follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #29
Darnold

Drives: 04' 400whp S2000, 01' DD S2000
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster View Post
Yeah, that's about right, pricewise. There's a 2013 CBS limited in Wakefield MA w/ 41K miles for $18.5K on craigslist. If you don't mind some mileage, there are some decent deals out there.

I'm shopping both the Ecoboost Mustang premium and BRZ limited. When the 2015's BRZ hit the lots late Sept or Oct, I'll see what pricing is and go from there. Leaning towards a new BRZ, maybe a used one. I like some of the new items on the 2015's (faux carbon dash instead of silver, new key fob, sharkfin antenna, nicer exhaust tips).

Manchester Subaru usually has some decent pricing, and a few forum member from MA have bought from up there.

Not much left down here for choice of colors on the 2014's unless you want silver or silver
I actually autocross with Gary from Manchester Subaru so he knows I am looking. Unfortunately I hate the silver :*( Looking at WRB > Dark Gray > White as far as options go. Ohh well we will see what comes. I was looking at a '14 5.0 mustang GT... right up until i researched the car some more
The Following User Says Thank You to Darnold For This Useful Post:
Marchy (08-27-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #30
bkstarx1

Drives: 14 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMunchies? View Post
In the end, coming from an S2k, you'll likely be underwhelmed (maybe even frustrated) by the engine but the trade off is a car more usable every day that can still go to the track whenever you want. And remember, you can fit four wheels and a jack in the car with the rear seat down - very useful
I had a 07 S2000 as my DD for 3 years and recently got into a 14 BRZ (WRB>SSM). The engine was definitely underwhelming, and I do still feel frustrated from time to time but the trade off is worth it for me. It is a lot more comfortable as a DD and although the consensus seems to be that the navigation and heated seats suck, it's still nice to have

I do have the chirping problem so I will have to take it in to the dealer but having warranty gives me peace of mind.
bkstarx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:09 PM   #31
pantdino

Drives: Firestorm 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_318is View Post
If you can find a used one I say let someone else take the initial depreciation hit. I picked mine up with 2k miles, saved 5k and ended up with a practically new car with a full warranty. Win win.
This is the smart way to buy a car. Period.
pantdino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pantdino For This Useful Post:
nick_318is (08-28-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #32
Darnold

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkstarx1 View Post
I had a 07 S2000 as my DD for 3 years and recently got into a 14 BRZ (WRB>SSM). The engine was definitely underwhelming, and I do still feel frustrated from time to time but the trade off is worth it for me. It is a lot more comfortable as a DD and although the consensus seems to be that the navigation and heated seats suck, it's still nice to have

I do have the chirping problem so I will have to take it in to the dealer but having warranty gives me peace of mind.
At least those amenities are THERE! LOL honestly I don't plan on the car being NA for the better course of a year so it's going to be a bit of a challenge with restraint on my part.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #33
_______

Drives: SWP Subaru BRZ
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've logged a good amount of miles in the S2000 and it's by far the more exciting car and superior in performance. But a twin definitely is the more versatile car in that it mixes in everyday practicality (sans rear seat comfort) and fun into one package. And thats something that it beats over the S2000. I love the S2000, I almost bought one but I could definitely not live with it as a daily. Its a superior car over the twin in performance and fun but when you can have fun and have the comfort that the twin offers it the way to go if thats what your looking for. If you have another car that can handle the everyday aspects and that you are satisfied with it i'd say don't trade the S2000.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #34
kerbal945

Drives: 05 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantdino View Post
do you buy new cars at MSRP? and do you trust someone else break in your car for you?
kerbal945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:50 AM   #35
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnold View Post
I'd disagree with the cost aspect but I have a J's racing/ASM themed S2K project car right now. Also I'm glad someone else feels my pain of the s2k as an extremely boring daily driver with 0 luxuries. It's an amazing weekend warrior however lacks in the commuter car.

Overall you do not see any issues with snagging a 2013 over a new 2015/2014?

