follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-05-2018, 01:43 AM   #8149
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad86 View Post
Everything was running fine on the Moto East tune for 1-2,000KM. The motor only had about 11,500KM on it when it blew. Bad tune, over revving, and overextended dyno runs by the local shop. I had @moto-mike review the logs from the dyno tune and they ran the car lean at AFR 15+

My mechanic says there might be metal blown into the supercharger and other lines from the exploded block. I hope this isn't the case as it would be more ideal to stay supercharged and go back to the Moto East tune.

I will post up pictures and video soon. I plan to take legal action once everything is fixed and hopefully I will be able to recover some of the cost.

Who did your tune and what fuel were you running, mods, etc.?
moto east did remote tuning, e85 (flex fuel...but I always ran e85) oil cooler, full exhaust, intake.
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 11:38 AM   #8150
riboyster

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
Afternoon all! I've put on a new belt (due to a squeak at startup, and just because I figured the belt needed replacing) and the squeaking is now constant. The idler pulley that came with the kit seems to be the culprit (when I spin it there is a spot in it's rotation where it squeaks).

Does anyone run an aftermarket pulley here, or know of a replacement? I contacted Sprintex, looks like they offer 60 or 70mm replacements for $40. Figured I'd shop around to see if I could find one locally first.

Also - wonder why the non-intercooled would come with 60mm, and the intercooled 70mm? Maybe because intercooled puts out a bit more hp and needs a tighter belt to avoid slippage? Seems weird that they wouldn't just give everyone 70mm then...
Give it a few weeks to break in. My new one squeaked for a bit as well.
ajcarson11 (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 04:06 PM   #8151
sroby

Drives: 2015 Firestorm 08/05/15
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
To. WhataboutBob, hows the elderbrock charger setup working are you still doing heavy track days? Sent my charger to Jon Bon over the winter as you had suggested. He re-did the front drive and performed catch can mod on the charger. Jon is a fantastic guy and I believe he knows the sprintex platform better than sprintex. Best regards Steve
sroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #8152
InnovativeFT86
I'm not a dude.

Drives: 13 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone received a CEL with p0456 (Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected) after the install of of their non intercooled kit? I've had mine for about 2 weeks and the light came on shortly after. Checked hoses, fuel lines, gas cap... I have yet to check the lock ring on the fuel pump canister which is next, just seeing if anyone has run into the same issue?
InnovativeFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:54 PM   #8153
riboyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeFT86 View Post
Has anyone received a CEL with p0456 (Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected) after the install of of their non intercooled kit? I've had mine for about 2 weeks and the light came on shortly after. Checked hoses, fuel lines, gas cap... I have yet to check the lock ring on the fuel pump canister which is next, just seeing if anyone has run into the same issue?
Double check evap solenoid. I had one a few times for about as long as a week. Just seems to go away. I contributed it to bad gas.
Chad86 (03-17-2018), InnovativeFT86 (03-07-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 12:51 AM   #8154
Hill

Drives: Scion FRS
Can someone give me the measurements of the front mount water air exchanger? I have all the parts for the intercooler kit except that. Thinking of upgrading to an bigger intercooler instead of getting the one that comes with the sprintex intercooler kit. Also looking into upgrading the electric water pump.
Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:44 AM   #8155
sam69

Drives: GT 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill View Post
Can someone give me the measurements of the front mount water air exchanger? I have all the parts for the intercooler kit except that. Thinking of upgrading to an bigger intercooler instead of getting the one that comes with the sprintex intercooler kit. Also looking into upgrading the electric water pump.

Intercooler is 600 x 155 x 52 then the water pipes mounts etc protrude a bit more .
sam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:44 AM   #8156
Hill

Drives: Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam69 View Post
Intercooler is 600 x 155 x 52 then the water pipes mounts etc protrude a bit more .
Thanks. I'll keep yall posted on the updates.
Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:57 PM   #8157
revaholic

Drives: 2016 Ablaze Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey all, I've officially joined the Sprintex club! Had the intercooled kit installed and then tuned by Onpoint tuning. Pretty pleased with the tuning, it's absolutely smooth with no gnarly behaviour at all. I'm completely stock otherwise and on 91 octane, and the car was making 191whp and 173 torque on that dyno. Didn't have a baseline but was looking at other runs they've had of NA BRZs and those were making less than 160whp and about 130 torque. It's interesting, in 1st gear especially it needs to be revved out quite a bit to feel a difference and somewhat so in 2nd gear, but as it gets into 3rd that plateau of torque is so consistent just barely above 2000rpm.

It makes me question why Toyota insists on keeping this as an NA platform, because with relatively minor gains like this the chassis is not overwhelmed even with stock tires. It improves driveability a lot and the top end rush is much more pronounced. So far I'm really enjoying it and the sound was a big reason why I got this kit and it doesn't disappoint. I am not chasing big gains but it's nice to know that if I wanted to upgrade the headers I can get a lot more out of it.
revaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to revaholic For This Useful Post:
riboyster (03-23-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 06:59 PM   #8158
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by revaholic View Post
Hey all, I've officially joined the Sprintex club! Had the intercooled kit installed and then tuned by Onpoint tuning. Pretty pleased with the tuning, it's absolutely smooth with no gnarly behaviour at all. I'm completely stock otherwise and on 91 octane, and the car was making 191whp and 173 torque on that dyno. Didn't have a baseline but was looking at other runs they've had of NA BRZs and those were making less than 160whp and about 130 torque. It's interesting, in 1st gear especially it needs to be revved out quite a bit to feel a difference and somewhat so in 2nd gear, but as it gets into 3rd that plateau of torque is so consistent just barely above 2000rpm.

It makes me question why Toyota insists on keeping this as an NA platform, because with relatively minor gains like this the chassis is not overwhelmed even with stock tires. It improves driveability a lot and the top end rush is much more pronounced. So far I'm really enjoying it and the sound was a big reason why I got this kit and it doesn't disappoint. I am not chasing big gains but it's nice to know that if I wanted to upgrade the headers I can get a lot more out of it.
Who did your tune? 191hp, even otherwise stock on 91 octane seems like it's a solid 20-30HP off the mark.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:44 PM   #8159
revaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
Who did your tune? 191hp, even otherwise stock on 91 octane seems like it's a solid 20-30HP off the mark.
OnPoint Dyno. Depends on the dyno though, doesn't it? As I was saying I saw some of their NA runs on other cars which seemed to be in the 150-160whp range so the figure makes sense to me.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:26 AM   #8160
riboyster

I was at ~200hp NA with my own tune. Depends largely on tune and exhaust mods.
And that was on non ethanol 89oct.
Taking ethanol out increases energy density, it turns out. Better performance for NA.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:38 AM   #8161
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by revaholic View Post
OnPoint Dyno. Depends on the dyno though, doesn't it? As I was saying I saw some of their NA runs on other cars which seemed to be in the 150-160whp range so the figure makes sense to me.
It does, but generally people see ~55hp over stock. I would expect 210-215ish if stock cars dyno at 150-160. I'm guessing you probably don't want to spend more money on another tune, but I'm guessing Delicious Tuning or Moto-East could unlock a good bit more power for you, but then again, I could be wrong.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:08 PM   #8162
revaholic

Well there is definitely more potential there if I get new headers or want to tune it to 94, but so far I'm happy with it and the main thing is I'll have to wait til my wallet recovers a bit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
It does, but generally people see ~55hp over stock. I would expect 210-215ish if stock cars dyno at 150-160. I'm guessing you probably don't want to spend more money on another tune, but I'm guessing Delicious Tuning or Moto-East could unlock a good bit more power for you, but then again, I could be wrong.

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.