follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
FT86 Motorsports
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2016, 08:37 PM   #71
tofurun
Senior Member
 
tofurun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited 6MT
Location: South Georgia
Posts: 324
Thanks: 56
Thanked 86 Times in 62 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Does the Push Button Start push out just like the USB does when removing that small tray?
tofurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:18 PM   #72
WryGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Drives: 2014 FR-S Argento, 2003 Celica GT
Location: SoCal
Posts: 118
Thanks: 85
Thanked 102 Times in 48 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Subd
WryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:00 AM   #73
FR-S Future Owner
Grand Touring Fan
 
FR-S Future Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Drives: 98 2.2L Camry, 87 2.0L Camry Wgn
Location: Mid-Atlantic Region
Posts: 50
Thanks: 43
Thanked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalc View Post
I ended up using approximately 80 sq ft of MLV (minus scraps, so probably 70 lbs into the car), 45 CLD tiles (could have used more), 25 sq ft of 3M Thinsulate Acoustic, and 4 sheets of closed cell foam.

I don't know, probably a good 30-40 hours working it alone over the course of a month or two. It wasn't a 1-day job. I had a handful of times I just did the entire afternoon working on it. Although I did drive the car during the process, so it'd be faster if you dedicated a weekend to it, because a fair amount of my time was assembly and reassembly (I'd take off a panel, work on it, then put it back together). In terms of budgeting your time, the biggest piece is the floor. I did it over a couple days so I had the seats in and out multiple times, if you could dedicate a solid day to it, I think you could bang it out, and then just do the doors separately at your convenience. Having a helper would speed things up immensely - a lot of my time was going back and forth betweeen tools, going back to measure things. if you had one person just cutting material and a person just installing it it'd go much faster. I also got the JDM interior pieces AFTER doing the sound deadening, so I had to have a lot of that taken apart a second time.

I got it all from Sound Deadener Showdown.
Thanks for your detailed reply!

Per SDS: the FR-S kit is $667.15 + shipping.
Installation at Beaver Street Collision & Restoration for a Compact Sedan / Hatchback = 14 hours and $1025.00 (You saved a great deal doing it yourself!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalc View Post
It's tough to say. I don't think I would be happy with the stock car 3 years later. I like everything about the new Impreza except for the vague 5-speed gearbox and anemic 148bhp engine. If they had an Impreza hatch with a BRZ gearbox and a 200hp motor I'd have been all over it. The reason I didn't go for a WRX in 2013 was the high price, crappy gas mileage, and the fact it was based on a previous generation Impreza.

That being said, every couple of months I'll drive past someone, usually a teenage boy, who shouts "Cool car, man!" at me, which I don't think you get in an Impreza.

In terms of non-Subarus, I'm too tall for a Miata and I got sick of FWD after a torque-steery, wheel-hoppy '97 Maxima, although to be honest I think I'd be pretty happy with a modern FWD sporty car with a manual gearbox. But the BRZ is cooler.
Agreed:
- a hatchback is more versatile
- AWD = lower MPG (now frequently offered with a continuously-variable AT to compensate)
- BRZ / FR-S is cooler. Low center of gravity, F/R balance, LSD, RWD. However, I see gripes about the paint, torque-dip, and that it's loud. Mods to address these issues of course adds to the total cost of ownership.

What other modern FWD sporty cars?
- Ford Focus ST (reliability?)
- Mazda3 5-door SKYACTIV
- Mazda3speed 1st or 2nd gen (torque steer)
- Mini Cooper (reliability?)
- VW GTI (corporate ethics, reliability?)
- Something else in the same price range?

Thanks!
FR-S Future Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:30 PM   #74
XanRules
A Very Powerful Wizard
 
XanRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2014 BRZ LTD WRB (RIP), 2017 FiST
Location: Portland
Posts: 558
Thanks: 231
Thanked 243 Times in 153 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I haven't seen anything suggesting the ST is particularly unreliable, though like so many modern cars it's basically a computer with no user-serviceable parts.
XanRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:57 AM   #75
Iamwu
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Drives: 86
Location: Seattle
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just completed fully deadening my frs--
Roughly --
60-70 sq ft of CLD tiles,
70 sq ft of CCF
100 sq ft of MLV (2-3 layers over the rear wheel wells)

Cost me about 250$ in mat'l. Maybe closer to 300 with misc. supplies.

For what its worth:
My build log was posted on a different forum

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...si-mag-v4.html
__________________
km4sh #00002
Iamwu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iamwu For This Useful Post:
FR-S Future Owner (06-20-2016), WryGuy (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #76
FR-S Future Owner
Grand Touring Fan
 
FR-S Future Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Drives: 98 2.2L Camry, 87 2.0L Camry Wgn
Location: Mid-Atlantic Region
Posts: 50
Thanks: 43
Thanked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamwu View Post
I just completed fully deadening my frs--
Roughly --
60-70 sq ft of CLD tiles,
70 sq ft of CCF
100 sq ft of MLV (2-3 layers over the rear wheel wells)

Cost me about 250$ in mat'l. Maybe closer to 300 with misc. supplies.

For what its worth:
My build log was posted on a different forum

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...si-mag-v4.html
Thanks for your reply and the link! I'll have to check out your build log.
  • How much quieter is your FR-S after completing the installation? Did you measure the reduction in noise level in dB with a SPL meter? To which car is your sound-deadened FR-S now most similar? (Mazda3, Mini Cooper, VW GTI, Impreza 5dr, Accord/Camry/Legacy, Lexus, etc.) Is it less taxing on a long trip?
  • Which supplier did you use?
  • How long did it take to complete the install?
Thanks!
FR-S Future Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:16 PM   #77
Ratez
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 2013 GT86
Location: NZ
Posts: 50
Thanks: 2
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalc View Post

You can see the ledge and styrofoam block to the left
For the styrofoam block, I see it just sitting loose and not stuck to the panel on my car.

Is it meant to be sitting loose? I haven't popped off the full panel, as mainly I just noticed the panel loose and a white retainer clip missing.
Ratez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:21 PM   #78
johan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,203
Thanks: 1,197
Thanked 1,130 Times in 590 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratez View Post
For the styrofoam block, I see it just sitting loose and not stuck to the panel on my car.

Is it meant to be sitting loose? I haven't popped off the full panel, as mainly I just noticed the panel loose and a white retainer clip missing.
It should be glued onto the plastic panel. If it's loose, you should reattach it with some 3M trim adhesive. When you get the whole plastic panel removed, it'll be obvious where it used to attach.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:07 AM   #79
Ratez
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 2013 GT86
Location: NZ
Posts: 50
Thanks: 2
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
It should be glued onto the plastic panel. If it's loose, you should reattach it with some 3M trim adhesive. When you get the whole plastic panel removed, it'll be obvious where it used to attach.
Thanks Johan, do you know what is the use of the Styrofoam block?

Also I have one of those plastic retainer clip missing. Assuming it has dropped further into the panel when last owner did some work, is there any chance of it going elsewhere into some dark hole? If it is just sitting at the bottom with nowhere to go then pulling the panel off sounds tempting.

As I would like to refrain from pulling the full panel out and the styrofoam doesn't bother me that much.

Last edited by Ratez; 09-01-2016 at 04:52 AM.
Ratez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:52 AM   #80
why?
Only happy when it rains.
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Drives: series.blue
Location: Harnett county NC
Posts: 1,219
Thanks: 2,502
Thanked 591 Times in 384 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Future Owner View Post
Thanks for your reply and the link! I'll have to check out your build log.
  • How much quieter is your FR-S after completing the installation? Did you measure the reduction in noise level in dB with a SPL meter? To which car is your sound-deadened FR-S now most similar? (Mazda3, Mini Cooper, VW GTI, Impreza 5dr, Accord/Camry/Legacy, Lexus, etc.) Is it less taxing on a long trip?
  • Which supplier did you use?
  • How long did it take to complete the install?
Thanks!
if done right with all those materials it will make a Lexus seem loud. I had a friend who went crazy with all those things, even found a way to silence the windshield wiper motor. It is just amazing. You really should go to diyma if you are interested in that type of thing, those forums are awesome.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #81
johan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,203
Thanks: 1,197
Thanked 1,130 Times in 590 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratez View Post
Thanks Johan, do you know what is the use of the Styrofoam block?

Also I have one of those plastic retainer clip missing. Assuming it has dropped further into the panel when last owner did some work, is there any chance of it going elsewhere into some dark hole? If it is just sitting at the bottom with nowhere to go then pulling the panel off sounds tempting.

As I would like to refrain from pulling the full panel out and the styrofoam doesn't bother me that much.
The block is there for rigidity, helps keep the panel from moving around and flexing if someone is sitting back there resting their arm on it or w/e. If it isn't connected, it's just going to be a source of noises / rattles - so unless you intend to re-attach it, I'd recommend removing it.

The missing clip, if someone's taken it apart before - you never know, there could be more than one missing. Additionally, they are often stuck in the body panel. So you may actually find the clips stuck in the metal where they popped out of the plastic last time it was removed. Again, missing clips means rattles - I'd make sure they're all there and installed correctly. Worst case scenario, you can get more from Subaru.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:40 PM   #82
Ratez
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 2013 GT86
Location: NZ
Posts: 50
Thanks: 2
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
The block is there for rigidity, helps keep the panel from moving around and flexing if someone is sitting back there resting their arm on it or w/e. If it isn't connected, it's just going to be a source of noises / rattles - so unless you intend to re-attach it, I'd recommend removing it.

The missing clip, if someone's taken it apart before - you never know, there could be more than one missing. Additionally, they are often stuck in the body panel. So you may actually find the clips stuck in the metal where they popped out of the plastic last time it was removed. Again, missing clips means rattles - I'd make sure they're all there and installed correctly. Worst case scenario, you can get more from Subaru.
Unfortunately the clip is not on the panel . I will open the full rear panel tomorrow. Hopefully there are no holes for it to drop into, if it was dropped inside the car.
Ratez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:56 PM   #83
notout86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: GTS 86 auto
Location: Australia
Posts: 464
Thanks: 229
Thanked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratez View Post
Unfortunately the clip is not on the panel . I will open the full rear panel tomorrow. Hopefully there are no holes for it to drop into, if it was dropped inside the car.
From outside the car, looking at a rear wheel arch you can see the rubber bit at the lowest point at the front of the arch. It is attached to the underside of the body metal.

It can be pulled away to gain entry to the interior of the car low down and you may find the clip. If you have the interior panel off you can peer down to the back of the car and see daylight in from the wheel arch! Sealing reduces noise entry but leave a small drain hole at the lowest point.
__________________
GTS86 Auto (Australia)
notout86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:06 AM   #84
Ratez
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 2013 GT86
Location: NZ
Posts: 50
Thanks: 2
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for the help. I have stuck the styrofoam back on and replaced the missing clip.

On the other hand found out the metal part holding the rear seat down with the visible bolt snapped. Going to order the part, other than the metal bit is there anything to hold the rear seat? I see a latch at the very back but don't seem to be able to slide back on.
Ratez is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FRS/BRZ Full Interior LED Kit! Choose your brightness! See Installed Comparison Pics! Diode Dynamics Interior Parts (Incl. Lighting) 243 08-29-2018 12:01 PM
What are you using for sound deadening ? mashal Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 108 11-06-2015 01:51 PM
SOUND DEADENING White64Goat Subaru BRZ General Forum 7 04-22-2013 01:36 AM
Quarter Panel Deadening - factory deadening? l0aded Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 4 03-19-2013 07:19 PM
Sound deadening yomchi1989 Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 16 01-02-2013 03:08 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.