follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 04-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #15
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by regandr View Post
I have 50 track days on a '13 BRZ. totally stock car. also 30 yrs. SCCA and PCA race experience. I have done many oil analyses on my cars.
I run exclusively 0W-40 Mobil 1 because it has a synthetic base stock. Most synthetic oils today do NOT come from a synthetic base stock. (check with your oil mfg. if you dont believe me) Change your oil and filter after every other track weekend and you will be fine. High oil temps on the track break down the additives and base stock so do not stretch oil change interval. Most importantly, check oil level after every on track session. FRS and BRZ motors use oil at sustained high RPM.
Hey Don, good to see you on here. @wheelhaus and I have been talking about this recently. He's seeing oil temps on the track no more than 262F, which is quite a bit less that some of the other people here that live at elevations lower than 6,000 feet. We think our oil temps are lower because we're not making the same amount of power up here that others are near sea level. Therefore, our oil analysis might not be quite the same as what others see. Just some food for thought. It's probably not going to make a huge difference, but I think it's something to consider.
When will you be at HPR or Pueblo next?
Pat is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat For This Useful Post:
wheelhaus (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #16
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Hey Don, good to see you on here. @wheelhaus and I have been talking about this recently. He's seeing oil temps on the track no more than 262F, which is quite a bit less that some of the other people here that live at elevations lower than 6,000 feet. We think our oil temps are lower because we're not making the same amount of power up here that others are near sea level. Therefore, our oil analysis might not be quite the same as what others see. Just some food for thought. It's probably not going to make a huge difference, but I think it's something to consider.
When will you be at HPR or Pueblo next?
FYI I'm using a Scangauge II that reads oil temps from the factory sensor location, which IIRC is under the oil filter.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote