follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-14-2017, 09:28 PM   #15
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Drives: 2003 (AP1) S2000
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Hmm, i have not pulled di injectors in this car but i was under the inpression that you need to have the same flow numbered di injectors all cylindes ie all number 1 or all 2 or all 3 numbered injectors. Not a mismatched set.

If thats the case that all numbers are same in each cylinder then its possible the di computer doesnt need to know the flow numbers
t
Ah, yes, they are all the same on any given engine, so there are only 3 combinations. Fixed.

There are many ways to displace.

-Spartarus
Spartarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:10 AM   #16
carben100

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartarus View Post
The pipe in that illustration is the same pipe to which I was referring. Yes, it is external. Yes, there's only 1. Sorry, injector cover not valve cover. My bad.
Thanks for clarifying, that's a relief. I'll try to put together a complete list of differences once I have everything sorted out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Hmm, i have not pulled di injectors in this car but i was under the inpression that you need to have the same flow numbered di injectors all cylindes ie all number 1 or all 2 or all 3 numbered injectors. Not a mismatched set.

If thats the case that all numbers are same in each cylinder then its possible the di computer doesnt need to know the flow numbers

Ps looked in service manuals, says use DI injectors with same numbers. In direct injector ecu install remove no memtion of calibrating it or entering flow numbers.

Ive swaped a few engine ecu for people no issues just flashed in the correct engine ecu calibration (you don't rearly need to change vin) no problems with DI ecu or fueling after changing engine ecu.

But safest option would be to keep the di injectors and DI ecu as a set
I just pulled the direct injectors yesterday and they were all the same number. Still replaced them in the same positions on the new motor, no reason not to.
carben100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:51 PM   #17
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Bumping this as I'm piecing an engine together now.

Does it really matter if the IDU matches the ECU? Is the IDU actually matched to a specific set of injector numbers? I have a complete engine which came with the DIs (obviously all the same #) but not an IDU, I got one of those separately. I'd like to completely assemble the engine and not have to swap parts over from my current engine. Swapping the IDU isn't a big deal if it has to match the CPU, but I'd rather not have to disassemble a bunch of stuff to see what the injector numbers are.

BTW if you are swapping an automatic engine maybe the biggest pain is the automatic has an extra coolant pipe on the bottom section where the oil pan is attached, near the water pump. I'm trying to figure out what to do about that now, Subaru does sell the plug used in the MT cars, but you have to get the pressed in fitting out first.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xwd For This Useful Post:
Trust86 (01-29-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #18
SurfAndSand
8SiX

Drives: FRS 10series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Is the exhaust the same on the auto and manual transmissions?
(Can I swap exhaust parts between the two?)
SurfAndSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:37 PM   #19
Trust86

Drives: 2016 Halo FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwd View Post
Bumping this as I'm piecing an engine together now.

Does it really matter if the IDU matches the ECU? Is the IDU actually matched to a specific set of injector numbers? I have a complete engine which came with the DIs (obviously all the same #) but not an IDU, I got one of those separately. I'd like to completely assemble the engine and not have to swap parts over from my current engine. Swapping the IDU isn't a big deal if it has to match the CPU, but I'd rather not have to disassemble a bunch of stuff to see what the injector numbers are.

BTW if you are swapping an automatic engine maybe the biggest pain is the automatic has an extra coolant pipe on the bottom section where the oil pan is attached, near the water pump. I'm trying to figure out what to do about that now, Subaru does sell the plug used in the MT cars, but you have to get the pressed in fitting out first.
Ever figure out a solution with the extra coolant pipe?
Trust86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:28 PM   #20
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfAndSand View Post

Yes, they are the same. However, there can be clearances issues with certain aftermarket exhausts (mainly combo OP/FP) since the AT gives less clearance moving back.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:58 PM   #21
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Yes, they are the same. However, there can be clearances issues with certain aftermarket exhausts (mainly combo OP/FP) since the AT gives less clearance moving back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfAndSand View Post
Yea only certain front pipes have fitment issues (i.e. ones that were developed when the car first came out), or ones like the nameless that have different versions with a Helmholtz resonator.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
SurfAndSand (03-30-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 04:44 PM   #22
drz400dude

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust86 View Post
Ever figure out a solution with the extra coolant pipe?
I know this thread is a little old, but I just went through this myself. On the back of the engine under the intake manifold there is a coolant manifold. Right in the middle on the MT there is a blockoff plate. On the AT there is a nipple to connect a hose. I just ran a hose from the extra coolant line to this nipple. It just bypasses it back into the system. Easier than trying to pull all the stuff out to plug it.
drz400dude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drz400dude For This Useful Post:
Trust86 (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 07:53 AM   #23
Trust86

