follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #113
jonboy99

Drives: Black Panda BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks humfrz. Yes, I had an NC for a few months before my brz. I acutally had a roadstersport superQ on it so probably a lil quieter than your pipe.

I loved the sound, particularly the pops and burbles so shame the nameless doesn't have that.

The nameless sounds like what I want tbh, but to get it to canada would be close on 800 bucks with duties etc, pretty expensive for an axleback. Cant decide if I should spend a bit more and get the fa20club EL headers to fill out the torque dip a bit better - 1st world problems!

Did you notice any improvement in the dip with the axleback? Nameless says it should help on their website but i'm a bit sceptical exactly how much.

Jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hello jonboy99 ......

Did you cross over from a miata?

The sound of the nameless (with 2.5" piping and 5" mufflers) is about the same as the RoadsterSport on the miata, with the supplied inserts installed.

The nameless doesn't "drone" at speed as long as it is constant. However, upon acceleration, it will make some sound, heard in the cabin (about as much as the sound generator).

The outside sound is just right (for my ears). You can hear me coming and going, but it doesn't scream ... LOOK AT ME!

I've found that the Nameless system, to the FR-S, is about the same as the RoadsterSport I muffler, was to the NC (Miata) as far as giving the exhaust note a "sports car sound".

PS - The nameless system does not burble or pop on de-acceleration like the RS did ..... for whatever that's worth.

humfrz
jonboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #114
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy99 View Post
Thanks humfrz. Yes, I had an NC for a few months before my brz. .......... Did you notice any improvement in the dip with the axleback? Nameless says it should help on their website but i'm a bit sceptical exactly how much.

Jon
Hello jonboy99 .....

Speaking to the "torque dip", either my FR-S doesn't do it .... or, I just can't see/feel it ..... or, I don't know what to look/feel for .....

If the nameless muffler(s) does help out with this dip thing, the sensation/feel for me is masked by the sound of the exhaust. Yes, exhaust "sound" does add HP on my ear dyno. I can't help it .... my ear dyno was calibrated back in the days of glass packed ("cherry bomb") mufflers, either put on backwards or burnt out.

Having said that, the $666. () ...... spent on the new exhaust system does increase HP, gas mileage, top speed and eliminates torque dip (so we can pass other cars more safely). At least, that's what I told mrs humfrz ..... .

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
jonboy99 (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #115
jonboy99

Good info, thanks. Final question - above 4-5000rpm, does the noise of the exhaust overwhelm the sound tube noise, or do they meld into a glorious normally aspirated eargasm? I actually really like the sound of the intake thro the sound tube, and wouldn't want to drown it out.

Re the dip it might be a bit more apparent to me, as my other car is just giving me a solid sock in the back as the turbo wakes up at the same rpm, but both engines are great in their own way.

Jon

Quote:
Hello jonboy99 .....

Speaking to the "torque dip", either my FR-S doesn't do it .... or, I just can't see/feel it ..... or, I don't know what to look/feel for .....

If the nameless muffler(s) does help out with this dip thing, the sensation/feel for me is masked by the sound of the exhaust. Yes, exhaust "sound" does add HP on my ear dyno. I can't help it .... my ear dyno was calibrated back in the days of glass packed ("cherry bomb") mufflers, either put on backwards or burnt out.

Having said that, the $666. () ...... spent on the new exhaust system does increase HP, gas mileage, top speed and eliminates torque dip (so we can pass other cars more safely). At least, that's what I told mrs humfrz ..... .

humfrz
Old 11-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #116
humfrz

Quote:
Good info, thanks. Final question - above 4-5000rpm, does the noise of the exhaust overwhelm the sound tube noise, or do they meld into a glorious normally aspirated eargasm? I actually really like the sound of the intake thro the sound tube, and wouldn't want to drown it out.

Re the dip it might be a bit more apparent to me, as my other car is just giving me a solid sock in the back as the turbo wakes up at the same rpm, but both engines are great in their own way.

Jon
I would say that the exhaust note "fills in" the back of my ears .... so that it "becomes one" with the sound generator in the front, which makes pleasing music to my ears.

