follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2016, 08:55 PM   #1
CelicaJoe

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This car is impossible to find

If any of you have ever watched the office, and remember when they had to make a commercial for Dunder Mifflin and it stars out with a man walking up and down the aisles waving his hand at salesmen trying to catch someone's att still, that's how I feel trying to buy this car. Every single time I find the right one (three times now) it's sold before they could take the ad down or sold the next day after I inquired. I've finally saved up enough, after nearly 2 years of being obsessed with this car. I thought that was going to be the hard part, I never though finding one to buy would be this tough.
I've narrowed what I want down to a limited brz, either white, wrb, or gbs. Aiming for less than 20k but can afford up to 22 if it was worth it. And I'm searching in a 500 mile radius of where I live and still have difficulty finding one!
I have to say, though. Somehow this makes me love the car even more, just one more irritating step that'll make me appreciate it that much more when I finally do buy it.

I test drove a new one a couple weeks back because I had only driven an automatic last year, and I had planned on looking at other cars but that test drive sold me 100%. There might be a better car out there but I honestly don't care to find it.
CelicaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CelicaJoe For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (05-15-2016), Tcoat (05-15-2016), Ultramaroon (05-15-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 09:11 PM   #2
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
take a gander at the cars for sale section on our forums every now and then. GL to you in your search
Old 05-15-2016, 09:12 PM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Holy crap!
I read that and thought "how hard can it be to find a used BRZ in Florida?".
Then I checked Autotrader. Two or three used ones in each major city.
That's nuts.
CelicaJoe (05-16-2016), nickmerronesucks (05-16-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 09:12 PM   #4
rookie

Drives: 1991 Formula Red NSX
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
My buying experience is similar and I know exactly what you're going through. A couple times the private seller I found either flaked on me or was slow to respond though I made it clear I was ready to buy. I'm glad things worked out the way they did otherwise I would've settled for a lesser 86 and I wouldn't have been 100% satisfied.

Be patient, it'll be worth it!
rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rookie For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-15-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 09:16 PM   #5
tommewin

Drives: '15 BRZ
On cars.com you can set alerts so that you get an email if a listing gets created that meets your criteria.
tommewin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tommewin For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-15-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 09:16 PM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie View Post
My buying experience is similar and I know exactly what you're going through. A couple times the private seller I found either flaked on me or was slow to respond though I made it clear I was ready to buy. I'm glad things worked out the way they did otherwise I would've settled for a lesser 86 and I wouldn't have been 100% satisfied.

I can understand them being hardtop find for you.

Wisconsin!

I would think you would be tripping over the damn things in Florida.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:41 PM   #7
iggy

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You're looking for a very desirable combination and they go FAST.

I should know....I just bought one that meets your criteria that had been for sale less than a week.

My advice: be patient and have your financing (if you are financing it) in order so you can jump as soon as you find the right car.

Best of luck in your search!
iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:11 PM   #8
rookie

Drives: 1991 Formula Red NSX
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I did end up driving 7 hours to pick up my used BRZ with under 500 miles so be patient and you'll be happy you did.

Also if there is a Carmax in your area, they do free transports from other Carmax to your local one with no obligation to buy.
rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rookie For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-16-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 11:20 PM   #9
CelicaJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie View Post

Every time I'm looking that crosses my mind "should I just say screw it and get an frs? I wasn't even sure a month ago which I wanted" but the interior was so disappointing to me, coming from someone with a cheap interior as it is. So I've just gotta wait it out
Old 05-15-2016, 11:36 PM   #10
2013GTRNate

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Garage
Not the case in SoCal... Lots of kids get sideways quickly and have no choice but to sell. So they are all over the place out here. You are braver than me though this is the biggest tuner car EVER and is literally purchased in 90% of cases to modify. After seeing how people treat their cars I would always prefer to buy new whenever possible. Best of luck to you though. I hope that you find that special one, because it sure sounds like you have worked hard and will appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelicaJoe View Post
If any of you have ever watched the office, and remember when they had to make a commercial for Dunder Mifflin and it stars out with a man walking up and down the aisles waving his hand at salesmen trying to catch someone's att still, that's how I feel trying to buy this car. Every single time I find the right one (three times now) it's sold before they could take the ad down or sold the next day after I inquired. I've finally saved up enough, after nearly 2 years of being obsessed with this car. I thought that was going to be the hard part, I never though finding one to buy would be this tough.
I've narrowed what I want down to a limited brz, either white, wrb, or gbs. Aiming for less than 20k but can afford up to 22 if it was worth it. And I'm searching in a 500 mile radius of where I live and still have difficulty finding one!
I have to say, though. Somehow this makes me love the car even more, just one more irritating step that'll make me appreciate it that much more when I finally do buy it.

I test drove a new one a couple weeks back because I had only driven an automatic last year, and I had planned on looking at other cars but that test drive sold me 100%. There might be a better car out there but I honestly don't care to find it.

My BRZ's thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47467
2013GTRNate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2013GTRNate For This Useful Post:
Jaden (05-17-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 12:23 AM   #11
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
It doesn't help that dealerships don't have much interest in stocking them since they won't sell as easily as a Camry or a Forester.

You know exactly what you want and you have cash ready to throw down, can't you just ask a dealership to go find one for you?
Old 05-16-2016, 12:35 AM   #12
CelicaJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
It doesn't help that dealerships don't have much interest in stocking them since they won't sell as easily as a Camry or a Forester.

You know exactly what you want and you have cash ready to throw down, can't you just ask a dealership to go find one for you?
I'm in college and living on my own making $10 an hour, it would be pretty tough to manage a new car right now. I thought I could but I worked out all the numbers and I can't really take on that high of payments
Old 05-16-2016, 12:40 AM   #13
CelicaJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013GTRNate View Post
Not the case in SoCal... Lots of kids get sideways quickly and have no choice but to sell. So they are all over the place out here. You are braver than me though this is the biggest tuner car EVER and is literally purchased in 90% of cases to modify. After seeing how people treat their cars I would always prefer to buy new whenever possible. Best of luck to you though. I hope that you find that special one, because it sure sounds like you have worked hard and will appreciate it.
I wouldn't say 90%, at least not in my area. The one thing I've noticed talking to people about these is the owners are generally over 40. ans while their age alone doesn't mean they didn't modify it, their personalities sure did. I'm no foreigner to buying best to hell cars and paying for it soon after I bought it, and I'm making sure I'm overly cautious with this purchase.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:59 AM   #14
2013GTRNate

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelicaJoe View Post
I wouldn't say 90%, at least not in my area. The one thing I've noticed talking to people about these is the owners are generally over 40. ans while their age alone doesn't mean they didn't modify it, their personalities sure did. I'm no foreigner to buying best to hell cars and paying for it soon after I bought it, and I'm making sure I'm overly cautious with this purchase.
I can understand that.

My BRZ's thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47467
2013GTRNate is offline   Reply With Quote