Drives: 2016 Halo FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Yea turns out there are quite a few differences between the at and mt engines. I just swapped parts over from my mt engine.
Trust86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:43 AM   #24
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz400dude View Post
I know this thread is a little old, but I just went through this myself. On the back of the engine under the intake manifold there is a coolant manifold. Right in the middle on the MT there is a blockoff plate. On the AT there is a nipple to connect a hose. I just ran a hose from the extra coolant line to this nipple. It just bypasses it back into the system. Easier than trying to pull all the stuff out to plug it.
Sorry a little late, but I just cut off the pipe near the block and have a fitting over it, no issues after almost 2k miles. Ideally you would weld it shut. Pulling the pipe fitting out to plug it would be damn near impossible.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:06 AM   #25
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
I've seen dozens of engines replaced, with no regard for DI numbers matching IDU, and have never seen an issue in them.

Disclaimer: it is possible there have been no issues because these swapped engines have kept their bolted on IDU but I can't confirm.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:19 PM   #26
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,309 Times in 996 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Dave-Ror and I just got done doing this...here are the differences that we found:

(1) Coolant crossover pipe (under intake manifold) is different as drz400dude stated above. The AT version has an extra nipple on it that connects to the Transmission oil cooler. We replaced this with a MT Coolant crossover pipe.

(2) Coolant Nipple on upper oil pan (behind the water pump) that feeds the line to the Transmission oil cooler. We plugged this with a rubber cap and clamp. Note: there are also hard coolant lines that run to this fitting that need to be removed and replaced with the parts from the MT motor for the heater core hoses.
Pic of AT lines, MT only has 1

(3) AT Vacuum Pump on the back side of the passenger head. We removed this and installed the MT cam plate. (Note: there are 2 dowel pins pressed into the AT head to align the AT vacuum pump, these have to be removed before the MT cam plate will sit flush. We used the cam plate off the bad MT motor we were replacing.

(4) Oil line that feeds the AT Vacuum Pump on right hand head, we removed this and installed the galley plug bolt out of the bad MT motor we were replacing to block off the open oil galley.

(5) AT cars use a line from the vacuum pump on the back of the passenger side cylinder head to supply vacuum to the brake booster, the MT cars use vacuum created by the intake manifold. You will need to unplug the line fitting on the intake manifold and remove the line from the vacuum pump on the AT motor, swap the line from the MT car in it's place. Note: the plug removed here makes a nice plug to block off the coolant nipple in (2) above. Just be sure to secure it with a clamp.

The MT and AT engines use the same engine wiring harnesses per model year, 2013 harnesses only fit 2013 cars, 2014 harnesses only fit 2014 cars, 2015 harnesses fit everything 2015 and newer. Note: Subaru does sell updated harnesses for the 2013 & 2014 models that require the use of the 2015+ style coil packs.

The 2013-2014 engines use different oil temperature sensors, coolant temperature sensors and coil packs than the 2015 & up engines.

The only thing to be concerned about with the DI numbers is that all 4 installed in the car are the same number (They will be #1, #2 or #3), as long as all 4 are matching you will be good. The IDU doesn't care what number they are as long as they are all the same.

Last edited by Opie; 11-10-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Opie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Opie For This Useful Post:
Compelica (06-09-2021), EndlessAzure (05-17-2023), knucklehead (04-21-2020), mrjj (11-10-2019), new2subaru (11-10-2019), Thefalls (11-11-2019), Ultramaroon (01-20-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 01:44 PM   #27
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Most of this thread seems to relate a AT engine into an MT car. I am the opposite so wanted to post at least one bit that will save some headache.

In regards to the nipple on the upper oil pan that is missing on the MT engine, I replaced the plug in that location with this. Seems to be working fine for now and saved having to chang the oil pan and/or remove the head.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And you have to swap the coolant crossover under the intake manifold. While both the plug and plate are removable the MT crossover has a smaller hole for some reason and the sensor from the AT wont fit. Go figure.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
Old 01-19-2021, 01:49 PM   #28
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
The MT and AT engines use the same engine wiring harnesses per model year, 2013 harnesses only fit 2013 cars, 2014 harnesses only fit 2014 cars, 2015 harnesses fit everything 2015 and newer. Note: Subaru does sell updated harnesses for the 2013 & 2014 models that require the use of the 2015+ style coil packs.

The 2013-2014 engines use different oil temperature sensors, coolant temperature sensors and coil packs than the 2015 & up engines.

The only thing to be concerned about with the DI numbers is that all 4 installed in the car are the same number (They will be #1, #2 or #3), as long as all 4 are matching you will be good. The IDU doesn't care what number they are as long as they are all the same.
I know you guys have done a lot of swaps but are you 100% the harnesses are the same? I was missing at least one connector on the MT harness for the AT it looked like, unless the one I got was hacked. Plus the MT to AT transmission DIY claimed they were different.