that much clearance under the car to do it. I have this brace thing that rests across the engine bay and has cables that hang off the brace that you can tie to the engine to support it while the subframe is removed. That would be handy for lowering the engine to the ground vs using a jack.

It would be cool if you could use a trailer as sort of a lift. Like wench the car up onto the trailer and then lift the trailer enough to be able to climb under it and access the car from bellow.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:32 PM   #6
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,434 Times in 6,149 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
It would be super dangerous if you could use a trailer as sort of a lift. Like wench the car up onto the trailer and then lift the trailer enough to be able to climb under it and access the car from bellow.
Fify. If the car we're level and chocked it might be ok to shift that weight around when supported by springs. Add the angle and the trailer and you are getting into real sketchy territory.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:29 PM   #7
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Fify. If the car we're level and chocked it might be ok to shift that weight around when supported by springs. Add the angle and the trailer and you are getting into real sketchy territory.

I’m talking about fabricating a trailer that could be used as a lift. Not just a standard trailer. You could have hydraulic rams on all 4 corners and lift it up on a good surface perfectly level. I’d rather do that than climb under a car that is on 3ft high jack stands while yanking around trying to separate the engine from the tranny.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (11-29-2018), Spuds (11-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2021, 11:50 PM   #8
BrZ_Good

Drives: '13 BRZ Ice Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Me and my amateur gang of dudes are having a hard time getting the engine back in. It’s hard to lean this motor back while aligning with trans and motor Mount holes. We absolutely destroyed my input shaft bearing with the shaft🥺probably gonna drop the trans out of the bottom, reattach and stick in back in the top
BrZ_Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 12:06 AM   #9
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
How I support the engine with a tie-down strap when removing the transmission
Old 12-29-2021, 02:36 PM   #10
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,326 Times in 7,384 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
I’m talking about fabricating a trailer that could be used as a lift. Not just a standard trailer. You could have hydraulic rams on all 4 corners and lift it up on a good surface perfectly level. I’d rather do that than climb under a car that is on 3ft high jack stands while yanking around trying to separate the engine from the tranny.
They have lift trailers. Not what you are talking about but they are pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrZ_Good View Post
Me and my amateur gang of dudes are having a hard time getting the engine back in. It’s hard to lean this motor back while aligning with trans and motor Mount holes. We absolutely destroyed my input shaft bearing with the shaft🥺probably gonna drop the trans out of the bottom, reattach and stick in back in the top
There is an app for that.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-qu...QaAqk7EALw_wcB
Ultramaroon (12-29-2021)