follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2017, 03:16 AM   #1
Asian

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Car Dies; Immobizer Keyless Entry after AM2 NO.2

Hey everyone, long time lurker here. The light with the red car and lock (immobilizer) keeps flashing on my dash and I can't figure out why my car won't start for my keyless BRZ. The green icon is flashing and I can get the car into accessory mode.

Story time:
Lets start from the beginning. I took my car to autoX on Saturday and everything was running smooth. During my last session of the day. During my lap, the car completely shuts down with no warning (weird right?). Car won't even turn on into accessory mode. I get pushed off the course and my car is only able to start with a push start (MT ofc) for some reason. Car seems fine idling and I turn the car off. I pack up and leave to go home. Halfway along the trip, my car completely dies again for no reason. I pull to the side of the road and my car starts up in accessory mode (didn't push the push start button) and I drive to a safer location (20 seconds of driving) just in case i need a tow, and my car dies again. I call a tow truck and the car could not turn on for the rest of the day. At this point I'm wondering if my alternator went bad (at 36k? no way).

Monday I try to crank my car and it turns on (I haven't been able to start my car up since). I turn it off and then into accessory mode, car dies again. I look around the forums and realize the green flashing key icon never showed up. I swore I checked all the fuses, but AM2 NO.2 was blown. Car should be okay, right? Nope. For some reason I'm getting issues with my key fob or immobilizer.

Troubleshooting:
My mom accidentally took my spare key so I will try using that tomorrow. I tried jumping my car because my battery died figuring out the initial problem. The battery is only a few months old and I used a battery tender to around 75% so far. I tried shaking the steering wheel with a lot of force, mashing the brakes, and starting the car to no avail. The key icon turns solid green when the clutch is pressed in. I am possibly thinking that a ground may have gotten loose or there might be a blown fuse still? Otherwise I may need to go to the stealership to reprogram my key or something.

Any suggestions will be welcomed and appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited by Asian; 04-13-2017 at 03:28 AM.
Asian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:21 AM   #2
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,183 Times in 3,472 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian View Post
Hey everyone, long time lurker here. The light with the red car and lock (immobilizer) keeps flashing on my dash and I can't figure out why my car won't start for my keyless BRZ. The green icon is flashing and I can get the car into accessory mode.

Story time:
Lets start from the beginning. I took my car to autoX on Saturday and everything was running smooth. During my last session of the day. During my lap, the car completely shuts down with no warning (weird right?). Car won't even turn on into accessory mode. I get pushed off the course and my car is only able to start with a push start (MT ofc) for some reason. Car seems fine idling and I turn the car off. I pack up and leave to go home. Halfway along the trip, my car completely dies again for no reason. I pull to the side of the road and my car starts up in accessory mode (didn't push the push start button) and I drive to a safer location (20 seconds of driving) just in case i need a tow, and my car dies again. I call a tow truck and the car could not turn on for the rest of the day. At this point I'm wondering if my alternator went bad (at 36k? no way).

Monday I try to crank my car and it turns on (I haven't been able to start my car up since). I turn it off and then into accessory mode, car dies again. I look around the forums and realize the green flashing key icon never showed up. I swore I checked all the fuses, but AM2 NO.2 was blown. Car should be okay, right? Nope. For some reason I'm getting issues with my key fob or immobilizer.

Troubleshooting:
My mom accidentally took my spare key so I will try using that tomorrow. I tried jumping my car because my battery died figuring out the initial problem. I tried shaking the steering wheel with a lot of force, mashing the brakes, and starting the car to no avail. I am possibly thinking that a ground may have gotten loose or there might be a blown fuse still? Otherwise I may need to go to the stealership to reprogram my key or something.

Have you checked the battery in your key fob? If its flat then it'll cause all sorts of starting issues.
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:27 AM   #3
Asian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
Have you checked the battery in your key fob? If its flat then it'll cause all sorts of starting issues.
I swapped out a battery from another key fob just in case that was the issue. The key LED flashes red when unlocking or locking the car. I also forgot to mention that the car sometimes doesn't recognize the key (green not flashing) unless I hold the key close to the push start button or wait a few seconds.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:37 AM   #4
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,183 Times in 3,472 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I swapped out a battery from another key fob just in case that was the issue. The key LED flashes red when unlocking or locking the car. I also forgot to mention that the car sometimes doesn't recognize the key (green not flashing) unless I hold the key close to the push start button or wait a few seconds.

Get yourself a new fob battery. I recently changed the batteries in both fobs as the car was displaying similar symptoms, the car not reading the fob and when I used the mechanical key the alarm set off. My batteries lasted about 2 and a bit years.
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:32 AM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

You need to figure out why the fuse was blown. Just replacing the fuse doesn't address the problem.

Not specific to the FRS but here is some general info on the AM2 fuse

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/scio...t-start-97537/

Check out pages 61, 64 and 116 here:
http://www.ft86club.com/files/BRZwiringi.pdf
Old 04-14-2017, 12:09 AM   #6
darko

Drives: RAVEN FRS
blown fuse = overcurrent in the system. What else do you have plugged into the car via 12V ports etc?
darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:17 PM   #7
Asian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
You need to figure out why the fuse was blown. Just replacing the fuse doesn't address the problem.

Not specific to the FRS but here is some general info on the AM2 fuse

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/scio...t-start-97537/

Check out pages 61, 64 and 116 here:
http://www.ft86club.com/files/BRZwiringi.pdf
Thanks for the info. I've since checked the clutch starter switch and it seems to be working. So I may have a short somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
blown fuse = overcurrent in the system. What else do you have plugged into the car via 12V ports etc?
I tapped into the interior fuse box for an afr and boost guage, but I disconnected them and reinserted the stock fuses to see if that related to the issue. Otherwise I have a bosch coolant pump that came with my turbo kit attached to the 30A wiper fuse. I doubt that is the problem at all. Otherwise I don't have any other mods tapped into my electrical system.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:23 PM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I've since checked the clutch starter switch and it seems to be working. So I may have a short somewhere?

I tapped into the interior fuse box for an afr and boost guage, but I disconnected them and reinserted the stock fuses to see if that related to the issue. Otherwise I have a bosch coolant pump that came with my turbo kit attached to the 30A wiper fuse. I doubt that is the problem at all. Otherwise I don't have any other mods tapped into my electrical system.
Wait
Wait
Wait
You tapped into the fuse box? You reinserted the stock fuses? What did you have in their before reinserting the stock ones? You may have fried your ECU.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #9
Asian

Update:
Car is still not working. The spare key didn't work, the clutch starter switch still works, and I checked every fuse inside and outside and all of them are in good shape. I borrow a friend's scanner to check for modules and such and I got this engine code: B1572 microphone error
I am also catless so don't worry about the other code.

I should also mention that I received a tune a week prior to this problem.
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2017, 05:28 PM   #10
Asian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Wait
Wait
Wait
You tapped into the fuse box? You reinserted the stock fuses? What did you have in their before reinserting the stock ones? You may have fried your ECU.
When I mean tap, I mean use these fuse tappers with the proper fuses added. I unplugged them and reinserted the stock fuses. I believe I tapped into the DRL, radio, and brakes for the interior fuses when my gauges were plugged in.
Attached Images