follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 04-17-2016, 07:01 PM   #1009
TylerLieberman

Drives: '20 Hakone 86
Thanked 3,333 Times in 1,571 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
I've got the PBM kit and it looks like I will need wider fenders to fit any tire bigger than 215 under there. I test fitted my 18x9.5 wheels and I didn't dare try driving on them because I knew they would rip off the fenders.

I'm looking at the Todoroki fenders, but it's hard to justify the $1200 price tag and I worry 30mm might not be enough clearance. I'm tempted to just order the Rocket Bunny front fenders since they're only $500, but that would probably look really goofy.

The worst part is that until I figure out this fender problem, I can't track or drift my car
17s are the way. I had my 18x9.5 TE37s on Todoroki fenders, and they rubbed with just the inner tie rods. If you opt to go with 17s up front, you can definitely make it work with the Todoroki fenders, which look a billion times better than the riveted on RB stuff.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:41 PM   #1010
Manji
Toyotas don't have boxers

Drives: GTV86, ISF, TE27
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I have PBM and run a 17 up front. Only need to run a 215 anyway. I don't have any understeer and wouldn't ever think to go with a larger front tyre than a 215. I'd actually be tempted to step down to a 205.

My wheel is 17x8.5 +16, front track increased about 15mm each side, 3.5 camber, stock body. Seemed to be the best overall compromise between looks, lock, required grip, streetable alignment, caliper clearance and desire to keep stock body.

With Todoroki fenders I'd probably still run the same wheel, and run ~20mm more track via LCA, and adjust camber to more positive setting at top hat to keep it around 3.5.
But I only use all the lock I have atm when I've basically cocked up and am scrubbing off speed or "saving" it; so don't see the need to run the fenders to chase more lock than I'm using now.

Remember that a 8 or 8.5" wide wheel can still look like a 9.5 or 10; if you get the offset right. My 17x8.5 +16 sits the same as say a 18x10 +35; same dish, same poke / stance; just with a lot more clearance on the inside; so more lock.

I posted a few pics in the wheel section of how my setup sits.

Here's a vid I mashed together; finally took the 86 out for a drift with the new motor.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcjRcAZvWRE"]GTV86 - Let's go drifting - Extended version - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by Manji; 04-24-2016 at 12:52 AM.
Manji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manji For This Useful Post:
tato.valverde (04-26-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #1011
2014scionfrs

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Drift Nirvana Round 2 @ Summit Pt Raceway, WV

2014scionfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #1012
2014scionfrs

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
2014scionfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2014scionfrs For This Useful Post:
Ryaquinn (04-29-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 10:18 PM   #1013
BRZ RN

Drives: Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji View Post
I have PBM and run a 17 up front. Only need to run a 215 anyway. I don't have any understeer and wouldn't ever think to go with a larger front tyre than a 215. I'd actually be tempted to step down to a 205.

My wheel is 17x8.5 +16, front track increased about 15mm each side, 3.5 camber, stock body. Seemed to be the best overall compromise between looks, lock, required grip, streetable alignment, caliper clearance and desire to keep stock body.

With Todoroki fenders I'd probably still run the same wheel, and run ~20mm more track via LCA, and adjust camber to more positive setting at top hat to keep it around 3.5.
But I only use all the lock I have atm when I've basically cocked up and am scrubbing off speed or "saving" it; so don't see the need to run the fenders to chase more lock than I'm using now.

Remember that a 8 or 8.5" wide wheel can still look like a 9.5 or 10; if you get the offset right. My 17x8.5 +16 sits the same as say a 18x10 +35; same dish, same poke / stance; just with a lot more clearance on the inside; so more lock.

I posted a few pics in the wheel section of how my setup sits.

Here's a vid I mashed together; finally took the 86 out for a drift with the new motor.

are you using oem diff? welded? aftermarket? thanks
BRZ RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:00 AM   #1014
Manji
Toyotas don't have boxers

Drives: GTV86, ISF, TE27
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ RN View Post
are you using oem diff? welded? aftermarket? thanks
I use a 2way TRD mechanical

Its great.
Manji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Manji For This Useful Post:
2014scionfrs (04-30-2016), BRZ RN (04-28-2016), CarzCarzCarz (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 09:35 AM   #1015
BRZ RN

Drives: Blue BRZ
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji View Post
I use a 2way TRD mechanical

Its great.
awesome drifting by the way
BRZ RN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZ RN For This Useful Post:
Manji (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 06:36 PM   #1016
eherschend

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Really looking forward to get back into drifting. Anybody have any advice for someone coming from an s13? I had found a welded diff, sway bars, adjustable arms, and replacing all my old shitty bushings with either solid or new ones had really made the car extremely easy to drift. Any specific modifications on the brz? My first modifications will be coilovers + PBM angle kit.

Here is a pic of my old car:
eherschend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:14 AM   #1017
Ryaquinn

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherschend View Post
Really looking forward to get back into drifting. Anybody have any advice for someone coming from an s13? I had found a welded diff, sway bars, adjustable arms, and replacing all my old shitty bushings with either solid or new ones had really made the car extremely easy to drift. Any specific modifications on the brz? My first modifications will be coilovers + PBM angle kit.

Here is a pic of my old car:

Seat time will be your best bet with the 86. Coilovers, 2 way and tons of seat time to learn the electronic steering and chassis difference from a s13. Welcome to the platform!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2016, 09:55 AM   #1018
CarzCarzCarz

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Just installed camber plates, SPC cam bolts, and lower control arms this weekend, and now I need an alignment. What are some good base alignment numbers to start with for a daily driven car and drifting once a month? Still on stock suspension.

Before this install I have constantly worn the inside of the rear tires (stock alignment was -1.5* in rear) when drifting, never fully used all of the tread when drifting.
After the install, the car feels very darty and loose in the rear, and the traction control light comes on very easily now.
CarzCarzCarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:26 PM   #1019
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarzCarzCarz View Post
Just installed camber plates, SPC cam bolts, and lower control arms this weekend, and now I need an alignment. What are some good base alignment numbers to start with for a daily driven car and drifting once a month? Still on stock suspension.

Before this install I have constantly worn the inside of the rear tires (stock alignment was -1.5* in rear) when drifting, never fully used all of the tread when drifting.
After the install, the car feels very darty and loose in the rear, and the traction control light comes on very easily now.
I run -3* up front with 1/16 toe in -0.5 in the rear with as close to 0 toe as I could get. I daily drive my car on this setup. Aside from the -3* of camber up front, I think you can get around -2 with the SPC Camber bolts.

Had my first drift event of the season after all of the suspension work I had done, including my alignment specs up top and the corner balance.

My car feels like a totally different animal. Last year I was running the same coilovers without a corner balance, -2* of camber (about) up front and it was around -2* of camber in the rear without the LCA's. This year I did full poly bushings through the entire driveline; the megan rack ends, LCA's toe arms etc.

My first run of the day was easily my best run, it was honestly perfect and I did not have my go pro on for most of the day (between forgetting and it dying) so I wanted to kick myself. I was astonished when I got done with my first run, I manjied for the first time without even thinking about it (though not big or perfect). I attribute that to playing assetto corsa nearly all winter and working on my wheel/throttle control. My confidence level was higher than it should have been and I was honestly going balls out without a care.

I still have have a ways to go before Id say I was good, but im super happy from where I started last year to where I am today. The only real spinouts I had were pushing to hard/getting nervous during tandems. Other than that my only real issues were straightening up because I failed to clutch kick and tried to hold it through.

Couple videos:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPc1ZMguPIo"]LVD Drift 5/27/16 Run2 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjhTEhbszXw"]LVD Drift 5/27/16 run - YouTube[/ame]
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shady195 For This Useful Post:
CarzCarzCarz (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #1020
CarzCarzCarz

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Hey Shady, thanks for all the input and videos. I'll try those alignment specs out and see how it feels. Looks like a couple pretty good runs there. I like the open track setup y'all run lets you practice without worry of running off.

Last time I ran I forgot my camera at home, and it was honestly nice not having to mess with it and constantly turn it off/on. But then I didn't get any video to analyze after either, so that sucked.
CarzCarzCarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:55 AM   #1021
Shady195

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarzCarzCarz View Post
Hey Shady, thanks for all the input and videos. I'll try those alignment specs out and see how it feels. Looks like a couple pretty good runs there. I like the open track setup y'all run lets you practice without worry of running off.

Last time I ran I forgot my camera at home, and it was honestly nice not having to mess with it and constantly turn it off/on. But then I didn't get any video to analyze after either, so that sucked.
It's nice but I'm aching to get out to a few of the local tracks within a few hours of me. We have some cones to give us a "line" but its really hard to force yourself to practice a good line when you have an open layout and most here are against putting up tire walls or anything of the sort.

This setup also is really kind of crappy because you go from fresh pavement to really crappy cracked pavement thats falling apart and then back to good pavement. One run everything may be fine and the next the road may be falling apart a bit and you hit a patch of kicked up gravel/dirt and spin out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shady195 For This Useful Post:
CarzCarzCarz (06-02-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 09:58 AM   #1022
Shady195

And a photo of a really good run I had with a cone under my car nearly the entire time. Clipped the first turn a little to close and tapped the cone with my front bumper and it dragged under my car for a whole lap lol
Attached Images