follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 12-10-2018, 08:06 PM   #71
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Been googling, 4 pot was released here, 718.

Nice bit of kit, 600kg heavier than the Elise.

This 17 model with about 1k km was around 150k$, sadly its PDK (Although I'm getting older and those PDK boxes are sweeet). Simular colour to my 86's Solar Orange as well, the missus wouldn't notice the change, maybe....

Would make a better daily than an Elise, if that's a concern.

I would still go the Elise..... maybe....
Attached Images

86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:52 PM   #72
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Fair call

When I got rid of my 2015 STI (I found I didn't like the AWD experience) I went looking for something like my old NB because it was awesome.

I wasn't a fan of the look of the ND though, plus I needed a little more storage space (back seat??) inside than what the MX5 had.

The 86 fit the bill perfectly with the benifit of a hard top (my NB had a removable hard top) and a drop down back seat for putting stuff.

We don't see alot of Caymans here, maybe because they cost 200k new, plus the only cars I've seen here are 6 cyl.

Not sure if a 4 pot was released here???

Yes they are a much better car than a twin, but cost a bomb.

Hence why I chose the Lotus, yes I would be sacrificing interior storage space, and yes, as you pointed out it is supercharged not NA.

New Lotus only costs 100k.

Here in Australia there isn't alot to choose from when comparing a typical car to a twin.

Me, I'm still keeping my 86 for a few more years at least, lets see whats new then, if available, it will be RWD 4cyl manual little coupe.

With Toyota having liaisons with BMW now, the Toyobaru marriage may be coming to a close, leaving the gap in the market for something else.

Maybe
Quote:

This 17 model with about 1k km was around 150k$, sadly its PDK (Although I'm getting older and those PDK boxes are sweeet). Simular colour to my 86's Solar Orange as well, the missus wouldn't notice the change, maybe....

the cayman is about the same weight as the brz. i think the miata is so good because even if it isnt quite as much fun as a brz or elise, the fun to be had is way more accessible. ive had a ton of miatas and i currently own a brz and an elise and the elise is a ton of work to enjoy. ive daily driven my track prepped with standalones, coilovers and door bars and it was a lot easier to deal with than the lotus. add to that the fact that its a fragile aluminum and fiberglass body and its really hard to enjoy that on a regular basis imo.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #73
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I'd go older Elise/Exige..but even then it'd be a weekend car.
Its just way too compromised (in turn its just way too raw) to be a daily driver.

Tiny as hell, barely any creature comforts, stiff as a rock, better engine though (1.8L 2ZZ-GE!...later ones dropped that engine and went with a supercharged 1.8L 2ZR or 1ZZ, and even the most recent ones went with a 3.5L V6)

Toyota owns like a 15% stake in Subaru so even if a collaboration car (in tis case the 86/BRZ) ends they can still go to Subaru for any type of project if they wanted to.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #74
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
the cayman is about the same weight as the brz. i think the miata is so good because even if it isnt quite as much fun as a brz or elise, the fun to be had is way more accessible. ive had a ton of miatas and i currently own a brz and an elise and the elise is a ton of work to enjoy. ive daily driven my track prepped with standalones, coilovers and door bars and it was a lot easier to deal with than the lotus. add to that the fact that its a fragile aluminum and fiberglass body and its really hard to enjoy that on a regular basis imo.
Much of this conversation of what would make a good "daily driver" depends on some very specific conditions. Any car can be a good daily driver if you live someplace with reasonably consistent good weather and if your daily drive is not overly long or hard on a car.
The Cayman was actually on my short list (I have a family connection that meant I could get one "cheap") but was ruled out rather quickly when looked at realistically. At the time I drove almost 50,000 miles a year on very busy highways, all year round. To buy a Cayman (Lotus is not an option here) or any other high end car would mean I would lose a very large sum of money in a very short time. Sure I could store it in the winter and drive a beater but in my mind that defeats the whole purpose of owning a nice driving car. It came down to knowing that through the amount and type of daily driving I did I would destroy a $30K car instead of a $100K one and that was a no brainer to me.
So when people speak of "daily driving" the whole picture needs to be considered not just what cars are great to drive.
bcj (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 11:33 AM   #75
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Much of this conversation of what would make a good "daily driver" depends on some very specific conditions. Any car can be a good daily driver if you live someplace with reasonably consistent good weather and if your daily drive is not overly long or hard on a car.
The Cayman was actually on my short list (I have a family connection that meant I could get one "cheap") but was ruled out rather quickly when looked at realistically. At the time I drove almost 50,000 miles a year on very busy highways, all year round. To buy a Cayman (Lotus is not an option here) or any other high end car would mean I would lose a very large sum of money in a very short time. Sure I could store it in the winter and drive a beater but in my mind that defeats the whole purpose of owning a nice driving car. It came down to knowing that through the amount and type of daily driving I did I would destroy a $30K car instead of a $100K one and that was a no brainer to me.
So when people speak of "daily driving" the whole picture needs to be considered not just what cars are great to drive.
A lot of that makes sense but I don't know if I agree that any car can be a good daily. I mean, I guess some people could want a certain car despite its flaws but I'm a relatively young person who lives in Southern California about a mile from some real decent canyon roads. From a financial perspective I am definitely on board though.
Tcoat (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 02:14 PM   #76
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,204 Times in 8,592 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
I'd go older Elise/Exige..but even then it'd be a weekend car.
Its just way too compromised (in turn its just way too raw) to be a daily driver.

