follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
Open Loop
2013 FR-S Whiteout / SSC

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Safety Equipment for Track Days?

Hi Everyone - I am running my car in SSC but have taken an interest in doing time trials with the new SCCA time trials program. It permits me to run with my three point stock seatbelt but I am seriously considering more in the way of restraints.

I am interested in whether anyone is running a four-point harness with their stock seats, and how that should be set up to be safe.

I am also considering whether I should use a HANS device or the Simpson Hybrid device when running on the track.

Thank you for your thoughts!
Open Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:01 PM   #2
nico_rsx

Drives: BRZ 2017 Pure Red, MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
A harness in a car with no roll bar/cage and stock seat, is actually less safe than the stock seat belt. If you just want it to move less in your seat, you could consider a CG-Lock, which lock the lap portion of the belt.
nico_rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nico_rsx For This Useful Post:
Open Loop (08-13-2018), Tristor (09-02-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #3
Open Loop
2013 FR-S Whiteout / SSC

Thank you. I am running a lap belt over the three point belt to hold me in place already. I am interested in additional safety. Perhaps the only other addition I should make is a Simpson Hybrid S restraint, which while not cheap is marketed as compatible with a three point belt.

Last edited by Open Loop; 08-13-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #4
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
The Simpson Hybrid-S is probably your best bet if you are not going to add a roll-bar.

If you are going to use a HANS device, you need a harness, and then you are going to want a roll-bar for safety reasons nico mentioned.

I have a Schroth harness in my BRZ for autocross, but do not use it when on the track. I also only do casual (non-TT) track days in my BRZ. On my full time track/TT car I have a roll-bar, harness, HANS, and better helmet. For me, that is the minimum safety gear I like to have when track driving with other cars on track.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #5
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
I use a Simpson Hybrid S., which is compatible with OEM 3 point, as well as 4/5/6 point harnesses.

PM me to order safety gear.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:55 PM   #6
nico_rsx

Drives: BRZ 2017 Pure Red, MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
While we are on the subject, a couple of people in my local AutoX group use kart style neck brace/collar (the ones that look like a simple foam donut).
Do those have any real safety benefit (to prevent or reduce neck injury), or are they only to reduce strain in high G cornering?

Keep in mind I have no intention to spend 1000$ for the Simpson thing, but wouldn't mind paying 50-60$ for the kart collar (I also do some rented karting 2-3x per year).
nico_rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:32 PM   #7
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico_rsx View Post
While we are on the subject, a couple of people in my local AutoX group use kart style neck brace/collar (the ones that look like a simple foam donut).
Do those have any real safety benefit (to prevent or reduce neck injury), or are they only to reduce strain in high G cornering?

Keep in mind I have no intention to spend 1000$ for the Simpson thing, but wouldn't mind paying 50-60$ for the kart collar (I also do some rented karting 2-3x per year).
They help in a few ways.
One they help take the weight off your neck. They help keep your head from going to far forward/backwards aka whip lash. And just general overall fatigue.

Cheap way to add a bit more safety.

Although you do have to get used to. When I first got mine it was a chore looking left and right. Maybe cause it was new and super stiff.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
nico_rsx (08-14-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #8
ubernostrum

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Ltd GBS 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
It has been my understanding that they are for comfort and don't have any profound safety benefit. The collar helps support the weight of the helmet to lessen fatigue on your neck muscles. But in a crash of any severity it isn't going to make a dent in absorbing the energy of the weight of the helmet being tossed around.
ubernostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ubernostrum For This Useful Post:
nico_rsx (08-15-2018), Sleepless (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM   #9
Open Loop
2013 FR-S Whiteout / SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I use a Simpson Hybrid S., which is compatible with OEM 3 point, as well as 4/5/6 point harnesses.

PM me to order safety gear.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, or I would have contacted you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Open Loop For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-16-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 06:39 PM   #10
dpaqu

Drives: 2018 Gt86
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinco View Post
The Simpson Hybrid-S is probably your best bet if you are not going to add a roll-bar.

I have a Schroth harness in my BRZ for autocross, but do not use it when on the track. I also only do casual (non-TT) track days in my BRZ. On my full time track/TT car I have a roll-bar, harness, HANS, and better helmet. For me, that is the minimum safety gear I like to have when track driving with other cars on track.
I guess you don't trust the ASM on the Schroth? I was about to pull the trigger on one for some HPDE events at Dominion Raceway. I don't want to cage my car and hope to purchase a dedicated track car as my skills increase. What would you recommend?
dpaqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:19 PM   #11
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaqu View Post
I guess you don't trust the ASM on the Schroth? I was about to pull the trigger on one for some HPDE events at Dominion Raceway. I don't want to cage my car and hope to purchase a dedicated track car as my skills increase. What would you recommend?
It's not the ASM, I just don't want to be stuck upright if my car lands on its lid. If I have my shoulder harness on in the solid race seat, it would be bad news. I want to be able to flop to the side in the event the car rolls, the OEM belt will let you do that.

The Simpson Hybrid S is the way to go I think, especially if you are going to be getting faster and more competitive (w/out a roll bar). In fact, I might get one of those to use when I track my BRZ more and more.

Last edited by justinco; 09-03-2018 at 09:57 PM.
justinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:52 PM   #12
imhereforthecar

Drives: FRS
Quote:
A harness in a car with no roll bar/cage and stock seat, is actually less safe than the stock seat belt.
I have seen this posted enough to believe it, but I haven't found anyone describing why. Can someone elaborate?
imhereforthecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:17 PM   #13
Joesurf79

Drives: 2016 White Pearl BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhereforthecar View Post
I have seen this posted enough to believe it, but I haven't found anyone describing why. Can someone elaborate?
Factory seats are designed to function as part of a safety system. The factory belts "slowly" decelerate your body in a frontal impact, working in conjunction with airbags, etc.

Factory seats are designed to be loaded in specific ways as a part of that system. Harnesses on the other hand have no give. They are designed to keep you firmly in place, and deform less. Which means that the factory seat would be loaded in ways it's not designed for. Then there is routing. Are you going to pass the straps between the head rest posts? Not a solid option.

Then there is the mounting problem. What would you mount the harness to in order to accommodate factory seat? A bolt in " harness bar " may work great as an anchor for the harness to hold you during spirited driving, but I'd hate to see what happens in a crash when one takes full g load.

Fixed back race bucket in a car with no roll protection - justinco covered that. Just dont.
Joesurf79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joesurf79 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 09:22 PM   #14
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhereforthecar View Post
A 3 point belt is designed to allow some lateral movement in the event of the top collapsing. With a harness, you're getting your spine compressed in that event. A case prevents that event from happening, which is why I consider a cage mandatory for a harness.

Likewise, a HANS device or equivalent is also mandatory. A harness will hold your torso in place, but not your head, and your head is heavy. A HANS type device will prevent you from breaking your neck in a frontal impact.

I recommend you use a Hybrid-S. I use one in any street car I sit in.

PM me to order.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
justinco (09-03-2018)