follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 04-28-2017, 10:10 PM   #57
gtpvette

Drives: 2015 FRS - FFR GTM
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Cv6 is model of monaro, l67 is basically what every decent gm v6 car had in the 2000s (gtp, regal gs, etc)

Can't say I know about those,,, as I only really know about V8's. Were they DOHC motors??

2015 FR-S - One Day I'll Finish The Swap
gtpvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:23 PM   #58
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpvette View Post
Can't say I know about those,,, as I only really know about V8's. Were they DOHC motors??
No, ohv. As far as I know they share nothing with the newer motors which is why I said I would be impressed if that oil pan fits.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:32 PM   #59
gtpvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
No, ohv. As far as I know they share nothing with the newer motors which is why I said I would be impressed if that oil pan fits.

Gotcha,, based on the pictures this may work. Maybe.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:36 PM   #60
gtpvette

As a sidebar I've hitched my wagon to MRS-COLIN and his solution.

If I have a vote, I need AC buddy. I drive 110 miles a day and have never used cruise control. ABS next,,, traction control and cruise are tied.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:14 AM   #61
gtpvette

Found a source for wiring information. For $20 I'm getting three days to review everything in the 2015 Camaro service manuals (or any other GM product). I've gotten the PCM layout, diagram of all sensors and electronics on the motor and schematics for all of the circuits on the motor. I think I've gotten everything I need to strip down and clean up the harness. Only killed a few trees printing it all.

https://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/s...e-information/

Anyone know if there are wiring diagrams available for the FRS??

Old 04-30-2017, 04:43 AM   #62
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Anyone know if there are wiring diagrams available for the FRS??

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43087
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:02 AM   #63
gtpvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post

Thank you!!

The Following User Says Thank You to gtpvette For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (04-30-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 07:29 PM   #64
gtpvette

As my membership to the Camaro manuals runs out tomorrow,, I finished up the spreadsheet of the PCM pins and plans for them. Generally speaking it's looks easy enough to prep to run standalone. I've ordered a fuse/relay box from Current Performance that will supply the power to the motor and PCM, Fans, AC Compressor. I'll pull all of the loom off of what I have delete what needs to go then tie into the fuse box. See attached txt file.

http://www.currentperformance.com/sh...erelay-module/

PCM will be shipped off to V8-Roadsters for a VATS delete and a base tune ($550). I'm hoping I can pick their brains about the wire harness and what has to go and stay. I'm not sure how much they'll offer as it's service they provide but not inexpensive.

https://v8roadsters.com/shop/engine-...s/base-tune-2/

https://v8roadsters.com/shop/engine-...iring-harness/

I'm still not sure about signals from clutch and brakes and if I need to install compatible switches. I'm also not exactly sure about the data link port. The only inputs I have are the GM High Speed from the PCM and I don't know if that supplies all the needed info.

Lastly AC is important for me as I live in the tropics. I got to thinking should the FRS systems just run the AC?? Do you think it's possible?? I don't know about activating the fans and if there's idle adjustment in the GM PCM so that would need to be reviewed.

Lastly I assume the FRS has a EVAP system and I wonder if it could be dumped into the LFX.

Lots to think about

Attached Files
File Type: txt PCM-PINOUT-text99.txt (23.6 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by gtpvette; 05-01-2017 at 07:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to gtpvette For This Useful Post:
DustinS (05-01-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 08:27 AM   #65
MRS-Colin

Drives: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
As my membership to the Camaro manuals runs out tomorrow,, I finished up the spreadsheet of the PCM pins and plans for them. Generally speaking it's looks easy enough to prep to run standalone. I've ordered a fuse/relay box from Current Performance that will supply the power to the motor and PCM, Fans, AC Compressor. I'll pull all of the loom off of what I have delete what needs to go then tie into the fuse box. See attached txt file.

PCM will be shipped off to V8-Roadsters for a VATS delete and a base tune ($550). I'm hoping I can pick their brains about the wire harness and what has to go and stay. I'm not sure how much they'll offer as it's service they provide but not inexpensive.

I'm still not sure about signals from clutch and brakes and if I need to install compatible switches. I'm also not exactly sure about the data link port. The only inputs I have are the GM High Speed from the PCM and I don't know if that supplies all the needed info.

Lastly AC is important for me as I live in the tropics. I got to thinking should the FRS systems just run the AC?? Do you think it's possible?? I don't know about activating the fans and if there's idle adjustment in the GM PCM so that would need to be reviewed.

Lastly I assume the FRS has a EVAP system and I wonder if it could be dumped into the LFX.

Lots to think about

I suggest the SA-2000 as its a sealed box.

You shouldn't need to swap and sensors on the clutch or brake to be compatible with the GM PCM. A/C is 100% doable.
gtpvette (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 10:40 AM   #66
gtpvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS-Colin View Post
I suggest the SA-2000 as its a sealed box.

You shouldn't need to swap and sensors on the clutch or brake to be compatible with the GM PCM. A/C is 100% doable.

Already ordered the other one and it's been shipped already I'm afraid. It does have a couple of extra fused circuits which is good. Glad to hear about those switches hoping I can find where they plug into the FRS PCM's and just tap in there. Glad to hear your positive about the AC.. it's a must have for me.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:04 AM   #67
MRS-Colin

A quick picture of the harness for my kit. Obviously the module isn't plugged in here.

Left to right:

Red wire without Fast-on terminal: Module ignition. Wire this to a key on ignition source
Red wire WITH Fast-on terminal: Module message selection. Leave this unattached to the relay base to use the E38 message set. Connect to position 8 to use the E40 message set.

Right side small red and black wire with terminals: These will pin into the factory ECU where the CAN wires normally go.

White connector with red and black wires: This will connect to the other white connector pictured. The CAN wires from the ECU will be de-pinned and placed into this connector.

Red connector: This connects to the DLC of the GM engine. If the end user wants they can hard wire this instead of plugging in. There should be no need to connect to the GM DLC as the module will allow the GM PCM to be recalibrated through the existing vehicle DLC.
Dialkyl (05-02-2017), DustinS (05-02-2017), ort895 (05-02-2017), wooly35 (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 10:35 AM   #68
gtpvette

Thanks Colin! Have a question regarding the DLC connection as I'm real new to this CAN stuff. My PCM has two 'High Speed GMLAN Serial Data' pins a + and -. Would those be the correct inputs to your device?? Is it fair to assume I'd be able to read fault codes from the motor off the FRS DLC??

Thanks again

Old 05-03-2017, 01:46 PM   #69
MRS-Colin

Quote:
Thanks Colin! Have a question regarding the DLC connection as I'm real new to this CAN stuff. My PCM has two 'High Speed GMLAN Serial Data' pins a + and -. Would those be the correct inputs to your device?? Is it fair to assume I'd be able to read fault codes from the motor off the FRS DLC??

Thanks again
The DLC plug (red) we provide is set up already so you don't have to worry about which side of the bus you are connecting to (low or high)

CAN bus is a two wire protocol with differential signals. This is a good way to protect against EMI and other interference on the lines. You have a + and - line (high and low) which results in a waveform like this:

You can see the low and high lines are exactly opposite of each other.

Yes, you can read fault codes of the GM PCM through any normal fault code reader through the FRS/BRZ DLC. The GM PCM is actually on the same bus as the rest of the vehicle (as if you just one for one replaced the FRS/BRZ ECU with the GM PCM). With our gateway we then block these specific generic requests so that the FRS/BRZ ECU does not see them so it will not respond. Some advanced scan tools like factory scan tools that use non-generic request ID's will still be able to communicate with the FRS/BRS ECU.
gtpvette (05-03-2017), venturaII (05-03-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 01:59 PM   #70
gtpvette

Just ordered a transmission out of PA from Car-Part.COM. 2014 Camaro (MV5) 2500 miles, clutch and flywheel, shifter and pigtails for the transmission plugs. $1500 shipped. I really wanted that CTS MV7 trans for the ratios but most had more miles than I wanted to deal with and I would of had to get a new clutch assembly.

I'm in pretty good shape now. Motor and Trans both have less that 3K miles and I'm in it for $2900. Still need the AC compressor and bracket and the aluminum inlet tube for the water pump but those shouldn't be too much, maybe $300 used. This is way better than the $4500 + shipping ($550) on the pullout mentioned earlier.

Need to start a spreadsheet on costs.

Family is visiting this weekend and going fishing for 4 days next weekend so I don't see a lot happening for a couple weeks.

Last edited by gtpvette; 05-05-2017 at 05:01 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gtpvette For This Useful Post:
imnotsureaboutbrz (05-05-2017), Sportsguy83 (05-11-2017), surfwaxsmitty (05-10-2017), tirespin782 (05-07-2017), Trueweltall (05-10-2017)