follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #29
skyline364

Drives: scion fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Actually I maybe 16 but its not like i'm stupid. Thats just stereotypical. I am the top student in my school with a 98% average and i have a job which goes to paying half half with my parents. Not all 16 year olds drivers are wreckless. My school also is filled with bmw m3's, mercedes and mustangs so dont just assume my parents have poor judgement as they dont. What if somebody said that about your parents?
skyline364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #30
Rossman

Drives: '22 BRZ, '17 BRZ (prev '13 FR-S)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline364 View Post
so dont just assume my parents have poor judgement as they dont. What if somebody said that about your parents?
I would believe it. My parents also have poor judgement, just not in this way.

Furthermore, I don't have to make any assumptions about your parents poor judgement, they have quite clearly demonstrated it.
Rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #31
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
My parents got me a 72 super beetle as my first car! Then a year later I got my first new car(on my own), 2004 toyota corolla, and now my FR-S. 16 year kids need beaters or old hand me downs. There is no reason they should get brand new cars. This way it make them want a job, and money to get a better car
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-26-2012), russv (06-26-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #32
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Actually I maybe 16 but its not like i'm stupid. Thats just stereotypical. I am the top student in my school with a 98% average and i have a job which goes to paying half half with my parents. Not all 16 year olds drivers are wreckless. My school also is filled with bmw m3's, mercedes and mustangs so dont just assume my parents have poor judgement as they dont. What if somebody said that about your parents?
i dont care what all these people are on about you being irresponsible. here is the bottom line: that car is expensive, especially for someone in your position. you are inexperienced. you are going to crash. it just happens. in my opinion, you shouldnt a car if you cant afford two of them. your money would be better spent on a used miata or something that is just as much fun but when you crash, you dont have that 25k mistake stressing you out and affecting your grades and your work. poor judgement or not, you shouldnt have a car payment until you have a tenured career
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-26-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #33
alyon

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
I may be 16 but it's not like I'm stupid. That's just a stereotype. I am the top student at my school with a 98% average in addition to paying half of the costs with my job. Not all 16 year-old drivers are reckless. My school is filled with BMW M3s, Mercedes, and Mustangs. So don't just assume my parents have poor judgement. They don't. What if somebody said that about your parents?

[FIXED]

Jesus fucking sheep. Yes you are. Everyone here was young once. Young people are stupid. Learn to spell and punctuate your shit. Spell check was going insane. When you're trying to make an argument online spelling, punctuation, logic, and reason go a long way. Maybe then people will start to even listen to your argument.

Oh, and like everyone said. YOU WILL WRECK IT... and then be THAT guy at school. Just a heads up.
alyon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alyon For This Useful Post:
russv (06-26-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #34
Mpowered

Drives: BR-Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyon View Post
I may be 16 but it's not like I'm stupid. That's just a stereotype. I am the top student at my school with a 98% average in addition to paying half of the costs with my job. Not all 16 year-old drivers are reckless. My school is filled with BMW M3s, Mercedes, and Mustangs. So don't just assume my parents have poor judgement. They don't. What if somebody said that about your parents?

[FIXED]

Jesus fucking sheep. Yes you are. Everyone here was young once. Young people are stupid. Learn to spell and punctuate your shit. Spell check was going insane. When you're trying to make an argument online spelling, punctuation, logic, and reason go a long way. Maybe then people will start to even listen to your argument.

Oh, and like everyone said. YOU WILL WRECK IT... and then be THAT guy at school. Just a heads up.
This thread is so full of LOL its awesome. That said, it's a terrible idea to buy a 16 year old a sports car. You cannot argue with the fact that 16-year-olds have a certain amount of jackassery in them that is just not conducive to a drift-ready car.

Then again, most parents might not know about the full story behind. They might not know that it's a sports car, since it only has 200HP. They might think it's basically a cool looking Civic. It gets great gas mileage, it's got 6 airbags, and it's affordable.

It's a little early to be passing judgment on the parents, even if they should have done their homework first.
Mpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mpowered For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (06-27-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #35
Rossman

Drives: '22 BRZ, '17 BRZ (prev '13 FR-S)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyon View Post
Learn to spell and punctuate your shit.
What's most troubling about this is that he is the "top student" at some school, and can't even spell or punctuate properly!!!
Rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #36
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Skyline364, none of the reasonable advice (and not all of it is, it is the Internet after all) has to do with intelligence. It has to do with experience, which despite what you think, you don't have.

(Can't believe I'm doing this, I should probably get in my rocking chair first)

First, just because everyone at your school has what you say they have, doesn't make it right. There were kids at my high school like that too. Most of the cars did not go unscathed, but some did. Maybe you'll be the exception, maybe not.

By the time I got my license, I was "pretty smart" too. I was at the top of my class in high school (gave the commencement speech at graduation), I had a full time job, I had been riding dirt bikes/go carts/minibikes since I was 7, had been driving large farm equipment since I was 10 and had even driven some really obscenely fast wicked rear-end, no traction control cars (my Dad was a dirt track guy who didn't know better than to let me drive them around the track or "in the woods").

Guess what, despite all that, I damaged or dinged up my first street car no fewer than 5 times in the two years I had it, mainly because I thought I knew what I was doing. I wasn't unsafe, I was just "too smart" for the experience level I had and thought I could do things I wasn't ready for.

Fortunately, it was a $300 car (probably equivalent of a $3000 these days) so no real harm/no foul. I enjoyed fixing it back up after each ding.

If you and your parents are willing to assume that risk, than good for you, just follow some simple rules:
  • Don't race it, regardless of what people say or do.
  • Don't turn off any of the traction control on the streets.
  • If you want to do either of the above, get professional training first and only do it in a controlled environment.
  • Remember that every driver, regardless of age or experience, needs to remember that they are probably not as good as they think they are, and can easily get into situations they can't get themselves out of, you are no different.
Best of luck to you!
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
fatoni (06-26-2012), HotLeopardMama (06-27-2012), Nevermore (06-26-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #37
Billy2224
Professional Racer

Drives: Supra, Cooper S, GT86, Formula 3
Quote:
mate, im 19 and i think that is the MINIMUM age someone should get this car on driving experience. Financially everyone is different but dude, I'm telling you straight out of my own experience. You have to learn HOW TO DRIVE before you get into a tail happy car like this...

I have over 5 years of track experience with all sorts of formula/rally/semi-touring cars and been driving/racing all my life and I still think that I am capable of wrecking this car like an idoit. Dont waste your money on this yet, buy a DC2 Integra or older Miata and buy this car in the second hand market when the price drops in a couple of years.

16?? smart?... wow
Billy2224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #38
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy2224 View Post
mate, im 19 and i think that is the MINIMUM age someone should get this car on driving experience. Financially everyone is different but dude, I'm telling you straight out of my own experience. You have to learn HOW TO DRIVE before you get into a tail happy car like this...

I have over 5 years of track experience with all sorts of formula/rally/semi-touring cars and been driving/racing all my life and I still think that I am capable of wrecking this car like an idoit. Dont waste your money on this yet, buy a DC2 Integra or older Miata and buy this car in the second hand market when the price drops in a couple of years.

16?? smart?... wow
of course you do...you are 19. in a couple years you will probably change your mind and say that 21 is the minimum. i dont disagree with you on what should happen but just why. it isnt a matter of having experience like everyone thinks. even experienced people crash cars. what you need to do is buy a car you can afford to crash. experience or not, things happen. if you cant afford to crash your car, you cant afford your car
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #39
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Skyline364, none of the reasonable advice (and not all of it is, it is the Internet after all) has to do with intelligence. It has to do with experience, which despite what you think, you don't have.

(Can't believe I'm doing this, I should probably get in my rocking chair first)

First, just because everyone at your school has what you say they have, doesn't make it right. There were kids at my high school like that too. Most of the cars did not go unscathed, but some did. Maybe you'll be the exception, maybe not.

By the time I got my license, I was "pretty smart" too. I was at the top of my class in high school (gave the commencement speech at graduation), I had a full time job, I had been riding dirt bikes/go carts/minibikes since I was 7, had been driving large farm equipment since I was 10 and had even driven some really obscenely fast wicked rear-end, no traction control cars (my Dad was a dirt track guy who didn't know better than to let me drive them around the track or "in the woods").

Guess what, despite all that, I damaged or dinged up my first street car no fewer than 5 times in the two years I had it, mainly because I thought I knew what I was doing. I wasn't unsafe, I was just "too smart" for the experience level I had and thought I could do things I wasn't ready for.

Fortunately, it was a $300 car (probably equivalent of a $3000 these days) so no real harm/no foul. I enjoyed fixing it back up after each ding.

If you and your parents are willing to assume that risk, than good for you, just follow some simple rules:
  • Don't race it, regardless of what people say or do.
  • Don't turn off any of the traction control on the streets.
  • If you want to do either of the above, get professional training first and only do it in a controlled environment.
  • Remember that every driver, regardless of age or experience, needs to remember that they are probably not as good as they think they are, and can easily get into situations they can't get themselves out of, you are no different.
Best of luck to you!
This! Thank you. I think the argument about this kid's parents has gotten a little but Dadhawk has put it the best. Next!
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nevermore For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-26-2012), HotLeopardMama (06-27-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #40
excited86

Drives: none
I heard a lot of people say they are smart, only til they got the mark for their first year calculus mid term. Later, they lined up at the registrar office to register that they failed their first semester at university.
excited86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #41
armythug

Drives: Pegasus White 86GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon86 View Post
Hey guys

Just want to see how many of you seen random FR-S buyers who have no clue what it is, and buy it because its cute or good looking. Also have heard comments at dealership room, that made no sense and wishes they don't buy it.
Hey man don't let it bother you. You don't need to be an enthusiast in order to be qualified to buy this car. lol. There will be plenty of people that might choose to buy this car because it's cheap and not giving a damn about the vehicle's low center of gravity. To each his own.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:31 AM   #42
Username

Drives: 6MT Raven FRS, Toyota SR5 V6 4x4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Bringing this thread back onto the topic, my old man and I are each in need of new/different cars. I have been gushing about this car for a long while and have a deposit and should be taking delivery in a few weeks. Just for fun I found a local dealer that had an auto for him to take a peek at. Now, to be fair, my dad is not clueless; he just does not have the same knowledge of the car as most of the people here on the forum do.

He took it for a test drive, after I was telling him more about the car then our salesman knew (which the salesman admitted to). My dad pulled back on the lot smiling from ear to ear.

Now there is a good chance he will pull the trigger tomorrow and end up buying my dream car a few weeks before I can get mine!

Quality FR-S family time in my future.
Username is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Username For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (06-27-2012)