follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-21-2015, 02:39 AM   #1
myusernameisrob

Drives: FR-Z
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OEM Recaro seats and Takata?

Anyone know if the OEM seats and seat belts are made by Recaro and Takata?

I was originally planning on swapping them out for some Recaro buckets but I've fallen in love with our seats.
myusernameisrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:12 AM   #2
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
obviously........not

Unless You live in Japan. They are option at dealer.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #3
gtslow

Drives: 2015 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myusernameisrob View Post
Anyone know if the OEM seats and seat belts are made by Recaro and Takata?

I was originally planning on swapping them out for some Recaro buckets but I've fallen in love with our seats.
Takata could very well have made the seatbelts as they make a bunch of standard safety items for manufacturers e.g. the huge airbag recall of Takata airbags.

I think the stock seats are fabulous. You could always go with the SARD seat covers to spruce them up a bit.
gtslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I made a list of who makes what a while back. The seats are made by Toyota Boshoku and the seat belts are made by Tokai Rika.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71898
bestwheelbase (05-21-2015), CAMBAM_6 (05-21-2015), funwheeldrive (12-04-2016), gtslow (05-21-2015), KalbiCool88 (12-05-2016), Moto-P (12-04-2016), NWFRS (05-21-2015), tato.valverde (12-06-2016), van_fc3s (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 12:29 PM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
I made a list of who makes what a while back. The seats are made by Toyota Boshoku and the seat belts are made by Tokai Rika.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71898
Thanks! I went looking for that list a while back but couldn't find it.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:49 PM   #6
myusernameisrob

Drives: FR-Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtslow View Post
Takata could very well have made the seatbelts as they make a bunch of standard safety items for manufacturers e.g. the huge airbag recall of Takata airbags.

I think the stock seats are fabulous. You could always go with the SARD seat covers to spruce them up a bit.
Is this Ero Gori? LOLOL.
myusernameisrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:37 PM   #7
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Quote:

If I remember correctly from their investor materials, Toyota is one of Takata's top customers. All of their cool racing stuff (like their fast and furious green 6 point harnesses) makes up a very small fraction of their total revenue. I'm not familiar with Recaro but I would imagine it's more or less the same situation for them too.

As @Bristecom pointed out, neither company is involved with this car. I remember hearing that the Takata Drift seat was designed for the FRS/BRZ, but That might have just been marketing sweet talk
Tcoat (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #8
gtslow

Drives: 2015 Halo FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by myusernameisrob View Post
Is this Ero Gori? LOLOL.
The one and only
gtslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:52 PM   #9
NWFRS

Drives: ‘13 FRS
Thanked 1,502 Times in 634 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yeah.

The stock seats are brilliant. Whoever designed them was a genius. At first I thought the upper bolsters were too aggressive, but I later realized it was just the super sticky upholstery. Reupholstered in leather, they are perfect. Best seat shape ever.
NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #10
Vincenttam
WtsTofu

Drives: Ultramarine fr-s
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWFRS View Post
Yeah.

The stock seats are brilliant. Whoever designed them was a genius. At first I thought the upper bolsters were too aggressive, but I later realized it was just the super sticky upholstery. Reupholstered in leather, they are perfect. Best seat shape ever.
I really enjoyed the oem seats that was in my previous rx-8
Vincenttam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:59 PM   #11
CAMBAM_6
CAMBAM

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Am I the only one who read this in a Gay voice lol
Attached Images

@Art_Mighty (05-24-2015), sato (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #12
Moto-P

Drives: Many types of cars in R&D.
Thanked 3,057 Times in 568 Posts
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
Yes and to add to this to see the scale of operations, the Toyota Boshoku is a parent/founding company of Toyota Automobile Corporation, predating the automobile division by 20 years as a cotton weaver, textile, fiber manufacturing equipment and supplies producer.
They make or tasks with partners, bulk of the fabrics and composites used in Toyota automobiles, as well as other cars, public transit and infrastructures, apparel, aerospace carbon composite weaving and baking, and advanced research for microfibers in scientific fields and manufacturing too.
Toyota Bosho supplies carbon fiber fuselage and wing sub-components, along with Subaru, and also seats on many airliners, trains, and bus, and public stadiums and theaters.

Recaro is actually a competing brand that does similar things in Germany, but some of the Racing "branding" has been tied in collaborative marketing projects to produce periodic special items to market the cars, such as the seats in the Toyota 86 GRMN Special Editions, as well as past optional equipment TRD packages. The 14R60 and few other projects have been TRD branded and supplied by BRIDE JAPAN as well.

Takata is a closely tied company that is part of Honda family of companies today, and also supplies nylon fiber components to a huge number of firms in the automotive supplier side products, bulk of that being interior fabrics, original OE seatbelts, SRS airbags, etc. They supply about half of all airbags in automobiles around the world today.

Toyota Boshoku (Textile Manufacturing) is the founding origin of Toyota, established long before the automotive division.
Today, this firm still operates as parent, founding company of Toyota, and produces fine automotive interiors, advanced composites, and a world of advanced materials for lots of different things from common household goods parts to aerospace industry components.
Another reason Toyota's car interiors are so nicely appointed on many models with top notch crafting and finish.
You can see this intersting history of Toyota at the following museum in Japan, if you are ever in Nagoya. It's a really nice place to see to learn about Toyota, and it's rich history in operation.

http://www.tcmit.org/english/

https://www.facebook.com/Moto.Club4A...89?pnref=story
Consulting Member at Cusco, OEM+, RS-R.
www.club4ag.com
Moto-P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
bcj (12-04-2016), Bristecom (12-04-2016), funwheeldrive (12-04-2016), humfrz (12-04-2016), KalbiCool88 (12-05-2016), tato.valverde (12-06-2016), Tcoat (12-04-2016), TRD-X (12-04-2016), yelsew (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 01:18 PM   #13
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-P View Post
Yes and to add to this to see the scale of operations, the Toyota Boshoku is a parent/founding company of Toyota Automobile Corporation, predating the automobile division by 20 years as a cotton weaver, textile, fiber manufacturing equipment and supplies producer.
They make or tasks with partners, bulk of the fabrics and composites used in Toyota automobiles, as well as other cars, public transit and infrastructures, apparel, aerospace carbon composite weaving and baking, and advanced research for microfibers in scientific fields and manufacturing too.
Toyota Bosho supplies carbon fiber fuselage and wing sub-components, along with Subaru, and also seats on many airliners, trains, and bus, and public stadiums and theaters.

Recaro is actually a competing brand that does similar things in Germany, but some of the Racing "branding" has been tied in collaborative marketing projects to produce periodic special items to market the cars, such as the seats in the Toyota 86 GRMN Special Editions, as well as past optional equipment TRD packages. The 14R60 and few other projects have been TRD branded and supplied by BRIDE JAPAN as well.

Takata is a closely tied company that is part of Honda family of companies today, and also supplies nylon fiber components to a huge number of firms in the automotive supplier side products, bulk of that being interior fabrics, original OE seatbelts, SRS airbags, etc. They supply about half of all airbags in automobiles around the world today.

Toyota Boshoku (Textile Manufacturing) is the founding origin of Toyota, established long before the automotive division.
Today, this firm still operates as parent, founding company of Toyota, and produces fine automotive interiors, advanced composites, and a world of advanced materials for lots of different things from common household goods parts to aerospace industry components.
Another reason Toyota's car interiors are so nicely appointed on many models with top notch crafting and finish.
You can see this intersting history of Toyota at the following museum in Japan, if you are ever in Nagoya. It's a really nice place to see to learn about Toyota, and it's rich history in operation.

http://www.tcmit.org/english/

https://www.facebook.com/Moto.Club4A...89?pnref=story
There is a large Toyota Boshoka plant right next door to where I work in Woodstock Ontario.
It is sad to listen to some of the workers whining about how they are "forced" to meet high quality standards and actually show up for work.

There are some interesting reviews on the plant but my vey favorite is this:
"production work, mostaly the same work no matter whereyou go
they require and eye for detaila and for you to show up to work, if you can do that then your ok"

http://ca.indeed.com/cmp/Toyota-Boshoku/reviews
Cole (12-04-2016), KalbiCool88 (12-05-2016), ToySub1946 (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #14
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
I see this is an old thread, but I'll add this...

All seat belts, regardless of manufacturer of the vehicle, should have a white tag attached, stating the manufacturer of that specific seat belt.

And yes, belts in my FRS are labeled Tokai Rika, as stated by Bristecom and Moto-P above.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote