follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #127
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Took me about 4 hours but I literally spent 2 hours trying to man handle the tranny off the lower studs because I didn't support the front of the engine. If you don't support the front of the engine it will tip forward (nothing harmed, just leans forward on the mounts) when you unbolt the tranny and then binds on the lower studs making it literally impossible to slide off. I finally pushed the jack out of the way and bear hugged it to the ground (not smart). When I put it back on I realized where I went wrong and got the jack out of my trunk and used it to jack the front of the engine. The tranny slid back on in one push. I also wasted a bunch of time on the boot that covers the shift linkage. I couldn't get it to pull off so I thought you had to take the center console apart to release it from the inside. Turns out you can't release it from inside. You just have to use a ton of force to pull stretch the rubber boot all the way over the linkage. When I put the boot back on it ended up ripping. Next time I do this job I'm just going to cut the boot off and throw it in the trash. The other end of the linkage doesn't even have a boot covering it so I really am not concerned about it.

All that said I think I could get closer to that 20min video if I did it all over again. I also think you could do it in less than 4 hours with good instructions.

Next time I pull mine apart I'm going with this:
https://www.amazon.com/CLUTCH-CHROMO...70_&dpSrc=srch

OEM clutch but with an 11.7lbs flywheel. I know people always bitch about light flywheels on this car but people bitch about light flywheels on all cars and I've had a light flywheel on all my cars and have never regretted it.

You may also want to replace this part while you are in there:
https://parts.toyota.com/p/Scion_201...U00303853.html
Thanks for the suggestions ermax! And yes, I have the new TOB already.

If I can find a seller on Amazon willing to ship it via Prime shipping, I'll jump on one of those clutch kits. I don't mind trying out a lighter flywheel, I always thought this car's clutch felt too light for me anyway.

I'll ask about that retainer bearing part at the dealership later. Do you have to seal it with something (rubber/polyuthrene)? It looks like it bolts onto the inside of the tranny to keep fluid from leaking out.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #128
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Thanks for the suggestions ermax! And yes, I have the new TOB already.

If I can find a seller on Amazon willing to ship it via Prime shipping, I'll jump on one of those clutch kits. I don't mind trying out a lighter flywheel, I always thought this car's clutch felt too light for me anyway.

I'll ask about that retainer bearing part at the dealership later. Do you have to seal it with something (rubber/polyuthrene)? It looks like it bolts onto the inside of the tranny to keep fluid from leaking out.
A light flywheel will not change the pedal feel. It simply reduces rotating mass so the engine revves up and down faster.

The cover comes with a seal which you have to press in. Then it just bolts on. The part number I linked to includes the seal. I didn't replace this part when I did mine but the next time I am in there I think I will. You may need to get creative to press the seal in without damaging it. The most important part is to go slow and keep it completely square.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #129
ermax

I'm only annotating the parts of the video that aren't obvious. If you see something else in the video that you are unsure of let me know the timecode and I will look at it and annotate it.

Unbolt two bolts on the slave cylinder and push it to the side:
Code:
https://youtu.be/ZhjIXU5GRcc?t=4m2s
Unbolt ground wire and then disconnect 2 wiring connectors:
Code:
https://youtu.be/ZhjIXU5GRcc?t=4m21s
Mark prop shaft with paint pen or nail polish and then unbolt:
Code:
https://youtu.be/ZhjIXU5GRcc?t=13m46s
This car is already missing the anoying rubber boot. I sugest saving some hair and cutting this boot off with a knife:
Code:
https://youtu.be/ZhjIXU5GRcc?t=16m27s
Rotate locking tabs up on both sides of the linkage with a flat head and then slide the pins out. This one is hard to explain in words. You sort of have to put your hands on the linkage to understand it.:
Code:
https://youtu.be/ZhjIXU5GRcc?t=16m48s
Unbolt tranny. Do not worry it will not fall off. It is supported by the lower studs. There are 8 bolts total. Two of them run through the starter:
Code:
https://youtu.be/ZhjIXU5GRcc?t=17m12s
Pull the starter out and push it to the side. It will rest nicely on the over pipe. Make sure it's not going to fall in your face.:
Code:
https://youtu.be/ZhjIXU5GRcc?t=20m34s
Critical part I missed. Support the front of the engine so it doesn't tip forward. I used the jack from the trunk with a small 2x4 block and jacked from the water pump housing (not the actual pulley!).:
Code:
https://youtu.be/ZhjIXU5GRcc?t=21m19s
Pry the tranny off the lower studs. You may need to lift on the tail and you may also need to raise or lower the jack on the front of the engine so the input shaft isn't binding at all:
Code:
https://youtu.be/ZhjIXU5GRcc?t=22m44s

Last edited by ermax; 03-18-2021 at 09:24 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (07-24-2018), reeves (07-19-2018), sato (07-25-2018), Ultramaroon (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 11:40 AM   #130
reeves

Quote:
A light flywheel will not change the pedal feel. It simply reduces rotating mass so the engine revves up and down faster.

The cover comes with a seal which you have to press in. Then it just bolts on. The part number I linked to includes the seal. I didn't replace this part when I did mine but the next time I am in there I think I will. You may need to get creative to press the seal in without damaging it. The most important part is to go slow and keep it completely square.
If it's not warped or completely burnt, I may not replace that cover either.
I just bought this clutch kit since it was the only one I could use Prime shipping on to get it here Saturday. At least I won't have to pay the $150-200 price for the clutch alone at the dealership now.. or whatever they're upcharging these days.

Is it ok (i.e., drivable/reliable) to use a light-weight racing flywheel with the OEM clutch? like this one: http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/exed...2013-ft86.html
Old 07-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #131
reeves

Quote:
At least I won't have to pay the $150-200 price for the clutch alone at the dealership now.. or whatever they're upcharging these days.
Just called the Toytoa & Subaru dealership for price on a new flywheel..

$350 at Subaru
$520 at Toyota

I said no thanks, and ordered the $135 one from FT86speedfactory:
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/exed...2013-ft86.html

I even paid the $122 expediated shipping to get it here by this weekend.. total costis still cheaper than the dealership's price.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #132
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Good of you @ermax ,to be so helpful -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #133
ermax

Quote:
If it's not warped or completely burnt, I may not replace that cover either.
I just bought this clutch kit since it was the only one I could use Prime shipping on to get it here Saturday. At least I won't have to pay the $150-200 price for the clutch alone at the dealership now.. or whatever they're upcharging these days.

Is it ok (i.e., drivable/reliable) to use a light-weight racing flywheel with the OEM clutch? like this one: http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/exed...2013-ft86.html
Light flywheel is totally fine on an OEM clutch. I'm sure your flywheel is fine though. Your clutch is most likely fine also. I have 90K on mine and it's totally fine. It's typically one of those things people replace while they are in there due to all the labor. I personally didn't mind the labor so I just did the TOB.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
reeves (07-19-2018), Tcoat (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 02:00 PM   #134
reeves

Quote:
Light flywheel is totally fine on an OEM clutch. I'm sure your flywheel is fine though. Your clutch is most likely fine also. I have 90K on mine and it's totally fine. It's typically one of those things people replace while they are in there due to all the labor. I personally didn't mind the labor so I just did the TOB.
Ok that's good to know. I don't mind the work either.. it's just finding the time (and a buddy's time) to actually do it. But it's only a few hundred $$ for new parts for the next several years, so I don't mind buying everything new... unless the price is just crazily marked up like 300%.

Thanks for all the video notes, I know I'll be referring back to it this weekend.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:05 PM   #135
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
This ^

If I had done my TOB when it first started making noise it would have been about $50. I procrastinated and it blew which took out everything else that would have still been just fine if I had not waited. Big difference between replacing just a noisy TOB and replacing everything else that it destroys if it goes completely.
ermax (07-19-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 02:11 AM   #136
Face_Plant

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
So I assume that since I bought my car used I can't get my squeaky clutch pedal fixed under the TSB? The clutch/throw out bearing don't make any noise, but the pedal itself squeaks like crazy.
Face_Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:27 AM   #137
Trueweltall

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Recently bought an ACT clutch kit (#SB7-XTSS), it came with the old TOB (#30502AA051), just purchased the newer(#30502AA150) one from a dealer. When it gets here in a couple of days I will take a picture of them side by side.
Trueweltall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trueweltall For This Useful Post:
alxtheoreo (07-25-2018), sato (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 11:54 PM   #138
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
This ^

If I had done my TOB when it first started making noise it would have been about $50. I procrastinated and it blew which took out everything else that would have still been just fine if I had not waited. Big difference between replacing just a noisy TOB and replacing everything else that it destroys if it goes completely.
How long from first time you heard it squeal to when it grenaded?
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:46 AM   #139
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueweltall View Post
Recently bought an ACT clutch kit (#SB7-XTSS), it came with the old TOB (#30502AA051), just purchased the newer(#30502AA150) one from a dealer. When it gets here in a couple of days I will take a picture of them side by side.

There aren’t any visual changes other than a little paint dot if I recall.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:51 AM   #140
ermax

Clutch squeak, grind, groan TSB released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Plant View Post
So I assume that since I bought my car used I can't get my squeaky clutch pedal fixed under the TSB? The clutch/throw out bearing don't make any noise, but the pedal itself squeaks like crazy.

If you are still under warranty you should be able to. If it’s just a squeaky peddle then you probably just need new grease on the slave and fork pivot. You can get grease on the slave fairly easy without removing a single bolt. You have to drop the tranny to access anything else.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Face_Plant (07-26-2018)