follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-09-2017, 09:32 PM   #1
reynierpm

Drives: Toyota 86 2017 Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If I change the stock receiver, can I use 3-Way speakers?

I am about to change the stock receiver for my Toyota 86 2017 for this one Sony XAV-AX100. I want to upgrade also the speakers on the front door to this one: Pioneer TS-A1376R (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TA1...l?tp=105&avf=Y).

When you add the speaker to your car there is a note saying: "The factory woofer in this location only receives bass frequencies from its amplifier. Replacement speakers will only reproduce bass" which makes me ask,

even changing the stock receiver I can't get 3 ways speaker working on the front door?
reynierpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:20 PM   #2
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If you just "plug n play" using the common wire harness/adapter, then the sound from your new radio will not go to the door speakers until AFTER it has been sent to the small amp in the trunk that sends out ONLY bass.

You could run new speaker wires from the new head unit to the new door speakers, or bypass the stock amp. (Their could be impedance issues if you just bypass the amp, since the dash speakers are also in the mix...never measured so I'm not sure)
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:21 PM   #3
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Sounds about right. I think the stock sub amp is in the trunk behind the passenger seat.

##Edit: Yeah, what Twinz said.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:50 AM   #4
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
If you just "plug n play" using the common wire harness/adapter, then the sound from your new radio will not go to the door speakers until AFTER it has been sent to the small amp in the trunk that sends out ONLY bass.

You could run new speaker wires from the new head unit to the new door speakers, or bypass the stock amp. (Their could be impedance issues if you just bypass the amp, since the dash speakers are also in the mix...never measured so I'm not sure)
just bypassing the stock amp is a bad idea. you can pretty easily replace it with a full range amp, which there is a thread on, but if you bypass it you will certainly cause an impedance issue.

edit:
those are 5 1/4 speakers. the door hole fits a 6.5 easily. you would want to select something from the 6.5 category.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:54 AM   #5
reynierpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
just bypassing the stock amp is a bad idea. you can pretty easily replace it with a full range amp, which there is a thread on, but if you bypass it you will certainly cause an impedance issue.

edit:
those are 5 1/4 speakers. the door hole fits a 6.5 easily. you would want to select something from the 6.5 category.
I am planning to replace the whole thing meaning amplifier, front door speakers and dash corner speakers but at Crutchfield they don't have anything that fits the car, could you point to the thread you mention here?
Old 05-11-2017, 10:19 AM   #6
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynierpm View Post
I am planning to replace the whole thing meaning amplifier, front door speakers and dash corner speakers but at Crutchfield they don't have anything that fits the car, could you point to the thread you mention here?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42239

I personally have a ktp 445u hooked up to spr-60c. it required running a wire from to door to the dash for the tweeters, but I like it. if you had a crossover block, which most 3 ways do, this wouldn't be necessary.

OEM amp harness to aftermarket 15A max amp >> amp to crossover blocks >> crossover block woofer output to oem amp output (this goes to the doors) >> crossover block mid and tweeter outputs run along the floor of the car and up the dash to the dash locations.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:30 AM   #7
reynierpm

Ok guys, I've spoken with Crutchfield and they told me they doesn't have anything that fits in my car. Any speakers and amps recommendation? The car stereo is installed now but is to much power for the stock speakers and amp and I don't like how it sounds, I am pretty sure it could sound better.

So you tell me what do you recommend

BTW, thanks in advance