follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
Pat.Thornton

Old 08-27-2015, 02:51 PM   #239
zonda

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2014 brz with only 14k miles has a crunch feeling whenever im an inch from pressing the clutch all the way down. its not a pleasant feeling nor sound.
zonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:52 PM   #240
JS + BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 MS3
Thanked 1,161 Times in 597 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonda View Post
2014 brz with only 14k miles has a crunch feeling whenever im an inch from pressing the clutch all the way down. its not a pleasant feeling nor sound.
Same here.

And a lot of people are having the same issue. haha
JS + BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:00 PM   #241
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
At this point it should be a recall. I`ve had it fixed when the car was at 20k miles, and now at 50k miles it`s back and now I`m out of warranty...
Old 08-27-2015, 03:06 PM   #242
Brzerker

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I just got mine solved, changed out the release bearing (Part No. 30502AA051) and took it out for hard drive and well, the crunchy feel/squeak is gone! And yes, the old bearing was in quite a bad shape...
Old 08-27-2015, 03:09 PM   #243
JS + BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 MS3
Thanked 1,161 Times in 597 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brzerker View Post
I just got mine solved, changed out the release bearing (Part No. 30502AA051) and took it out for hard drive and well, the crunchy feel/squeak is gone! And yes, the old bearing was in quite a bad shape...
Which dealer? Do you think you can post up the service sheet for it?
JS + BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:12 PM   #244
Brzerker

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ View Post
As much as I would like to share, I'm halfway around the world from you :P

Anyway, I did the replacement on my own... Got real tired of playing ping pong with my dealer over on this side... They kept insisting it was the clutch fork or lacking of grease...

Got the bearing at ~$35 USD at the stealership.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:13 PM   #245
zonda

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ View Post
took my car to santa monica subaru. manager definitely felt it and said he would check on it. told me to come back when it gets worse since im still on warranty. at the time i didnt know what to look for, but they seemed pretty cool about it. might go back there and see if they can check the bearing.
zonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:21 PM   #246
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokinbird87 View Post
At this point it should be a recall. I`ve had it fixed when the car was at 20k miles, and now at 50k miles it`s back and now I`m out of warranty...
This is a bad news. This is similar to the tail light condensation. They originally were just replacing the tail light over and over. Then they found that the root cause is the body panel. They started to flatten out the body panel when replacing the tail light and the leaking stopped. This noise is caused by throw-out bearing, clutch fork, pressure plate, slave cylinder, or whatever is damaged buy "something" (root cause) no one knows. Replacing the damaged parts stops the noise, for now, but that "something" damages them again and the noise will come back.

mokinbird87, maybe they would cover yours under power train warranty. You should have power train warranty until 5 years or 60k miles whichever comes first. Might be worth the try.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sigh-on-Rice For This Useful Post:
mokinbird87 (08-27-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 07:56 PM   #247
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice View Post
This is a bad news. This is similar to the tail light condensation. They originally were just replacing the tail light over and over. Then they found that the root cause is the body panel. They started to flatten out the body panel when replacing the tail light and the leaking stopped. This noise is caused by throw-out bearing, clutch fork, pressure plate, slave cylinder, or whatever is damaged buy "something" (root cause) no one knows. Replacing the damaged parts stops the noise, for now, but that "something" damages them again and the noise will come back.

mokinbird87, maybe they would cover yours under power train warranty. You should have power train warranty until 5 years or 60k miles whichever comes first. Might be worth the try.
oh I forgot about that. I`m gonna give that a try.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #248
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

how many petitions was needed for a recall to happen again? I mean, what do I do when I run out of the powertrain warranty?
Old 08-27-2015, 10:44 PM   #249
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastasmurF View Post
Tell them to check your throwout bearing even if it costs a diagnostic fee. It takes them about 4-5 hours. If they find it to be defective then you shouldn't have to pay and it should be covered under warranty. I should be getting mine back today...
I'm just having a hard time committing to a $500 bill if they decide that it's ok. I know it isn't but...
Old 08-28-2015, 09:29 AM   #250
MastasmurF

Drives: Black 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
I'm just having a hard time committing to a $500 bill if they decide that it's ok. I know it isn't but...

Ouch... I guess my dealership is cheap. I think they only charge around $150.. Usually they won't make you pay until after they check, not up front. At least this is how my dealership does it.
MastasmurF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #251
MastasmurF

Drives: Black 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice View Post

Man, I had my tail light replaced 3 or 4 times over the 3 years I've owned the car. This is very concerning though... I don't want to have to go through this again in another 20k miles. I wonder if after market clutches are worth looking in to just to avoid this. Or perhaps if it does happen again I'll do that.

Update 4: I picked my car up from the dealership yesterday. My clutch is now SILKY SMOOTH... It actually feels smoother than when the car was brand new or maybe I just don't remember the feeling because mine has been defective for a while now. I will post my service sheet below in case anyone else needs some reference. Also, after they replaced my clutch assembly they found that the flywheel was defective as well so they kept my car for an extra day while those parts were ordered.

Edit: P.S. Toyota is claiming the whole issue is from the driver resting his or her foot on the clutch pedal too often... Duno...
Attached Images

Last edited by MastasmurF; 08-28-2015 at 10:39 AM.
MastasmurF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MastasmurF For This Useful Post:
8R6 (08-28-2015), Sigh-on-Rice (08-28-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #252
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastasmurF View Post
View Post
Tell them to check your throwout bearing even if it costs a diagnostic fee. It takes them about 4-5 hours. If they find it to be defective then you shouldn't have to pay and it should be covered under warranty. I should be getting mine back today...
I wouldn't recommend to pay for that. My throw-out bearing got replaced, but that didn't get rid of the noise. So, it can very well happen that you pay $500 and the noise still doesn't go away. I would try different dealers until they say they will take care of it under warranty. If you can't find any dealer near you to do so, I would contact Toyota. Toyota should already know that there are many warranty work for this issue.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sigh-on-Rice For This Useful Post:
JS + BRZ (08-28-2015)