follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-12-2019, 05:21 PM   #1
Jay Laifman

Drives: Toyota 86 Special Edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Warning: Dealer damaged rockers

Our car was recently serviced by a dealer (see other thread finally getting transmission fixed).

During the process, they bent the rockers. They are owning up to it and having them fixed - though I'm pissed a brand new car needs to have body work done - and I have no idea how closely that orange with gold metallic will match.

But, I wanted to warn folks. It appears that the 86 rockers will hit the car lift arms. I don't know if they are using the wrong lift for our cars. Or they need to be more careful on how to line it up. But the arm lift hit the underside of the rockers in 3 of the 4 spots that the arms go under the rockers. I even saw with my own eyes how really close the arms are.

Anyone else have an answer to this? What do we need to make sure the dealer does about using the right lift or using their lifts correctly?
Jay Laifman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:26 PM   #2
Jay Laifman

Here are pictures of one damages spot.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2019, 05:37 PM   #3
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Laifman View Post
Our car was recently serviced by a dealer (see other thread finally getting transmission fixed).

During the process, they bent the rockers. They are owning up to it and having them fixed - though I'm pissed a brand new car needs to have body work done - and I have no idea how closely that orange with gold metallic will match.

But, I wanted to warn folks. It appears that the 86 rockers will hit the car lift arms. I don't know if they are using the wrong lift for our cars. Or they need to be more careful on how to line it up. But the arm lift hit the underside of the rockers in 3 of the 4 spots that the arms go under the rockers. I even saw with my own eyes how really close the arms are.

Anyone else have an answer to this? What do we need to make sure the dealer does about using the right lift or using their lifts correctly?

what dealer was this?
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:48 PM   #4
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
STI side skirts should cover that up!

With it being in the rock guard area you will probably not be able to notice.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #5
Jay Laifman

I'd rather not call out this dealer in particular.

The problem is that the photo doesn't show that the side of the rockers bow out now where they were pushed up. It's obvious when looking at the car in person.

I am thinking of having them try to "just" press the bow back in, and touch up the dent itself.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:54 PM   #6
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Strange, the 86 isn't very low, and those rocker panels are much higher than the body lip with the jacking points.

I lift mine with an ordinary two post and everything clears by a wide margin, you'd probably have to attack it with a 12k or 14k pound truck lift to have the arms hit that high.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:03 PM   #7
Jay Laifman

This picture is just what I pulled of the internet to show. See how the arm is adjustable and it gets larger - where I circled it. That's the spot that would hit the rocker.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2019, 06:14 PM   #8
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I can see it on a two stage arm. My BRZ is only lowered 1" and I can't get our brand new Rotary 10k with 3 stage arms under it. Just the wrong type of feet.

The damage is just carelessness. The car was racked incorrectly. Shops don't use "Toyota" or "Ford" lifts, they all come from a handful of equipment manufacturers. The vast majority are Rotary.

Edit: Manufacturers may have lifts painted in special colors or with special stickers, but they're all from the same people. Some cars require a specific lift with special feet or attachments, think Mercedes SLR or any other hyper car. Our cars just use a regular lift.

The first style lifts were popular years ago, and are still widely in use. The problem is, if the car is too low for the first foot to flip up you have to lift it with the feet layed flat. That gets the arms close to the rocker. Still popular with trucks and SUVs that easily fit the first or second position foot raised.

The second style is more modern. The feet are threaded, allowing a perfect adjustment to keep the arms clear of the body. There are multiple feet with the treads, and posts to raise them inches at a time. The round rubber feet are best for low clearance cars. Our lifts have the metal and rubber feet with raised ends, I can't get them under my car even threaded all the way down.
Attached Images

Last edited by maslin; 02-12-2019 at 06:34 PM.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:25 AM   #9
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I've gone to several shops over the last 4 years that couldn't work on my car because they didn't have a lift they could put it on.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #10
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
My wife's brand new Impreza had the one side skirt absolutely totaled by a misplaced arm at the dealer. They broke off half the clips including the mounting points and put a big crack in it. I have had a few other cars damaged by improper placement in the past as well.
My point is that this is not an issue restricted to the Twins but to any car. Unfortunately the design that makes lifts work for so many cars also make them not work well for any of them. Part of the problem is that no matter how well they are placed to start with the car can shift a little bit as soon as the weight is taken by the lift. That is what it looks like happened there. Anybody that has used a lift on a regular basis knows just how much of a pain in the butt it is when things move around.

Last edited by Tcoat; 02-13-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
ls1ac (02-13-2019)