I've negotiated 25.6k on a new '14 BRZ limited however can get a '13 with <10k for 23K asking so I'll go ahead and assume <22K

Winter is coming after all

Every year has seen improvements (if only minor). All of the improved parts are bolt on to the old cars though. I haven't seen used BRZ's going for that cheap around here at all, the FRS is depreciating faster though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokinbird87 View Post
i never owned an S2000 but I would advise you to not to buy the BRZ for it's "features". Navigation sucks, heated seats sucks, it`s loud, etc... If I`m honest, the S2000 is a better driving experience. If I were you, I would keep the S2000 to do your fun stuff with, and get an another nice comfy car. I can only afford one car that is kind of a middle ground of everything, but if I already had an S2000, it`s a no brainer for me.

Nav is nice to have so you don't drain your phone battery or if the screen is too bright, or you don't have a mount, etc. Heated seats I can't really comment on as I haven't had mine into the winter yet, but my gf did turn mine on to mess with me and it got very warm (I had to watch Top Gear with her...). I wouldn't call the car loud at all unless you're used to a new Camry or something as it's much quieter than a convertible...

Quote:
Mokinbird, the problem is one S2K is built beyond my personal driving ability. As well the AP1 has 130k miles on it at this point and is reaching it's endings, anything I do replace the AP1 with will need to be a RWD sports car as well and I'd honestly prefer a new car. That leaves me with only a few options and all of the alternatives besides the BRZ are blagh.

Genesis feels sloppy in comparison
Mustang GT is all power no finesse
Miata is less power + better handling but I'd like to avoid another soft top. And this puts me in the same dilemma I'm in now

The navigation doesn't bother me 100% as much because I know with cars like this selling the navigation to FRS owners who didn't pick one up won't be all that bad (so I'd imagine).

I'm one of those twisted individuals that took a RWD sports car out in the middle of New Hampshire's worst snow storms... And loved it

Definitely don't agree on the Miata being the better handling car. Stock for stock the Miata rolls through corners and needs a ton of work to get to the level the twins are out of the box in handling and ride quality. Tires would be the only place the Miata might win stock for stock, but all bets are off once you put good tires on the twins (plus the ability to fit some serious rubber under these cars)

Quote:
I HATE HATE HATE the wrx/sti platform... (I know I'm weird). Also I've driven a evo X and it simply has too much road presence to be considered a driver's car, albeit an unbelievable performer.

Even the new one? Heard a lot of good things, but ultimately chose the BRZ because of the superior gas mileage and it's much sexier looking. I wouldn't touch a Mitsu as their dealer network, parts, and service are terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantdino View Post

Not when it comes to performance cars, especially inexpensive ones. Could have been beat on by some kid since day one. Unless you're the original owner, you'll never know how the car was treated and maintained before you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______ View Post
I've logged a good amount of miles in the S2000 and it's by far the more exciting car and superior in performance. But a twin definitely is the more versatile car in that it mixes in everyday practicality (sans rear seat comfort) and fun into one package. And thats something that it beats over the S2000. I love the S2000, I almost bought one but I could definitely not live with it as a daily. Its a superior car over the twin in performance and fun but when you can have fun and have the comfort that the twin offers it the way to go if thats what your looking for. If you have another car that can handle the everyday aspects and that you are satisfied with it i'd say don't trade the S2000.

There's some good threads comparing the twins to the S2000. Namely this one: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18696

The aero on the BRZ is superior to the S2000, but the S2000 has the better engine (nothing a little boost won't fix)
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #36
Darnold

Garage
@Poodles The miata is a different sort of creature. The S2K, twins, miata all have their expertise... From what I've seen of how the twins perform the BRZ would handle superior at high speeds however there really are not many cars that will outperform a miata in a tight tactical course. They simply chew me up every time I go to the local autocross... even swapped cars and I was doing better laps in the miata.

Either way, my '01 AP1 will be gone September 13th. Buyer sent deposit and all looks like that will go through and looking at the asking price from dealers in the area I will most likely be buying used for a few factors:
1. '14 left overs are slim picking and not available in the colors I want
2. '15s the dealer wants 1500 more than what I can get a '14 for and I'm not willing to spend the money
3. The '13s have depreciated more than I had expected (20-21k for low mileage ones)

This will free up some funds to finish the aero work on my other s2k and make me feel less guilty when I start modifying the BRZ
Old 08-27-2014, 04:41 PM   #37
CarzCarzCarz

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I actually autocross with Gary from Manchester Subaru so he knows I am looking. Unfortunately I hate the silver :*( Looking at WRB > Dark Gray > White as far as options go. Ohh well we will see what comes. I was looking at a '14 5.0 mustang GT... right up until i researched the car some more
Sounds like you are joining the 86 club soon, so congrats. I think you are going the right way for a DD. But I am curious as to what you thought about the mustang, and what you uncovered that dissuaded you from it?
CarzCarzCarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #38
Aozora.BRZ

Drives: '15 WRB Series.Blue
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster View Post
I'm shopping both the Ecoboost Mustang premium and BRZ limited. When the 2015's BRZ hit the lots late Sept or Oct, I'll see what pricing is and go from there. Leaning towards a new BRZ, maybe a used one. I like some of the new items on the 2015's (faux carbon dash instead of silver, new key fob, sharkfin antenna, nicer exhaust tips).
Why is it that late for the 2015's to arrive at MA? I saw a 2015 at a dealer last week here in PA.
Aozora.BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #39
Darnold

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarzCarzCarz View Post
Sounds like you are joining the 86 club soon, so congrats. I think you are going the right way for a DD. But I am curious as to what you thought about the mustang, and what you uncovered that dissuaded you from it?
The mustang was a bit of an odd ball. I was dead convinced I wanted the car from reading online however after talking to several driving instructors and test driving one I wasn't convinced.

It's a fast car and would probably make me happy as a daily driver but to get the real mustang that I want (track pack or boss) it was going to be over 30k and not in my actual budget for a new daily driver.

The car felt BIG and heavy. I like small streamline sports cars, the power was overwhelming and the gearbox wasn't refined like my s2000. Comparing the two I knew the mustang would probably run a faster laptime but it wasn't because of the driver it was because of the motor and that really isn't something I want in a car :/. Overall driving experience was a bit better than the genesis v6 r-spec.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #40
Darnold

Garage
Should be mentioned the only other mustang I've driven was a 03 Terminator making just over 700whp... So i may be a bit ignorant about the heritage or the car itself. Just wasn't for me
Old 08-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #41
GotMunchies?

Drives: '14 WRB BRZ 6MT Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
The mustang was a bit of an odd ball. I was dead convinced I wanted the car from reading online however after talking to several driving instructors and test driving one I wasn't convinced.

It's a fast car and would probably make me happy as a daily driver but to get the real mustang that I want (track pack or boss) it was going to be over 30k and not in my actual budget for a new daily driver.

The car felt BIG and heavy. I like small streamline sports cars, the power was overwhelming and the gearbox wasn't refined like my s2000. Comparing the two I knew the mustang would probably run a faster laptime but it wasn't because of the driver it was because of the motor and that really isn't something I want in a car :/. Overall driving experience was a bit better than the genesis v6 r-spec.
I came from an S197 Mustang GT that I'd done some work to and that was my pretty much my impression. While the car itself and its modifications made it objectively fast and fairly predictable on the track, there wasn't much of the sensation of driving. And at that point, it wasn't very usable as a daily driver. The motor (even the 4.6) was great - really linear, made a great sound, willing to rev, tough as hell, and easy to work on. But you'd spend a lap guiding a car that felt heavy, and big, and had poor seats and visibility that did little to tell you what was going on.

I like the 86's because they're so much more about the sensation of driving and involving the driver than objective speed. I know I'll never be the fastest racer around a track, but I will have the biggest smile. I don't care about numbers, I just care about enjoying myself. The 86 delivers fun everywhere and doesn't compromise much on the drive home.
GotMunchies? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GotMunchies? For This Useful Post:
akahenry (08-30-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #42
GreenMonster
Just doing research

Drives: 03 Acura CLS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aozora.BRZ View Post
Why is it that late for the 2015's to arrive at MA? I saw a 2015 at a dealer last week here in PA.
New England has been serviced since like 1971 by SNE (subaru of new england) which is different than SOA (subaru of america).

I guess the knuckleheads at SNE or the big wings back in Japan think it's a good idea to release a RWD drive car as close to winter time in a snowy region as they can

No 2015's at all yet here in NE, even tho' the series.blue have been available every where else for almost a month.
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote