follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

User Tag List

Old 05-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #2829
Semprini
Spline Reticulator

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMachine View Post

Personally I feel if the inspection is about pollution and not an easy cash grab they should do only sniffer tests but almost everywhere does OBD2 only now. Sorry catless guys you stink literally to be behind in traffic all for a couple HP. I was behind a catless wrx yesterday and it took me a long time to get the smell outta my car. Its not worth it if you care about fellow drivers or the environment.
Is running a single cat on this car that dirty? Also, the guys have pointed me at a catted header from ft86speedfactory that would make this a non-issue. I'm not trying to gain 2HP at the cost of pollution - the initial headers I was looking at did not come in a catted version. I definitely don't want a loud stinky fart car - was just looking to swap to something at some point that got rid of that torque dip and made a slight rumble like I've heard with a UEL and a quiet exhaust.
Semprini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #2830
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semprini View Post
Is running a single cat on this car that dirty? Also, the guys have pointed me at a catted header from ft86speedfactory that would make this a non-issue. I'm not trying to gain 2HP at the cost of pollution - the initial headers I was looking at did not come in a catted version. I definitely don't want a loud stinky fart car - was just looking to swap to something at some point that got rid of that torque dip and made a slight rumble like I've heard with a UEL and a quiet exhaust.
1 cat is plenty. It's not stinky. Even a double catted car going WOT you're going to smell it. That's about the only time you'll smell something, but regular cruising and driving, not anything out of normal. You will be fine with a catless header and a catted front pipe. It even gets real quiet with a Q300 as some have heard that setup on my car in person. It's real tame... I'm running an N1 now though for the deep WRX rumble. Much louder, no rasp.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (05-28-2014), MysteryMachine (05-28-2014), Semprini (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 02:16 PM   #2831
MysteryMachine

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ, 2002 Bugeye OBS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't know specifically with our cars. Catless stinks (smell and environment), but going from 2 OEM down to 1 OEM is probably similar to going from OEM to high flow and so no, my guess is not dirty and still within the legal pollution limit - but if your CEL is thrown you will not pass.

Its why I think OBD2 is stupid. CELs for catalyst do not measure pollution particles - they just are triggered if they sense O2 changes out of the "normal range" for your vehicle. Cars can be within limits for pollution and fail because of a CEL, while others outside of the legal pollution limits pass depending on how the range was set etc by the manufacturer.

Then we end up with all kinds of crazy laws, like in California, that make it illegal to tamper with your exhaust or CPU which everyone hates.... let us play all we want with parts as long as what is coming out the tailpipe is within legal pollution limits! (but sadly no one in gov't thinks this way... to them modding cars is evil and dangerous)
Old 05-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #2832
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Drives: fr-s, tundra
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMachine View Post
I don't know specifically with our cars. Catless stinks (smell and environment), but going from 2 OEM down to 1 OEM is probably similar to going from OEM to high flow and so no, my guess is not dirty and still within the legal pollution limit - but if your CEL is thrown you will not pass.

Its why I think OBD2 is stupid. CELs for catalyst do not measure pollution particles - they just are triggered if they sense O2 changes out of the "normal range" for your vehicle. Cars can be within limits for pollution and fail because of a CEL, while others outside of the legal pollution limits pass depending on how the range was set etc by the manufacturer.

Then we end up with all kinds of crazy laws, like in California, that make it illegal to tamper with your exhaust or CPU which everyone hates.... let us play all we want with parts as long as what is coming out the tailpipe is within legal pollution limits! (but sadly no one in gov't thinks this way... to them modding cars is evil and dangerous)
Sooo.. what if you have a ROM that disables that CEL?
Old 05-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #2833
Scottemad123

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorovert View Post
I would assume if you can pass visual and obdII read, and it doesn't smell (to the human nose) you'll be fine. It's what we did with the rsx and hondata. But I think passing the CEL / OBDII read is your biggest go no go for a sticker anyway.
Scottemad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scottemad123 For This Useful Post:
MysteryMachine (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #2834
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorovert View Post
You win!

Disable P0420 and you will never fail in inspection.

For those of you wondering, this is the catalyst efficiency code you receive when running a catless header and the flow matches both O2 sensors equally. Disable this code and your car will love you too. No more richness and pulled timing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (05-28-2014), MysteryMachine (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #2835
MysteryMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
You win!

Disable P0420 and you will never fail in inspection.

If your car is new enough to have a reprogrammable ROM... grumble grumble... (my 2002 wagon was about the last vehicle Subaru made without having a reprogrammable ROM... I have to take the board out and actually get a new chip, or work with someone that really can reverse engineer the chip and code a fix for the P0420 either disabled or set to never be "ready").

Of course reprogramming the ROMs is its own battle when it comes to warranties etc.

Quote:
For those of you wondering, this is the catalyst efficiency code you receive when running a catless header and the flow matches both O2 sensors equally. Disable this code and your car will love you too. No more richness and pulled timing.

Its not when they are equal... there is a certain range that is acceptable. Yes equal is always outside this range and will trigger a CEL. Thankfully for people like me there is a laundry list of conditions the car has to go through after a reset before it considers the 0420 ready to test for. I have to drive through the conditions for the other tests but not for all the ones for the 0420 and I pass the test. Sneaky but it works since they allow one test to be "not ready" before they fail you.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:16 PM   #2836
Yellow13

Drives: 2013 6MT Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
@psk and I were planning to meet sometime next week at DIY to swap fluids.
Nice when were you guys going to go? It is looking more like I wont be able to go until next week so if you guys let me know when I will call up there and reserve the 4-post bay! @DTS Will you be free later in the night if it is a week day?

@trevorovert lol you impatient man

Quote:
I'll probably install this at my apartment on 4 jacks, lol.
If you need a garage, you know im right next door through the gate ... If not I too would like to see this when it is done. I'm also looking to SC, probably after summer, and believe I am going to land on Kraftwerks also. It just looks like a great kit! Plus FT86 offers it with tune ...

Last edited by Yellow13; 05-28-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Yellow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yellow13 For This Useful Post:
FR-S Matt (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #2837
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Drives: fr-s, tundra
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow13 View Post
Nice when were you guys going to go? It is looking more like I wont be able to go until next week so if you guys let me know when I will call up there and reserve the 4-post bay! @DTS Will you be free later in the night if it is a week day?

If you need a garage, you know im right next door through the gate ... If not I too would like to see this when it is done. I'm also looking to SC, probably after summer, and believe I am going to land on Kraftwerks also. It just looks like a great kit! Plus FT86 offers it with tune ...
I can wait until next week
Old 05-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #2838
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow13 View Post

I'll definitely let you know when the install happens. Might be a little bit as I get the oil cooler, catch can, and the required components to make it safe and reliable for a DD.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:49 PM   #2839
Semprini
Spline Reticulator

Garage
Wow.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66505
Harmonizing dampening engine crank pullers are blowing up our motors.
The Wikipedia engineers are doing battle.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:04 PM   #2840
MysteryMachine

Quote:
I'll definitely let you know when the install happens. Might be a little bit as I get the oil cooler, catch can, and the required components to make it safe and reliable for a DD.
what oil cooler are you getting?
Old 05-28-2014, 10:41 PM   #2841
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer

Drives: '14 BRZ - WRB Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Wow.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66505
Harmonizing dampening engine crank pullers are blowing up our motors.
The Wikipedia engineers are doing battle.
That thread makes me want to pop out a lawn chair and .

... his name is...

C'THULHU
Turkish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turkish For This Useful Post:
MysteryMachine (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 10:42 PM   #2842
Semprini
Spline Reticulator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
That thread makes me want to pop out a lawn chair and .
Just make sure its not aluminum.