However, if I had to pick "one", I'd say the exhaust note is a bit louder.

I'm going to try the old NC trick and apply some dynamat to the bottom of the trunk, to help the sound generator become more equal. I ordered it on line (big sale at BestBuy), so I'll post the results (or lack of) when it arrives and I get it installed.

humfrz
Old 11-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #117
Winjr

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
When you get over 4,000 rpm's you'll appreciate how much quieter it is in the cabin.
Absolutely. Before I plugged the tube, cabin sound told me when to shift from 5th to 6th. Now I actually have to look at the tach.
Winjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #118
Winjr

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So many mods, large and small; such a difficult choice.

I'll go with the Milltek resonated catback.
Winjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #119
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Just got OEM trunk liner, now need to find something to put in trunk...
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #120
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
Just got OEM trunk liner, now need to find something to put in trunk...
Lets see, New York .... winter time .... snow ..... RWD car ..... ahhhhh..... how about, a windshield scraper, a bag of sand, a bag of salt, a set of cable chains, a folding shovel, a pair of gloves, a winter hat and a small flask of whisky ..... ??

Winter is no fun for driving .....

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #121
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Lets see, New York .... winter time .... snow ..... RWD car ..... ahhhhh..... how about, a windshield scraper, a bag of sand, a bag of salt, a set of cable chains, a folding shovel, a pair of gloves, a winter hat and a small flask of whisky ..... ??

humfrz
I keep most of that stuff in the glove box

No need the snow gear since I am lucky to be able to borrow a car for snow days. Maybe in the future though.
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #122
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
FA20s P3 Guage is now one of my favorite little items. Here's some info, pics and vid.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=103
Old 11-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #123
sierra

Drives: Skoda Yeti DSG diesel 4x4
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I would say that the exhaust note "fills in" the back of my ears .... so that it "becomes one" with the sound generator in the front, which makes pleasing music to my ears.

I'm going to try the old NC trick and apply some dynamat to the bottom of the trunk, to help the sound generator become more equal. I ordered it on line (big sale at BestBuy), so I'll post the results (or lack of) when it arrives and I get it installed.

humfrz
I lay a folded doona[bed cover] in the boot[trunk] and the balance of intake to exhaust at full song is perfect. The Nameless axleback harmonises with the intake so that it sounds like a race car inside but outside it just sounds sweet and less dramatic.
sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sierra For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #124
jonboy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
I lay a folded doona[bed cover] in the boot[trunk] and the balance of intake to exhaust at full song is perfect. The Nameless axleback harmonises with the intake so that it sounds like a race car inside but outside it just sounds sweet and less dramatic.
Quote:

humfrz
You two are not helping me save my dollars here. May have to get the wallet out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winjr View Post
Absolutely. Before I plugged the tube, cabin sound told me when to shift from 5th to 6th. Now I actually have to look at the tach.
I don't understand this - how is that a good thing?

Quote:

humfrz
Are you kidding me?? Have you put any winter tyres on it yet? I got my set on a week ago and the first day it snowed here I had so much fun I almost wet myself, and it wasn't wee. This car is AWESOME in the snow (with the right tyres). they might not be the cheapest mod but they make the car safer throughout winter and an absolute riot when you want it to be (and just as hilarious if you stay below about 30km/h too).
Old 11-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #125
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
havent done much yet but itll probably end up being the front pipe (if i get a more defined exhaust sound) or Rexpeed wide mirrors (I hate the blind spots).
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
m.wood0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #126
humfrz

Quote:
..........Are you kidding me?? Have you put any winter tyres on it yet? I got my set on a week ago and the first day it snowed here I had so much fun I almost wet myself, and it wasn't wee. This car is AWESOME in the snow (with the right tyres). they might not be the cheapest mod but they make the car safer throughout winter and an absolute riot when you want it to be (and just as hilarious if you stay below about 30km/h too).
Yep, I put my winter tires (A/S with some snow grip - we shall see about that) on a couple weeks ago. I usually wait till I can't get the car out of the driveway .....

Well, about having "fun" driving in the snow ..... the older I get .... the more chicken I get that way .....

humfrz