follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
Sam Strano

Old 04-14-2015, 12:53 PM   #2871
YawMomentRacing

Drives: 2013 Red 6MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmons View Post
Good to hear. The good thing is these cars are easy to shift compared to others.

You are probably missing having that HP/TQ the Camaro had also

Simmons
Yes, torque is nice....
YouTube Channel
YawMomentRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:54 AM   #2872
ButteR

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just reading through all this..I'm new to the car and relative to most of you posting here, kinda new to autoX as well. I've participated in one pro solo and a handful of autoX events. The pro solo was actually my first time autoXing my FR-S and here's my 2 cents.

At the pro solo in El Toro, everyone was real cool and while we all wanted to beat eachother, you cold tell that there was mutual respect during the "inspect the other dude (or ladys) car line up" after the CS cars finished their runs.

Had this information about TRD springs and sway bars been Revealed 3 months ago and every FR-S had the springs and bars and every BRZ had the springs and bars, I have a feeling that none of the FR-S guys would have protested. They are more or less the exact same car, hence the twin name. If I'm going to beat a guy with the same car as me, I'd like to win knowing his car was on an even playing field and I get the vibe that I speak for more than just myself.

Autocross seems like a sport that is catered towards car enthusiasts that enjoy racing their Car in a safe way in a fun environment where the drivers are also the referees (run groups and work groups) unlike other forms of racing Iike formula one, where drivers are competing for a living.

So, if you own a FR-S, ask yourself - do you want your local CS class to get bigger n bigger each event? Or do you want to discourage BRZs (basically 33% of the cars in CS) from showing up in the CS class to compete?

I think this could easily be solved by a vote at the regional level which would then roll up to the national level. And I also think that most FR-S owners would have no problem at all allowing BRZ owners to have the same TRD port options.

Stock classses are great because it allows just enough variety in "fun performance mods" like wheels,tires,shocks and catback exhausts while still keeping driving skill as the primary variable for lap times.

tldr - let the BRZs have TRD springs and sway bars. The bigger the CS class, the more growth in CS class the better. By not allowing BRZs the same access to TRD port options as the FRS isnt going to do anything good for the class whatsoever, and I think that enough people will come to this same conclusion one way or another, so, if u have a BRZ, and you want to TRD your car up, do it. No one's going to care in CS class during the inspection line up. There may always be that "one guy" who wants to complain, but thats where the duct tape and tip ties come in.
ButteR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ButteR For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #2873
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButteR View Post
Just reading through all this..I'm new to the car and relative to most of you posting here, kinda new to autoX as well. I've participated in one pro solo and a handful of autoX events. The pro solo was actually my first time autoXing my FR-S and here's my 2 cents.

At the pro solo in El Toro, everyone was real cool and while we all wanted to beat eachother, you cold tell that there was mutual respect during the "inspect the other dude (or ladys) car line up" after the CS cars finished their runs.

Had this information about TRD springs and sway bars been Revealed 3 months ago and every FR-S had the springs and bars and every BRZ had the springs and bars, I have a feeling that none of the FR-S guys would have protested. They are more or less the exact same car, hence the twin name. If I'm going to beat a guy with the same car as me, I'd like to win knowing his car was on an even playing field and I get the vibe that I speak for more than just myself.

Autocross seems like a sport that is catered towards car enthusiasts that enjoy racing their Car in a safe way in a fun environment where the drivers are also the referees (run groups and work groups) unlike other forms of racing Iike formula one, where drivers are competing for a living.

So, if you own a FR-S, ask yourself - do you want your local CS class to get bigger n bigger each event? Or do you want to discourage BRZs (basically 33% of the cars in CS) from showing up in the CS class to compete?

I think this could easily be solved by a vote at the regional level which would then roll up to the national level. And I also think that most FR-S owners would have no problem at all allowing BRZ owners to have the same TRD port options.

Stock classses are great because it allows just enough variety in "fun performance mods" like wheels,tires,shocks and catback exhausts while still keeping driving skill as the primary variable for lap times.

tldr - let the BRZs have TRD springs and sway bars. The bigger the CS class, the more growth in CS class the better. By not allowing BRZs the same access to TRD port options as the FRS isnt going to do anything good for the class whatsoever, and I think that enough people will come to this same conclusion one way or another, so, if u have a BRZ, and you want to TRD your car up, do it. No one's going to care in CS class during the inspection line up. There may always be that "one guy" who wants to complain, but thats where the duct tape and tip ties come in.
I'd be perfectly fine with this.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #2874
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The rules right now say the FRS can have springs and the BRZ can't. There isn't any wiggle room on this.

If you want to change the rules, write a letter.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
TrqlessWonder (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 10:15 AM   #2875
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Anyone have any advice on removing cones marks/scuffs on this car?

