follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
Afdad120108

Drives: Mr2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Change gear ratio?

So im not an expert but a buddy of mine has a mustang ppl are know for changeing out the stock gears to 3.73 or 4.10's. Now im not sure what the FR-S final drive is but could we change it for quicker 0-60 times like the mustangs?
Afdad120108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afdad120108 View Post
So im not an expert but a buddy of mine has a mustang ppl are know for changeing out the stock gears to 3.73 or 4.10's. Now im not sure what the FR-S final drive is but could we change it for quicker 0-60 times like the mustangs?
It's 4.10 here. The only lower ratio I can think of that may have chance is the 4.30 from a NA Mk3 Supra. But that's pretty much ancient history. Japan gets 3.73s on their base model.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
Afdad120108

So could we change the to 4.30 and would it make a difference? Im sure some company will pick up makeing some aftermarket gears i there is enough demand for it
Old 04-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afdad120108 View Post
So could we change the to 4.30 and would it make a difference? Im sure some company will pick up makeing some aftermarket gears i there is enough demand for it
We don't know yet. The diff may be an evolution of the Mk3's but that is 25 years of evolution, so they could be too far changed.

4.30 wouldn't make enough of a difference for the work, unless there are engine mods that increase the rev limit and the power up top, I think.

Because titanium.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
Afdad120108

Oh i see and anything shorter would most likely hurt fuel economy and such so wouldnt really be worth it
Old 04-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
arghx7

Drives: car
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
If it were shorter, people would bitch about fuel economy and possibly noise/vibration from turning higher rpm. You can't please everyone. If there is enough demand, the aftermarket could supply a new final drive ratio.
arghx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Has the aftermarket ever provided a single different gearset? 0.61 6th gear would be a milder rpm drop going 5-6 than the 1-2 shift, and would save a crapload of fuel on the highway especially if you're going under 70mph.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
Sleeperz
Banned

Drives: 1982 Toyota Corolla Coupe SR5
For a small change you could use smaller diameter tires.
Sleeperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
arghx7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeperz View Post
For a small change you could use smaller diameter tires.
and throw off the speedometer if you don't have a way to change its calibration... The vehicle speed should be calculated by the wheel speed sensors through the stability control system. So if the final tire diameter doesn't change it the speedometer would remain accurate.

I would think that changing the final drive ratio would be the easiest solution to turn higher revs without other drawbacks.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
GMU-BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru Impreza Sport
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I was wondering about this. I'm not planning on tracking my car, just having it as a daily driver. I was wondering if I could make 5th and 6th, or maybe even just 6th, a little longer to make it about even with the AT. Probably get 35mpg highway vs 30 currently. I guess I'd have to consider cost, potential warranty issues, etc.
GMU-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Has the aftermarket ever provided a single different gearset? 0.61 6th gear would be a milder rpm drop going 5-6 than the 1-2 shift, and would save a crapload of fuel on the highway especially if you're going under 70mph.
For Subaru there are a few options, PPG is one company. For Toyota, Marlin Crawler has offered gearsets for the old R series transmission (Mk3 Supra and trucks).

But these were performance and strength oriented rather than economy.

Because titanium.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
arghx7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU-BRZ View Post
I was wondering about this. I'm not planning on tracking my car, just having it as a daily driver. I was wondering if I could make 5th and 6th, or maybe even just 6th, a little longer to make it about even with the AT. Probably get 35mpg highway vs 30 currently. I guess I'd have to consider cost, potential warranty issues, etc.
On the surface, it certainly seems like turning fewer rpms would yield fuel economy benefits on the highway. And it might in certain situations. But I'm not sure where you get an additional 5mpg from--where did you get that number? Do you really think that, if 5 highway mpg (even 2) were achievable with no drawbacks from something as simple as a gear ratio change, that Toyota wouldn't have done it?

Here's what you have to keep in mind. It's a relatively high revving 2 liter engine with limited part throttle, low rpm torque. It's not a GM LSx V8 engine. If you put the thing in top gear and accelerate at Interstate speeds like on the US06 drive cycle used for certification, you are going to load the engine down further.

Not only could the vehicle feel more sluggish than if it had shorter gearing, the exhaust temperatures are going to increase from the additional load. Then the stock ECU would probably enrich the mixture to reduce exhaust temperatures so the cat, exhaust manifolds, exhaust valves, etc will be protected. So there goes part of your fuel economy benefit. From Toyota's perspective they could have trouble meeting CO emissions standards from the enrichment that results from lugging a high revving, small displacement engine.

Remember that due to taxation the manufacturer already has an incentive to get higher fuel economy for the vehicle as long as that doesn't cause other problems.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to arghx7 For This Useful Post:
Blokatos (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
It's 4.10 here. The only lower ratio I can think of that may have chance is the 4.30 from a NA Mk3 Supra. But that's pretty much ancient history. Japan gets 3.73s on their base model.
Why would they use the huge rear end from a Supra? More likely it's the same size as the RX-8. Those have 4.444 and 4.777 gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arghx7 View Post
If it were shorter, people would bitch about fuel economy and possibly noise/vibration from turning higher rpm. You can't please everyone. If there is enough demand, the aftermarket could supply a new final drive ratio.
Options would still be nice. The 4.1 is a compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU-BRZ View Post
I believe the 3.727 gears only improved MPG by 2-3 but I'd have to check again to be sure. Since the OD gear is the tallest one available in the transmission. You'd have to get a custom Overdrive gear which is $$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arghx7 View Post
Not only could the vehicle feel more sluggish than if it had shorter gearing, the exhaust temperatures are going to increase from the additional load. Then the stock ECU would probably enrich the mixture to reduce exhaust temperatures so the cat, exhaust manifolds, exhaust valves, etc will be protected. So there goes part of your fuel economy benefit. From Toyota's perspective they could have trouble meeting CO emissions standards from the enrichment that results from lugging a high revving, small displacement engine.
Taller gears do improve MPG to a point. But you will lose some low end acceleration. What arghx7 is saying is that if you increase the load to the open loop enrichment part of the map you will eat up any MPG benefit. It's the same way if you shorten the gear ratio so that you're cruising on the highway in open loop, your MPG will be atrocious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #14
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
Why would they use the huge rear end from a Supra? More likely it's the same size as the RX-8. Those have 4.444 and 4.777 gears.

Options would still be nice. The 4.1 is a compromise.

I believe the 3.727 gears only improved MPG by 2-3 but I'd have to check again to be sure. Since the OD gear is the tallest one available in the transmission. You'd have to get a custom Overdrive gear which is $$$.

Taller gears do improve MPG to a point. But you will lose some low end acceleration. What arghx7 is saying is that if you increase the load to the open loop enrichment part of the map you will eat up any MPG benefit. It's the same way if you shorten the gear ratio so that you're cruising on the highway in open loop, your MPG will be atrocious.
I believe it's the same diff as the IS which has its roots with the old Supra and that's the only lower diff ratio I could remember off the top of my head. Trans is related to the RX-8, but not sure the diff is.

Because titanium.