follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 07-17-2017, 01:06 PM   #15
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Haha FYI 86EXPO is owned by us FT86Club. 86Fest is owned by Antonio. Antonio is a good guy and he's car enthuse for sure specially AE86, he's a diehard fan! Just not organized.... but I can't say much either. We had a hard time organizing few yr's back 86EXPO. We had very limited staff w huge space, we were dying.
his job is to organize an event, so being unorganized is not really an excuse. It takes money to make money. I get that. But making money without giving customers some sort value for the amt they paid is a ripoff. Outside of the racing events, the rest felt like a car meet with little to no entertainment value.
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:12 PM   #16
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideFRS View Post
his job is to organize an event, so being unorganized is not really an excuse. It takes money to make money. I get that. But making money without giving customers some sort value for the amt they paid is a ripoff. Outside of the racing events, the rest felt like a car meet with little to no entertainment value.
I agree with you & your statement is totally true & legit. This is the biggest issue they're having AND struggle since first event. For me, I can't point finger and judge, cuz I'm in the same boat to make sure I don't do that lol
Old 07-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #17
bear89103
Old Fart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideFRS View Post
I think it would be more fair to say that his job is to promote an event. He is an owner and he's good at "talking up" (promoting) the event. But he really needs a event manager. He used to have that with a partner of his, but they parted ways and it's been going further and further downhill from there.

bear89103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:26 PM   #18
CatalystPLUR
That Auto Guy

Drives: Ultramarine FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
TBH if his goal was to make money on tickets even that was poorly done. Heard from multiple people they got in for free/ just walked in weren't check for tickets and didn't have wrist bands. It was a car meet where some people paid and the rest go to enjoy with nothing out of pocket. Honestly upset I paid when some didn't.
CatalystPLUR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CatalystPLUR For This Useful Post:
C3P-joe (07-17-2017), Chronology (07-17-2017), Drakiv (07-17-2017), EdBoy (07-18-2017), Kordless (07-18-2017), KR-S (07-18-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 07:27 PM   #19
14monoblue

Drives: 2014
I was there when he came in and apologize to the guest. He said that the speedway was supposed to have about 30 security on hand to do the parking and what sombut when the day came none of the staff that was hired showed up. I agree with all y'all comments but I work in a place where this stuff happens too and it's a pain when you expect something and get nothing for what you pay for. He pay for security and got none except for the ones he walked in with.
14monoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:54 PM   #20
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
86fest is always a clusterfuck because Antonio has illusions (or should I say disillusions) of grandeur, always making the show "bigger" than what he's able to deliver (this year combining it with GTA, etc. and inviting just a random collection of makes and models, etc.). He's known to also screw over vendors and staff, mostly because, as again, he overpromises and under delivers. Seems the organizers never learn and address the problems; they just think they made it happen again this year so it means we can make it bigger next year.

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DSOmegaX For This Useful Post:
Drakiv (07-17-2017), EdBoy (07-18-2017), MJones_RB (07-19-2017), R2RO (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 07:58 PM   #21
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I'll also add that for those who dealt with "staff" who didn't know anything, I hope you guys didn't take your frustrations out on them. Most of the so-called "staff" were actually just vendor people who the organizers simply pulled to help out without giving any information or instruction at all because their actual staff abandoned them.

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSOmegaX For This Useful Post:
Drakiv (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 08:08 PM   #22
D5teph
Automotive Enthusiast

Drives: Zenki 86
Horrible. 1st time attending 86 Fest and very unorganized. It felt merely like a very small car meet. Tbh, Socal Euro has better turn outs than this. Very disappointing, I was expecting the event to be as good as some videos I've seen on youtube....I dont know if I'll return next year.

However, the track runs and autocross/drifting was the best part of the day. And thats about it though...
Old 07-17-2017, 08:28 PM   #23
Drakiv
Project Shadow

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
I'll also add that for those who dealt with "staff" who didn't know anything, I hope you guys didn't take your frustrations out on them. Most of the so-called "staff" were actually just vendor people who the organizers simply pulled to help out without giving any information or instruction at all because their actual staff abandoned them.
Nope, never took it out on them, just very disappointed walking away with no info or help. All were very friendly, just had no info on anything going on. If I ever attend this again, it will just be to participate in the time attacks.

Instagram: Drakiv
Drakiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:39 AM   #24
MoreBRZMoreCHRZ

Drives: 2014 Crystal Black Silica BRZ
Garage
Kinda bummed with the turnout, but met some cool people and got to try setting up a booth to sell some stuff. I learned I was not prepared . So all in all good for me.

And in comparison to other fests, communication with the road course drivers seemed way better. I've tracked while subie and nissan fest were going on and it sucked. Most drivers missed their run because they didn't have all the PA speakers working and communication between the starters and the track organizers were pretty much non existent.

But, that said, I sat and watched people sit in there cars for a very long time before they parked, and that was after they got in so I can only imagine the chaos behind them.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:45 AM   #25
Chronology

Drives: 13' Satin White Pearl BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
I'd have to say, even if the staff on site was not knowledgeable, they were friendly as possible in the hot hot heat.
RS*R Sport-I w/custom spring rate / Cusco Front/Rear Sways, Cusco Diff Brace / Cusco Power Brace (Rear/Front/Upper/Lower) / JDL UEL Headers / INVIDIA Q300 Ti / Valenti Revo Tails and rear backup/ EcuTek / Moto-East Flexfuel / Moto-East E85 tune
Chronology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:32 PM   #26
Kordless

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Terrible, especially when the highlight of the event for me wasn't even 86 related.

Lines were long, vendors put forth no effort, terrible organization, paying was essentially optional.

They said they were gonna tow my car if i left it parked outside the ticket booth and walked, I have to pay $15 for parking, so I did and when I left, most of the cars that I saw earlier were parked there with no tow truck in sight.

I liked hanging out with friends around their 86 but I can do that any day of the week for free and in a venue much closer.

Felt like a glorified car meet with piss poor management.

Claimed there was a promo for Federal tires but no booth or information anywhere on the website or at the event.

I would only go next year if I didn't have to pay anything for admission or parking.
Kordless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kordless For This Useful Post:
Barusu (07-18-2017), Chronology (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #27
Barusu

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Second year in a row going and the event was definitely less exciting. I was able to talk to the vendors, see the cars and talk with some owners, but I was able to do that within the span of about two hours. Overall, I'm unsatisfied with what I paid for; I hope they listen to their community, because I would love to come back if they fixed the major issues.

Last edited by Barusu; 07-18-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Barusu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barusu For This Useful Post:
Chronology (07-18-2017), R2RO (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 08:38 PM   #28
rt-86

Drives: '15 Ultramarine FR-S
I had high expectations for this event (as it was my first time going to 86Fest) and wow... I couldn't have been more disappointed. I spent more time in the parking lot (prior to getting wristbands) than the actual event itself. Pretty sad if you ask me.
rt-86 is offline   Reply With Quote