I have never owned a car where I struggled to get them off as much as with this car. Doesn't help that my FRS is black.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:18 AM   #2876
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post

I have never owned a car where I struggled to get them off as much as with this car. Doesn't help that my FRS is black.
I've been a little lazy this year, but I use "Goof-off" or 3M Adhesive remover. I'll need a buffer for the side parts of my front bumper though.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggins For This Useful Post:
DylanFRS (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 10:45 AM   #2877
MTCRX

Drives: Whiteout FRS- autocross ready
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
I've been a little lazy this year, but I use "Goof-off" or 3M Adhesive remover. I'll need a buffer for the side parts of my front bumper though.
also something like Tech Wax, a scratch removing wax works great. Think of the marks as battle scars.
MTCRX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MTCRX For This Useful Post:
DylanFRS (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #2878
MTCRX

Drives: Whiteout FRS- autocross ready
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
The rules right now say the FRS can have springs and the BRZ can't. There isn't any wiggle room on this.

If you want to change the rules, write a letter.
It works the other way too. The FRS cant add a front splitter/lip (not quite the same performance adder, but a good cone protector). I imagine eventually these cars will all be blended into one.
MTCRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:59 AM   #2879
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:

The "twins" label isn't 100% correct. The BRZ has stiffer spring rates in the front. For some CStreet people, the springs were the main reason for choosing the BRZ over the FRS.

Not saying at all it is the same as the TRD springs, but still many people made their car choice based off of a perceived performance advantage.

With the TRD parts being available and for the cheaper of the 2 variants, I very much doubt we will see much of a drop off in CS numbers over a course of a couple of years. Maybe we will see more FR-Ss vs BRZs, though...
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #2880
RMP

Drives: 1992 Isuzu PuP, 2014 FR-S
Quote:

Bro, you need a bottle of this: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-09224-Racing-Rubber-Remover/dp/B005R5WGCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429110895&sr=8-1&keywords=r3+rubber+remover"]R3 OPR remover[/ame]
RMP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RMP For This Useful Post:
DylanFRS (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #2881
Wahoo5

Drives: '13 FR-S, '06 F430
Quote:

Once you get the marks off, wax your car with Rejex and they will come off easily when you wash the car.
Wahoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wahoo5 For This Useful Post:
DylanFRS (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 01:09 PM   #2882
markw

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:

At the pro solo in El Toro, everyone was real cool and while we all wanted to beat each other, you cold tell that there was mutual respect during the "inspect the other dude (or ladys) car line up" after the CS cars finished their runs.

The problem is not with the FRS vs BRZ, it's with the can of worms that allowing parts from different makes would open up. You would see guys custom building cars based on best of breed options. It would make "street/stock" class a place where you would have to buy car A because it was the lighter of the two, then get the transmission from car B, because hey, it was available on that platform, etc. It would be UN-policeable..

On the local level, I don't care if a BRZ is on TRD springs, and I doubt anyone else in the class would care if a BRZ was on the TRD bits, and while it would be protest-able, I personally wouldn't protest. But the guys with the RX8 or the MX5's in class may, if you beat them.

If you have a BRZ and do the TRD springs/bars, it will probably be fine on a local level, but at the national level, you need to show up with a car that meets the letter of the rules.

Have you run at San Diego yet? Are you going to be at the practice this weekend? I know of 1 car on the TRD parts in SD, we'll see how it does this weekend.
markw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:28 PM   #2883
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
It's not going to happen, they aren't going to treat the cars as the same. What will happen is one of the following or something else.

A) Springs/sways remain legal for the FR-S, it proves to not really matter at the top of CS and both cars stay in CS.

B) Springs/sways remain legal for the FR-S, they throw the BRZ a bone and move it into ES.

C) Springs/sways remain legal for the FR-S and just the FR-S gets moved to BS.

D) SAC/SEB decide springs/sways as line item options are a bad precedent and make them illegal, cars remain in CS.

I would guess at this point A) is the way most people are leaning since they don't feel even with the springs/sways the car is competitive with the RX-8 or MX-5 on a nationals style course.

I wrote a letter proposing D) and I've heard it from other people, but it wouldn't just affect the FR-S and probably faces an uphill battle.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:44 PM   #2884
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
B) Springs/sways remain legal for the FR-S, they throw the BRZ a bone and move it into ES.

C) Springs/sways remain legal for the FR-S and just the FR-S gets moved to BS.

with the 2015 pax both of these would be really bad choices.

a BRZ move into DS is most sane (0.814cs vs 0.812ds) pax, "family philosophy" be damned.

A move to the currently paxed (0.808) ES would probably make the BRZ a better choice for smaller events where a pax totem pole makes more sense.

the RS1.0 has no business being in BS, and shoving the FRS along with it will just kill the car entirely.

Last edited by 7thgear; 04-15-2015 at 03:25 PM.
7thgear is offline   Reply With Quote