follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-06-2019, 02:02 AM   #1
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,318 Times in 4,120 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brake pad release: what does this mean?

I have seen a couple of references (hello @CSG Mike !) to brake pad release. That is, the way the brake pad behaves when coming off the brakes.

I'm just a noob track day driver. I release the brakes, slowly or quickly, my car behaves accordingly.

Could someone explain how this characteristics translates to car behavior?

Ta.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:23 AM   #2
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
I have seen a couple of references (hello @CSG Mike !) to brake pad release. That is, the way the brake pad behaves when coming off the brakes.

I'm just a noob track day driver. I release the brakes, slowly or quickly, my car behaves accordingly.

Could someone explain how this characteristics translates to car behavior?

Ta.
If you have a pad with great release characteristics, it lets you more precisely modulate trail braking, letting you smoothly shift the load from forward to lateral, allowing you more control on corner entry, as well as superior corner entry speed, and earlier weight shift for better balance.

This requires a pad that has great temperature stability; most of the cheaper race pads get you the higher maximum operating temperatures novices look for after fading their stock or non-track-worthy pads, but that is typically all you get.

You don't find this type of release characteristic until you're at something like a RB340, C1, or H2x grade of pad. Professional motorsports don't use these pads "because they're expensive". They use them because they give the drivers superior confidence and control, which leads to better results. Likewise, this grade of pad is universally more intuitive, allowing beginners more opportunity to learn modulation both on application and release. These pads just also all happen to have better life and thermal tolerance as a byproduct of their formulations.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (08-06-2019), Icecreamtruk (08-06-2019), Iceman (08-12-2019), ls1ac (08-06-2019), new2subaru (08-06-2019), soundman98 (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 06:33 AM   #3
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,318 Times in 4,120 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
If you have a pad with great release characteristics....

Thank you for the explanation.
Where abouts do you place Carbotech's XP range?

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:05 PM   #4
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Thank you for the explanation.
Where abouts do you place Carbotech's XP range?
longer pedal travel due to the formulation and press tonnage. Great for beginners who've never used any sort of race type pad before, but too long of a pedal for my preference.

Friction varies with temperature, so brake pedal pressure and modulation/release range changes with the temperature of the pad. Bias also changes with pad temperature differential front/rear.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (08-06-2019)