follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2015, 05:32 PM   #29
acetothermus

Drives: Flying in a Blue Dream
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorb View Post
"Add another one to the oil leak list"
Are there a lot of the BRZ's that are having this issue? I know Consumer Reports 2015 car buying guide said this of the BRZ and FRS,- 'Reliability is well below average, and we can't recommend the BRZ."
I figured it was due to the crickets and taillight problems.

I read this too and was curious about the "below average" reliability. Any know wtf they were talking about?
acetothermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:17 PM   #30
MarcFr-s

Drives: mtFirestormFr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetothermus View Post
I read this too and was curious about the "below average" reliability. Any know wtf they were talking about?
I get Consumers Report magazine. They send out to all the readers a survey about any and all cars you own. Lots of questions and they base their "reliability" results on those questionnaires. I gave the car all great scores cause I've had zero problems, but I think no matter how little the problem, it begins to add up in the different areas of the car, very generalized tho. "crickets" could mean "very poor" fuel system, it's insignificant problem, I've never heard them myself. Doubt they have enough subscribers that own frs/brz to give an accurate assessment. Check out their Auto Issue in any year in April. It does have some useful info. I think most of the problems are few, but not uncommon for first year models, but now it's going on 4th year and I think most of the problems are already worked out.
MarcFr-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:20 PM   #31
vgi

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
"Honda S2000 she owned was destroyed by hail March 2013"
Must have been some hail storm.... sounds like bad luck with cars all around.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...light=oil+leak
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...78#post1617278
vgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:45 PM   #32
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
The obvious solution, from my POV at least, is to purchase another S2000 (once this problem has been resolved).
Old 05-04-2015, 08:36 PM   #33
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
My BRZ had disappearing coolant that I noticed within months of ownership. I bought a bottle of Subaru coolant and topped it off once or twice since and it's been fine. I wrote this off as the system not being properly burped at the initial fill (I hope!). When I change my oil I always have exactly what I put in (I use 5-quart jugs) and never noticed any visible coolant in the oil.

I agree with it being hit or miss with this car. Either the motors crap out totally, leak oil in one of two places, or have transmission issues. That can happen with a car from any manufacturer even on a model that's been around for years. I drive mine 100 miles a day 5 days a week for work and just hit 51k trouble-free miles.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to B-R-Z For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (05-08-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 08:19 AM   #34
boogle

Drives: White GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy826 View Post
We can't trust dealerships with the simplest of task locally.
Point bring that's not what happened I'm a pretty good wrench and way better than anything they have there.
I could tell the whole bunch was not to happy with seeing this car back or me. Last thing I told them is its under warranty, it's leaking, fix it!
This might be why you're getting trouble from the dealership. If you're coming off as aggressive and 'know-it-all' they're not going to warm to you. It's the same if someone went up to you at your job and said that you know nothing and they know more than you... but you've got to fix the issue that they couldn't despite being better than you.

If you're friendly, the vast majority of dealerships in my experience will be helpful in return. If a dealership is genuinely incompetent just change to a different one. I've had BMW(!) charge me less than quoted for work, and other dealerships squeeze me in on short notice just by letting them do their job and being friendly.

A dealership often has to go through a set diagnosis procedure to get warranty work approved. It's common in numerous industries, it's not a slight against you - it's just how it is to stop people playing the system. I'd take a deep breath, realise bad things happen to good people and just let it go. You've got an oil leak, it sucks but the dealership is fixing it for free. This might well be the only issue you have for many years to come. Better to wait and see, than lose a load of money getting rid of what's probably a solid vehicle.
boogle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to boogle For This Useful Post:
Chad11491 (05-06-2015), chaoskaze (05-08-2015), Lynxis (09-30-2015), ScoobsMcGee (05-08-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 05:03 PM   #35
Dorb

Drives: 16 LM STI/13 LM BRZ/04 AVALANCHE

You make number 9.
Dorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:09 AM   #36
vgi

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
You make number 9.
number 9 thread.
those were quick search results, it's likely i missed some threads.
i suggest you count people with issues rather than number of threads.
vgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #37
roy826

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited MT
Haha bet you thought I was gone. The car was repaired, the dealership is full of morons, Subaru will never see a dime from us again. The cars paid for she chooses to continue driving this pos because she likes it. Me on the other hand wishes it were gone. 5k miles later it's not visibly leaking but you can get a film of oil on your hand just about anywhere along the drivers side timing cover location. Still won't keep coolant in the over flow tank and it's been topped off repeatedly. I give up! Most recent issue is there is a popping under the car when turning steering hard left or right backing up or pulling forward usually when the body flexes over uneven pavement. I need to carry it back in as I'm sure it's related to the engine being removed, somethings just not tight under there.

I am glad you all love this car but I'm being honest it's a terrible car as far as quality goes. Subaru is a lousy company to deal with and I wish them the worst on down the road. Now back to hating on me when you should be hating on Subaru/Toyota for allowing this pile to exist.

And yes I have been S2000 shopping but just to much wore out junk out there now days. That car has run its course unless Honda resumes building it.
roy826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:49 AM   #38
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Haha bet you thought I was gone. The car was repaired, the dealership is full of morons, Subaru will never see a dime from us again. The cars paid for she chooses to continue driving this pos because she likes it. Me on the other hand wishes it were gone. 5k miles later it's not visibly leaking but you can get a film of oil on your hand just about anywhere along the drivers side timing cover location. Still won't keep coolant in the over flow tank and it's been topped off repeatedly. I give up! Most recent issue is there is a popping under the car when turning steering hard left or right backing up or pulling forward usually when the body flexes over uneven pavement. I need to carry it back in as I'm sure it's related to the engine being removed, somethings just not tight under there.

I am glad you all love this car but I'm being honest it's a terrible car as far as quality goes. Subaru is a lousy company to deal with and I wish them the worst on down the road. Now back to hating on me when you should be hating on Subaru/Toyota for allowing this pile to exist.

And yes I have been S2000 shopping but just to much wore out junk out there now days. That car has run its course unless Honda resumes building it.
I on the other hand, have not had one single issue after one year and 50K miles. Must be because mine is a Scion and is made better.
Soooo...just because you had issues does not mean the rest of us did or will. Carry on with your hatred and enjoy your quest for the perfect car.
PWBRZ (09-30-2015), Ragin Gti (02-02-2017)
Old 09-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #39
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Let me get this story straight...

You are a self confessed awesome mechanic that does all your own maintenance.

The car for all intents and purposes is an extremely reliable (nice full orange dots from CR in engine, transmission, cooling, brakes, etc essential systems) model outside of rattles, taillight leaks, cricket noises from a functional fuel pump, and stereo problems.

You bring it to the dealer saying it's leaking oil and it's out of coolant.
The dealer hasn't seen this car since they sold it 20,000 miles ago.
The dealer tops off your fluids and asks you to keep an eye on it.
There is indeed a problem and you drop the car off at the dealer.

Conclusion:
SUBARUS SUCK.
THE DEALERSHIP IS GIVING ME THE RUN AROUND.

Got it!
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to industrial For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-30-2015), Lynxis (09-30-2015), PWBRZ (09-30-2015), Tcoat (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 02:59 PM   #40
roy826

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by industrial View Post
Let me get this story straight...

You are a self confessed awesome mechanic that does all your own maintenance.

The car for all intents and purposes is an extremely reliable (nice full orange dots from CR in engine, transmission, cooling, brakes, etc essential systems) model outside of rattles, taillight leaks, cricket noises from a functional fuel pump, and stereo problems.

You bring it to the dealer saying it's leaking oil and it's out of coolant.
The dealer hasn't seen this car since they sold it 20,000 miles ago.
The dealer tops off your fluids and asks you to keep an eye on it.
There is indeed a problem and you drop the car off at the dealer.

Conclusion:
SUBARUS SUCK.
THE DEALERSHIP IS GIVING ME THE RUN AROUND.

Got it!
You're so confused let me see if I can straighten this out. Yes I am a good mechanic and wrench on my road race bike and street bikes all the time. No I do not like working on a brand new car which has been maintained by the book by me and it's a pos to begin with. So what if 5 of you here have no trouble that leaves a lot to be said about the quality of this car. The selling dealer was the only choice we had in the matter they flat out are terrible by comparison to say a local Toyota dealership. A car driven by a 52 year old women shouldn't have to have the friggin engine removed at 20k miles

Now carry on I could care less just letting the ones who care know this car is not without some serious issues and the manufacturer is a joke to deal with on any of it.
roy826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #41
zonda

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Quote:
You're so confused let me see if I can straighten this out. Yes I am a good mechanic and wrench on my road race bike and street bikes all the time. No I do not like working on a brand new car which has been maintained by the book by me and it's a pos to begin with. So what if 5 of you here have no trouble that leaves a lot to be said about the quality of this car. The selling dealer was the only choice we had in the matter they flat out are terrible by comparison to say a local Toyota dealership. A car driven by a 52 year old women shouldn't have to have the friggin engine removed at 20k miles

Now carry on I could care less just letting the ones who care know this car is not without some serious issues and the manufacturer is a joke to deal with on any of it.
ur wyfes subaru made u a cranky old man
zonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:32 PM   #42
Fastbrew

Drives: 2014 Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Make sure with all your dinking around with coolant you are not overfilling it. It should be at the bottom/min line cold - that's how they come from the factory. Go ahead and fill a little more if that freaks you out but I run mine this way and it hardly ever needs additional coolant.
Fastbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fastbrew For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-30-2015)