follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #1
glorydays
Remember me?

Drives: BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Whats my car worth? (Built engine, Turbo kit)

So unfortunately i may have to sell my brz as I am moving to another country, cant take it with me and dont want to leave it in storage for 3 years. Im just looking to get an idea of what its worth before i decide what to do with it. im not expecting to get all of my money back but I dont want to lose too much. Its got around 13k in mods, mostly to the engine, turbo kit, and exhaust but stock suspension and off brand wheels/tires. its a 2015 series.blue. theres 77k on the chassis and 3k on the engine. the body is a 7/10.
some mods are: manley rods, pistons (10:1), beehive valve springs, pte5558 bb gen2 turbo, 2.5in exhaust, south bend stg2 clutch (0miles as of today), dw300c, id1000s, hks super fires, optima yellow top, gta car kits android double din, JL 1000w amp, 10" sub box, much more but thats the gist of it. it made 324/284 on 92 but is capable of much more once the tune is complete or better fuel is used.
glorydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #2
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,427 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Find out what at stock one of similar mileage is worth, then subtract 1k for every 5k in mods?

I sound like an arse, but finding the right buyer with a deadline is going to be difficult. Sounds like you did a good job making it yours, but it's not theirs.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (07-13-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 08:02 PM   #3
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Best bet is to put it up for auction
Old 07-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #4
glorydays
Remember me?

@Spuds If I were trading it in you'd have a point but I'm selling private party so let's try to be realistic...
Old 07-12-2019, 08:31 PM   #5
VIP BRZ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Your 13k is a total loss, unless you can harvest the parts and sell them individually

in fact... they degrade the total value of the car. If someone is interested in a modified vehicle then the'd purchase a stock vehicle and get the 13k in mods THEY wanted.

its worth whatever a stock vehicle of the same age/millage range in your area is worth.
VIP BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VIP BRZ For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-12-2019), Mr.ac (07-12-2019), MuseChaser (07-13-2019), soundman98 (07-13-2019), Spuds (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 08:48 PM   #6
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
What's a high mileage series.blue go for in hawaii? Take that, and start with that as your asking and go down from there. It's an incomplete project car to someone and it has a somewhat checkered past and unproven setup.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:55 PM   #7
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If you can find someone that is looking for a pre-built, fun, track car, they may give you $15,000 for it. -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:28 PM   #8
glorydays
Remember me?

Most of them are at 18k plus out here. The dealerships have them in the 20s. Will probably invest in some stabil and stick it in a family members garage.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:55 PM   #9
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorydays View Post
@Spuds If I were trading it in you'd have a point but I'm selling private party so let's try to be realistic...
Old 07-12-2019, 11:06 PM   #10
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
If you can find someone that is looking for a pre-built, fun, track car, they may give you $15,000 for it. -

humfrz
$15k sounds about right. A bit high but that's the amount I would spend.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:06 AM   #11
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

humfrz
In Hawaii? There's drag strips, but I can't find any real tracks on Google.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 01:16 AM   #12
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,672 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
my co-worker and i were just talking about buying cars from relatives, as his grandma is pushing him to buy so-and-so's car "for a work car to keep your truck nice"

my first reaction was that i hate buying or selling cars from anyone i have any relationship with. as we talked about it, i realized that similar to relationships, i don't ever want to know a cars comprehensive history. i could never go out with a girl that i knew my cousin had seriously gone out with for years, just as i don't ever want to intimately know the characteristics of the last owner, and modifications of any car are a direct reflection of the owner.

buying a modded car from anyone is too personal for me. i already have an overeager imagination, i don't need anyone else's interpretation of what a 'car' should be. when i look at modded cars for sale, i immediately factor in the costs of replacing components that don't jive with my concept of 'car', and subtract it from the asking price. i've never owned a car that was modded by someone else, so i think it's pretty clear how much it subtracted from the asking price...

additions/modifications of any sort don't add anything to any car. spuds is actually pretty accurate in his estimate of how to account for it all. modifications are not investments. modifications are self-gratification, like a triple-shot espresso. once you use the item, there is very little return on the money put towards it.
humfrz (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 01:23 AM   #13
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
my co-worker and i were just talking about buying cars from relatives, as his grandma is pushing him to buy so-and-so's car "for a work car to keep your truck nice"

my first reaction was that i hate buying or selling cars from anyone i have any relationship with. as we talked about it, i realized that similar to relationships, i don't ever want to know a cars comprehensive history. i could never go out with a girl that i knew my cousin had seriously gone out with for years, just as i don't ever want to intimately know the characteristics of the last owner, and modifications of any car are a direct reflection of the owner.

buying a modded car from anyone is too personal for me. i already have an overeager imagination, i don't need anyone else's interpretation of what a 'car' should be. when i look at modded cars for sale, i immediately factor in the costs of replacing components that don't jive with my concept of 'car', and subtract it from the asking price. i've never owned a car that was modded by someone else, so i think it's pretty clear how much it subtracted from the asking price...

additions/modifications of any sort don't add anything to any car. spuds is actually pretty accurate in his estimate of how to account for it all. modifications are not investments. modifications are self-gratification, like a triple-shot espresso. once you use the item, there is very little return on the money put towards it.
Pretty sure he meant storage, not selling it to them.

But i agree with you. I don't talk religion, politics, finance, buy/sell/loan $ with friends or family. I will give money or my labor for free in certain cases, but whatever I do or give is a gift I don't expect or want anything in return.

OP, if you have a family member with extra storage space and doesn't mind I would go that route. You could always put up an advert and see what offers you get before you leave. You won't know unless you try.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:36 AM   #14
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,672 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
Pretty sure he meant storage, not selling it to them.

But i agree with you. I don't talk religion, politics, finance, buy/sell/loan $ with friends or family. I will give money or my labor for free in certain cases, but whatever I do or give is a gift I don't expect or want anything in return.

OP, if you have a family member with extra storage space and doesn't mind I would go that route. You could always put up an advert and see what offers you get before you leave. You won't know unless you try.
i didn't mean selling it to the family, just meant selling it in general-- he unintentionally made it clear the modifications are his emotional tie to the car by stating how much he put into it first in the OP.

so the first step in selling any car is to become emotionally detached and look at the raw figures. and my story budded from that concept of emotional attachment..

#humfrztime
humfrz (07-13-2019)