follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 10-27-2017, 11:23 PM   #1
FRS2017
Enthusiast 86

Drives: Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Lightbulb OpenFlash Tablet for GT86

So in future I'm thinking of getting this tablet to tune my Toyota 86, but need a bit more info on what the goods and bad of it from personal experience.

- Here in Australia we use 98 for the Toyota 86, so what stage 1 tune do you use?

- will there be any fuel economy reduction (more fuel use)?

- the main plus seems to be torque dip increase and about 16 HP increase can you give some light on this?

Install looks so simple, just don't mess with the car when its updating.

Would love to here some feedback on this OpenFlash Tablet, its $600 Aus - as much as an Xbox One X
FRS2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:46 PM   #2
Boomerang

Drives: 2015 Toyota GT86 MT UEL E85 RSR CWP
Thanked 4,850 Times in 2,166 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
- you use the stg1 tune that will preload with your cal id. There are problems with logging IAM, FLKC with many newer ROMs but there are ways around it. Steve and Wayno are all over it. Plenty of help on this forum

-more power = more fuel

- torque dip is reduced slightly, but it is still there. You need a header/FI to totally remove it

- lots of fun stuff like launch control, FFS, customising engine parameters can be done if you do your homework

overall a good investment
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:41 AM   #3
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Yes logging IAM is not supported on newer ROMs. I have a 15+ ROM (same id used in Australia). You can calculate IAM indirectly using other parameters, but not so convenient. It bothered me a bit, because it gives you the impression that the product is not supported well nowadays.

On results ... the stage 1 map will give you more torque in the dip area. The dip is still there but it is better. Personally, I sold it because it wasn't really what I was looking for. I wanted more power top end. Not as good in this area and it changed the character of the car. I guess the same can be said for headers that remove entirely the torque dip. The new owner was quite happy, so it depends.

Last edited by nikitopo; 10-28-2017 at 03:23 AM.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:51 AM   #4
FRS2017
Enthusiast 86

Drives: Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the help guys, sound like its not really worth the money unless I really got nothing better to spend it on. A new header sounds like another upgrade, but I would have to get a catted header as regulations in Australia need it (not that many check).

Cost $1000 to get one, so its another save up.

I really don't like the tinny sound that UEL make, but I really haven't herd it in person so maybe its not as bad as it sounds.
FRS2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:02 AM   #5
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS2017 View Post
Thanks for the help guys, sound like its not really worth the money unless I really got nothing better to spend it on. A new header sounds like another upgrade, but I would have to get a catted header as regulations in Australia need it (not that many check).

Cost $1000 to get one, so its another save up.

I really don't like the tinny sound that UEL make, but I really haven't herd it in person so maybe its not as bad as it sounds.

Equal length sounds way more shrill. UEL naturally builds up a deeper, all else equal, sound by natural design. Clashing pulses and resonance and whatnot.

Not sure what kinda exhausts you've heard to give you that impression mate, I'd go in person to listen to some. I've never heard a good EL. I am very biased to UEL though.
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:12 PM   #6
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Even if you decide to get Headers you will need to get a tune for it. So if you have the OpenFlash Tablet you would be able to tune it yourself. Wouldn't be a bad idea to buy one if you are deciding to get headers.
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote