follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #2367
boucher
Leaux Down Krewe

Drives: 2014 SSM Limited
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Double post..

Follow me on IG: @rougarou86

Last edited by boucher; 12-22-2012 at 08:18 AM.
boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #2368
boucher
Leaux Down Krewe

Drives: 2014 SSM Limited
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Add me to the list:

boucher, FRS, 5984 miles, vin# 7088xx, Lake Charles, La. In the shop.

Follow me on IG: @rougarou86
boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boucher For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (12-27-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #2369
FT86Dubai

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Today, 15 days since giving in the car I received a call to pick it up. It was washed up and the After Sales Manger was kind enough to explain that it was probably an electrical issue inside the ECU causing it to have low voltage and when diagnosed it would shoot up random codes making it difficult to pin point the exact problem therefore, it needed to be replaced. I think it makes sense, He even showed me the old one.

Drove the car very hard, did some donuts and I say the car looks fixed.
eurospeed (12-27-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #2370
skillcraft

Drives: Raven
Me too

FRS, 2700 miles, vin# 7074xx, SF,CA, ECU ordered.
skillcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skillcraft For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (12-27-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #2371
traybelles

Drives: GT86
ECU

To my experience I definately think the modified replacement of the ECU works
traybelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #2372
pituala
Mr. Know It All

Drives: 2013 FR-S Asphalt
They just finally did my cricket fuel pump recall/warranty. It was backordered for over a month. The short drive from the dealership to my work had no crickets, but usually it happens when the car is thoroughly warmed up and driven over 5 miles, so I'll check again on my way home.

Also I received a mailer saying to bring my car in for the 5000 mile oil change, when I asked the dealer (the dealer close to my work, not the dealer where I bought the car) if I can use them to get it done instead, he said I can, but that the oil change is at 7500 miles. I said that my mailer says 5000 miles. So I'm gonna call the dealer where I bought the car and see what they say.

pituala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #2373
Jar

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurospeed View Post
64. Jar, FR-S. 2400 mi, 1 week - repaired, AZ
My first CEL/SL issue was at 2400 miles and I had a slew of work done, including replacement gears and ECU.

I just got my second CEL/SL last night (merry xmas to me!) at 6200 miles after a day of rough idling and driving.

Just got done dropping it off, will be pursuing arbitration at this point. I am at 23 days clocked in the shop for a multitude of other issues (including discovering last month that I had 0 coolant in the reservoir since after what had to have been the first cam gear replacement, so it had been running that way for a while).

I think that a 7 day turn around on the replacement parts is pretty optimistic, so I am pretty sure I can meet the 30 day guideline easily.
Jar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jar For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (12-27-2012)
Old 12-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #2374
whtchocla7e

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar View Post
(including discovering last month that I had 0 coolant in the reservoir since after what had to have been the first cam gear replacement, so it had been running that way for a while).
0 coolant in the reservoir when the engine is warmed up?

Otherwise, it shouldn't be an issue. You'll see it back in the tank at some point.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #2375
HiiiPwrFRS

Drives: Toyota FRS
Looks like I am an addition to the list, even tho my situation is not quite the same as most.

I purchased my manual FRS locally (Northern Los Angeles Area) about 3 1/2 weeks ago. After a week of owning the car and daily driving, I was sitting in my driveway letting the engine warm up. I noticed my idle RPM was at 1200, after about two minutes, it roughly dropped, as in it went down, up and down, and so forth, until it got to 650 RPM, it sits there and I start hearing the infamous "crickets".

This made me very sad, even tho Im not getting any warning lights on my dash I made an appointment and took it in to the dealership about a week later. They had my car for about the whole day, and after inspection, they said the lead mechanic there was gonna speak to me to clear up my concerns. He said he had driven the car around for a little, and noticed nothing wrong with how my engine was running. He says at start up the engine will sit at a higher RPM to warm up the engine quicker, once the ECU realizes the car has been at an idle for a bit of time, it will shut off some of the direct injectors, which drops the RPM to 650. He says this is the correct idle RPM for this vehicle. I asked about the cricket noise and he told me that my car came with the update with the ECU to fix the issue this thread is dealing with, and that the noise im hearing is "pressure being released from the direct injection system and that is completely normal".

I felt very uneasy about his response but I decided to take trust in his information. Its been another two weeks, and Ive noticed that sometimes at start, It will idle at 1600 RPM, slooooowwllyyyyy drop to 1200, and then slowly, and roughly drop all the way back to 650 and the crickets start once again and last as long as the vehicle is on. Also while sitting in my drive way, or just on the street at a red light in neutral, I feel the vehicle shake very slightly, which coincides with a slight quick dip in my RPMs. The engine also just sounds very unhealthy at that low RPM, maybe its just my situation but it sounds like its chugging along to stay alive, its not smooth or attractive sounding at all, it sounds great at 1200 when I first start it, but after two minutes of the car being on and until I get to my destination, my car doesnt sound very good, with the exception of me being at speed. Also when cruising to a stop in 2nd gear, it starts to jerk once its below 3k RPM.

Im wondering if anyone can tell me any more information about my situation and how I should handle it especially since I havent had one light go off on my dash. How should I deal with the dealership since the lead mechanic strongly insisted nothing is wrong withy my vehicle as well? I really want answers and they're just kinda telling me everything is ok.

Sorry for the long post but id appreciate any information or advice, I love my car and how fun it is, but im kinda embarrassed at stop lights, or anytime im in neutral, sounds like im riding a a 20 year old lawn mower.
HiiiPwrFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:07 AM   #2376
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Having just bought an FRS, this list scares me =/

I know its only a small fraction of all owners though but still..
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #2377
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiiiPwrFRS View Post
Looks like I am an addition to the list, even tho my situation is not quite the same as most.

I purchased my manual FRS locally (Northern Los Angeles Area) about 3 1/2 weeks ago. After a week of owning the car and daily driving, I was sitting in my driveway letting the engine warm up. I noticed my idle RPM was at 1200, after about two minutes, it roughly dropped, as in it went down, up and down, and so forth, until it got to 650 RPM, it sits there and I start hearing the infamous "crickets".

This made me very sad, even tho Im not getting any warning lights on my dash I made an appointment and took it in to the dealership about a week later. They had my car for about the whole day, and after inspection, they said the lead mechanic there was gonna speak to me to clear up my concerns. He said he had driven the car around for a little, and noticed nothing wrong with how my engine was running. He says at start up the engine will sit at a higher RPM to warm up the engine quicker, once the ECU realizes the car has been at an idle for a bit of time, it will shut off some of the direct injectors, which drops the RPM to 650. He says this is the correct idle RPM for this vehicle. I asked about the cricket noise and he told me that my car came with the update with the ECU to fix the issue this thread is dealing with, and that the noise im hearing is "pressure being released from the direct injection system and that is completely normal".

I felt very uneasy about his response but I decided to take trust in his information. Its been another two weeks, and Ive noticed that sometimes at start, It will idle at 1600 RPM, slooooowwllyyyyy drop to 1200, and then slowly, and roughly drop all the way back to 650 and the crickets start once again and last as long as the vehicle is on. Also while sitting in my drive way, or just on the street at a red light in neutral, I feel the vehicle shake very slightly, which coincides with a slight quick dip in my RPMs. The engine also just sounds very unhealthy at that low RPM, maybe its just my situation but it sounds like its chugging along to stay alive, its not smooth or attractive sounding at all, it sounds great at 1200 when I first start it, but after two minutes of the car being on and until I get to my destination, my car doesnt sound very good, with the exception of me being at speed. Also when cruising to a stop in 2nd gear, it starts to jerk once its below 3k RPM.

Im wondering if anyone can tell me any more information about my situation and how I should handle it especially since I havent had one light go off on my dash. How should I deal with the dealership since the lead mechanic strongly insisted nothing is wrong withy my vehicle as well? I really want answers and they're just kinda telling me everything is ok.

Sorry for the long post but id appreciate any information or advice, I love my car and how fun it is, but im kinda embarrassed at stop lights, or anytime im in neutral, sounds like im riding a a 20 year old lawn mower.
Wait for the CEL to pop up...then they can't deny that there is an issue, and they can follow the repair protocol for the CEL/erratic idle.

By the way, the ECU update doesn't alleviate the crickets in any way, that is another issue related to the HPFP. Even the "new" part to fix the crickets isn't truly getting rid of them. Try ethanol-free gas if you can.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #2378
acro

Drives: GT-86
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I got the odd vibrations at low RPM was hoping it wouldnt pop up. Then this am it did . CEL @ 1200km. but it dissapeared by the time i reached the dealer. They pulled the code said it had something to do with the crank position sensor
acro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #2379
Jar

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Car was corrected today via ECU flash, even though I didn't think they could flash them past 100 miles? I don't even know any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtchocla7e View Post
0 coolant in the reservoir when the engine is warmed up?

Otherwise, it shouldn't be an issue. You'll see it back in the tank at some point.
Cold. It was drained at some point and never filled.
Jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #2380
FT86Dubai

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiiiPwrFRS View Post

Somehow I feel that you're confusing chripping noise with the normal ticks caused by Direct Injection. As for the rough idle, I have that too and seems that many owners do.