follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2018, 10:01 PM   #1107
sly

Drives: 2016 Cosworth 2.2 BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've put about 2,000 miles on the supercharger and everything is working fine. There are no more CELs. The hose clamp on the purge solenoid hose seems to have fixed it. So today I decided to put the smaller pulley on. I knew it would have more power but I didn't realize it would be as noticeable as it is.

When I read that you would get ~20hp more, I didn't realize that it would be across the entire power band. Right off the line the throttle response is even tighter. It almost scary fast. At first, I got some more exhaust burble and pops when shifting and even some light backfiring. But after driving it awhile, things smoothed out. It has much more torque. I can cruise at low rpms and it still pulls when I need it to. It's like the car feels even lighter.

It rained coming home tonight and I quickly learned I need to replace the Prius tires. The car still isn't dangerous as it is predictable and fun to drive... But the power now EASILY overcomes the stock tires. Pulling out in first, if I even think about hitting the gas too hard it spins the tires. Same for second and third. Long, flat road after a rain and I punched it in third and broke traction. It was awesome!

So now I need to upgrade the fuel pump. I imagine that if the stock pump can barely keep up with the supercharger, it will have an even harder time keeping up with higher boost pressure. I'll need to stay out of the top end of the power band until I upgrade the fuel pump.

I have the Cosworth exhaust. I noticed that the exhaust note changed with the supercharger. It idles with a deeper tone and sounds very growly when accelerating. I drive with the windows down as much as I can because I really enjoy this exhaust note.

The BRZ has gone from a nice little sporty car to a mean badass that can rip apart any road.
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sly For This Useful Post:
Seba (07-22-2018), secho (07-22-2018), weederr33 (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 04:22 PM   #1108
botbs

Drives: 18 BRZ tS, 27 GRMN 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly View Post
I've put about 2,000 miles on the supercharger and everything is working fine. There are no more CELs. The hose clamp on the purge solenoid hose seems to have fixed it. So today I decided to put the smaller pulley on. I knew it would have more power but I didn't realize it would be as noticeable as it is.

When I read that you would get ~20hp more, I didn't realize that it would be across the entire power band. Right off the line the throttle response is even tighter. It almost scary fast. At first, I got some more exhaust burble and pops when shifting and even some light backfiring. But after driving it awhile, things smoothed out. It has much more torque. I can cruise at low rpms and it still pulls when I need it to. It's like the car feels even lighter.

It rained coming home tonight and I quickly learned I need to replace the Prius tires. The car still isn't dangerous as it is predictable and fun to drive... But the power now EASILY overcomes the stock tires. Pulling out in first, if I even think about hitting the gas too hard it spins the tires. Same for second and third. Long, flat road after a rain and I punched it in third and broke traction. It was awesome!

So now I need to upgrade the fuel pump. I imagine that if the stock pump can barely keep up with the supercharger, it will have an even harder time keeping up with higher boost pressure. I'll need to stay out of the top end of the power band until I upgrade the fuel pump.

I have the Cosworth exhaust. I noticed that the exhaust note changed with the supercharger. It idles with a deeper tone and sounds very growly when accelerating. I drive with the windows down as much as I can because I really enjoy this exhaust note.

The BRZ has gone from a nice little sporty car to a mean badass that can rip apart any road.
How long does it take the ECU to learn the new parameters? I drove the car for 300km with SC now but still have lots of idle dip. No cel so far but I didn't feel a night and day difference yet with the SC on to be honest.

Having said that my shop replaced all the hose clamp and refab the mounting points on the intake tube as original one doesn't fit well.
botbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:32 PM   #1109
sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by botbs View Post
How long does it take the ECU to learn the new parameters? I drove the car for 300km with SC now but still have lots of idle dip. No cel so far but I didn't feel a night and day difference yet with the SC on to be honest.

Having said that my shop replaced all the hose clamp and refab the mounting points on the intake tube as original one doesn't fit well.
It should be smoothing out by now. I wonder if they calibrated the throttle after they reflashed the ECU? You're supposed to turn on the ignition but don't start the car, then press the gas pedal to the floor for 30 seconds, 3 times. This is covered at the end of the install manual.

Mine didn't have much power at first. It took driving it until the engine was completely warm. Then I shut off the engine and restarted it and it had much more power.

The intake tube is rather tight, but I didn't have to re-drill any holes. I had to work it back and forth and then everything lined up. I do wish the silicon 90 degree elbow to the throttle body was just a little shorter so that the tube doesn't hit the hood. That rubber piece they give to stick to the hood was torn off in a day.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:55 PM   #1110
ajc209

Drives: GT86 Cosworth
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I just put a small dent in my hood with a ball peen hammer, repainted and stuck the bit of foam over that. No rubbing now after nearly 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
ajc209 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ajc209 For This Useful Post:
sly (07-22-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 12:32 PM   #1111
botbs

Quote:
It should be smoothing out by now. I wonder if they calibrated the throttle after they reflashed the ECU? You're supposed to turn on the ignition but don't start the car, then press the gas pedal to the floor for 30 seconds, 3 times. This is covered at the end of the install manual.
Yes, the shop did the throttle calibration. I hope the car will be fine after 500km. If not, I need to datalog and email Matt the file.

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #1112
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Updated the front page to include the current/ previous owners!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
botbs (07-23-2018), chaoskaze (07-24-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 06:20 PM   #1113
Matt@Cosworth

Drives: blue - Cosworth SC stage 3.0
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botbs View Post
Yes, the shop did the throttle calibration. I hope the car will be fine after 500km. If not, I need to datalog and email Matt the file.

Thanks!

it shouldn't take that long, take a datalog and send me the file, I'll look into it
Matt@Cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt@Cosworth For This Useful Post:
botbs (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 11:23 PM   #1114
gahooligan

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have the smaller pulley running a 93 octane tune. I have been to the track and put about 12k miles on it so far. No issues running the stock pump. I did install the fuel basket door for the track use.
Quote:

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
gahooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:25 PM   #1115
gahooligan

And to add, I make plenty of redline pulls with the stock pump.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:01 AM   #1116
sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahooligan View Post
fuel basket door
What's this?
Old 07-24-2018, 01:09 PM   #1117
gahooligan

Quote:
What's this?
It hold fuel in the basket at the fuel pickup to prevent starvation in long left hand high G turns, like on a track. More of an issue at low fuel levels and e85 FI applications.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #1118
botbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahooligan View Post
It hold fuel in the basket at the fuel pickup to prevent starvation in long left hand high G turns, like on a track. More of an issue at low fuel levels and e85 FI applications.

Can you share the link on where can I buy this? Is it this one, Thanks!
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/velo...l#.W1egKtJKjIU
Old 07-24-2018, 05:57 PM   #1119
botbs

By the way, my car is now at 1290kg @ the highway truck scale

1) With Cosworth SC, AST Coilovers, 18x9.5 Wheels + 255 Tires, 7/8 tank of fuel
2) No spare tire and no jack in the car
3) I am not in the car
Old 07-27-2018, 03:07 PM   #1120
Seba

Drives: BRZ Cosworth SC MY16
The final countdown begins. In 10 days my brz will become BRZ Cosworth . I hope so.
Seba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seba For This Useful Post:
botbs (07-27-2018), weederr33 (07-27-2018)