Tiny as hell, barely any creature comforts, stiff as a rock, better engine though (1.8L 2ZZ-GE!...later ones dropped that engine and went with a supercharged 1.8L 2ZR or 1ZZ, and even the most recent ones went with a 3.5L V6)

Toyota owns like a 15% stake in Subaru so even if a collaboration car (in tis case the 86/BRZ) ends they can still go to Subaru for any type of project if they wanted to.

I daily my Exige all the time.

Every Exige S I've seen has been a supercharged 2zz.

Also, I don't believe any V6 Exige has ever been street legal in North America. They are track only cup cars.

And you are correct, very raw.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #77
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
A lot of that makes sense but I don't know if I agree that any car can be a good daily. I mean, I guess some people could want a certain car despite its flaws but I'm a relatively young person who lives in Southern California about a mile from some real decent canyon roads. From a financial perspective I am definitely on board though.
All goes back to what your personal definition of "Daily Driver" is. From 1997 until 2001 I daily drove a 1958 Ford Custom 300. This was the very base model of car built in 58 and it had power nothing (hell the wipers were vacuum powered). Fine in 1958 but not what most of the driving public would class as a great DD at the turn of the century. I lived a mile from work and the majority of the family driving was done in the wife's car so it was perfectly suited for my needs then. I would be a moron to try and do that now though. The same applies to any other car since it is the individual needs and desires that determines what makes a good DD not any certain set of specs.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:49 PM   #78
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I daily drove my stripped NB MX5 club car for a few years.

No carpet, sound deadening, aircon, power steering, hard topped, running on fairly stiff track spec coilovers, roll bar with side intrusion, intake to the firewall, headers and a straight through exhaust, no radio and sparco sprint V seats.

That thing made every drive fun, hot yes, noisy yes, but damn fun.

Not so fun drive 800km to and from Queensland a couple of times a year, but when I got where I was going all was good and right in the world.

I forgive the idiosyncrasies/quirks of tight sports cars because I love how they feel, sound and perform.

I gladly sacrifice creature comforts for performance, even in a daily.

Comfortable cars with creature comforts and gadgets are boring shopping trolleys in my "self opinionated" opinion.

Disclaimer: the missus currently drives a Mitsubishi ASX, hate is a strong word, but I really hate having to drive that car.
Attached Images

86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:23 PM   #79
Myuri

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
A Miata is as good.

I drove an NC Miata for 8 years and have driven my FR-S for 5 years.

If I couldn't have my FR-S, I would take my Miata back.

They are similar, but different - both are good cars.

humfrz
Hey you live in the same city I did lol
Myuri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Myuri For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 07:48 PM   #80
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myuri View Post
Hey you live in the same city I did lol
Welcome to ye ol forum -

Yep, and we still drive cows down the main drag on fair day -

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:31 PM   #81
Myuri

Quote:
Welcome to ye ol forum -

Yep, and we still drive cows down the main drag on fair day -

humfrz
The good ole washington state fair lol, Yeah I lived in graham right outside of puyallup but i usually just say puyallup lol or seattle
Old 12-11-2018, 09:22 PM   #82
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myuri View Post
The good ole washington state fair lol, Yeah I lived in graham right outside of puyallup but i usually just say puyallup lol or seattle
As you know, there is a big image difference between Seattle and Graham -

So, you're thinking about a BRZ. If you have any questions, just make a post and ask.

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:27 PM   #83
Myuri

Quote:
As you know, there is a big image difference between Seattle and Graham -

So, you're thinking about a BRZ. If you have any questions, just make a post and ask.

humfrz
Yeah country ass graham thankfully I lived next to the fredmeyer on meridian :P
And yeah i am on the hunt for a 2015-2016 brz or a 16 frs havent decided if im gonna go frs route tho
The Following User Says Thank You to Myuri For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-11-2018)