follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2018, 08:56 AM   #1
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oh no not another suspension noise thread - MCS 2-Way Externals

So I've been trying to diagnose this noise for over a year now, and I'm coming close to insanity.

Last year almost immediately after install I had a noise coming from the rear of my car.

I had DIF FRSport Rear Shock Mounts, MCS 2-Way External Shocks, RacerX LCAs with poly inserts to maintain STX legality, Mann Engineering bar with RacerX Endlinks.

I checked the common thinks - top nut, swaybar...etc and it never improved. I simply chalked it up to the rear top hats having some spherical play and went on my way.

This year, I replaced the rear top hats with Raceseng (same camber plates I have up front that have been noise free all along).

Once again, noise. Went through the same routine
- Checked top nut (even though they're double nutted). Those are ok
- Disconnected rear bar entirely - Noise still continues
- Every other bolt in the LCA is torqued to spec.

The noise occurs below 45 MPH. On highway speeds the noise is no longer present.

Initially I was thinking perhaps the piston seal isn't fully seating which may cause noise - however these are External Cans and should never exhibit the issue like the 2-way internals do.

Thoughts?
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:59 AM   #2
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
FWIW, a friend of mine had a small clunk from his rear Raceseng upper mounts, put the OEM mounts on and it went away entirely.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #3
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My set of MCS 1WNR had similar noise in the right front and I ended up sending it back to get gone through. They didn't find anything but it was silent once it was returned to me. Raceseng mounts f/r on mine.

With the 2WR I can hear one smallish click on bigger dips <30mph. Not sure what's it from, but I assume the shocks. I had them rebuilt this past winter and I'm pretty sure it's only post-rebuild that I hear the noise.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:30 PM   #4
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Check out this thread starting on post #4585 for a similar complaint, along with the diagnosis and resolution on post #4599:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...arson&page=329

Good luck!
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #5
M0nk3y

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJasonKlein View Post
Check out this thread starting on post #4585 for a similar complaint, along with the diagnosis and resolution on post #4599:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...arson&page=329

Good luck!

Interesting problem.

My noise occurs under light compression, not heavy. I did examine the bodies and I’m not making contact either (FWIW too I have thrust sheets already installed). I have 6” length #350 springs in the rear with helpers. I doubt the helpers are becoming unsprung and causing the noise. It’s chatty even under light mph speeds (not even enough to move the shock body)

I’ve reached out to MCS and they simply told me to send them back and they’ll check it out. I need a seal replaced on the canister too because it’s leaking some oil - pressure is holding steady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kyle H. - #89 STX
The Following User Says Thank You to M0nk3y For This Useful Post:
RJasonKlein (05-13-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 10:01 PM   #6
H1C

Drives: 2014 FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
FWIW, I re-cinched the top nuts at all 4 corners on my MCS 1W's, with the car on level ground, and it seems to have cured the clunk/thwok I was getting at the rear. Mine seemed to have worked a little loose after several auto-x's. I have Ground Control camber plates and rear shock mounts.
H1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:19 PM   #7
Simmons

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
You should probably sell the MCS and buy some HKS

Simmons

Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #8
Xevuhtess7

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just installed 2-way internals on my car, brand new. I am having the same clunking noise in the rear at low speed, low compression bumps too. I re-checked all fasteners, and still noisy.

If I set them to full stiff, the noise is almost gone. Just some squeaky bushing-type noise remains. So it seems like the shock is making the noise.
Xevuhtess7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:03 PM   #9
M0nk3y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xevuhtess7 View Post
I just installed 2-way internals on my car, brand new. I am having the same clunking noise in the rear at low speed, low compression bumps too. I re-checked all fasteners, and still noisy.

If I set them to full stiff, the noise is almost gone. Just some squeaky bushing-type noise remains. So it seems like the shock is making the noise.

Interesting you said that.

After Spring Nationals I was lazy to re adjust my shocks back to almost full soft settings, and I found the same result that the clicking/noise went away almost completely.

I had similar issues on my TCK Koni DAs on my BMW 128 when I was on the soft side of settings. They talked like none other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kyle H. - #89 STX