follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
Lasse

Drives: Avensis 2.2 diesel
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GT86/FSR/BRZ vs MR2 Spyder

I have to do this thread. And sorry for my bad english.

I'm torned between these two cars. Actually, i love them both. I would like to hear real life stories from MR2 owners (i know here is a few of them) about their cars and life with them. These two cars have similarities which interest me: real sports car-ness, agility, handling, decent performance, not-so-high-maintenance costs, good looking, RWD and so on... I think i can live with MR2 impracticality, cos it would be our second car. Or actually our summer car, we have here winters wich last over 4 months But still, GT86 is a 4 seater coupe so it would be better. We doesn't have kids. At the moment but in the future yes..

Biggest difference is price. GT86 cost here 40.000 euros and MR2 between 10 thousand to 15 thousand. To get GT86 (used one) i have to wait till summer 2014. Then i would have paid off one part of my mortage and saved enough money to have this car with small loan. On the other hand, i would get MR2 for summer '13 and without loan.

So, is GT86/FS-R/BRZ that much better that i would like to pay that extra 15-20 thousand euros? I'm going to get both cars in loong test drive next summer. I hope that it helps me to decide. Worst case scenario is that i want both cars and i live with huge loans I hope not

Your's opinion?

Lasse

Last edited by Lasse; 03-12-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Lasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
MR-S is my emergency back-up plan. With a Celica/Matrix XRS 2ZZ/6spd swap. And a hard top.

If it came factory with the 2ZZGE/6M combo, a hard top and didn't look so damn cute, I wouldn't be on this forum.

Mileage is good, handling is supposed to be superb.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
The fact that I own a MR-Spyder with a hardtop is the reason why I am not howling at the moon over the FR-S and BRZ like most others on the forum. I was very interested in it (and still am) but with ther uncertainty of price and dealer gouging that is already becoming apparent I will be happy to keep the Spyder.

Light weight? Spyder is 2195LB FGT86 was shooting for 2500LB best guess seems to be that they will be around 2700 give or take.

RWD? Yep the Spyder has that plus it is mid engine.

Power? Spyder is 140HP FR-S/BRZ is 200HP. That is a loss for the Spyder but nothing a 2ZZ transplant will not solve

Rear seat? Spyder none. FR-S/BRZ yes but barely.

Cargo space? Well you can take a toothbrush in the Spyder. FR-S/BRZ win!

Handling and brakes? I have seen the FR-S/BRZ up close but no test drive yet so we will see. I will be shocked it it handles as good as the Spyder.

Price? I can buy two used Spyders in excellent condition with low miles (less than 30K) for the price of one FR-S.

All that being said, I still like the FR-S and might buy one if I did not already have my Toy. There is just no way I would commit to buying anything without even knowing what the final price is going to be.
Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
CSSM
Still Dreamin'

Drives: 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
RWD? Yep the Spyder has that plus it is mid engine.
Actually the FR-S/BRZ is a Mid-engine. It is a front mid-engine, but still a mid engine
CSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSSM View Post
Actually the FR-S/BRZ is a Mid-engine. It is a front mid-engine, but still a mid engine
True, but it's barely front mid-ship. The Miata's engine is mounted even further behind the front axle than the FR-S/BRZ, actually.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
Lasse

[QUOTE=Rampage;147228]

Handling and brakes? I have seen the FR-S/BRZ up close but no test drive yet so we will see. I will be shocked it it handles as good as the Spyder.

QUOTE]

Huh? MR2 handles that well?

Lack of cargo space is lil disturbin. Can you make a weekend trip with your wife?
Old 03-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Not really. Compare the engine bays (look at the front of the engine relative to the shock towers) of the FR-S to an S2000 and you will see what a real front mid-engine car is.

S2k the motor is completely behind the front wheels. FR-S, it still pokes out past them.

Because titanium.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Lasse;147262]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post

QUOTE]

Huh? MR2 handles that well?

Lack of cargo space is lil disturbin. Can you make a weekend trip with your wife?
Yeah the Spyder handles like a go kart. I am exaggerating about the lack of storage space (a little). You can put a couple soft overnight bags in the cubbies behind the seats and there is a small amount of storage on top of the spare tire in the front. Hauling anything except my butt is not a consideration for me when buying a sports car.
Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
Lasse

[QUOTE=Rampage;147312]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasse View Post

Yeah the Spyder handles like a go kart. I am exaggerating about the lack of storage space (a little). You can put a couple soft overnight bags in the cubbies behind the seats and there is a small amount of storage on top of the spare tire in the front. Hauling anything except my butt is not a consideration for me when buying a sports car.
Do you get more cargo space if you remove spare tire? Can you use that space? Space isn't my number one concern, but it would be nice if you can make weekend trip with wife
Old 03-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Not really. Compare the engine bays (look at the front of the engine relative to the shock towers) of the FR-S to an S2000 and you will see what a real front mid-engine car is.

S2k the motor is completely behind the front wheels. FR-S, it still pokes out past them.
While that's true, the center line of the FA is behind the axle and I believe the front of the block is too. The timing components, a/c, and others might be in front of the axle though.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
While that's true, the center line of the FA is behind the axle and I believe the front of the block is too. The timing components, a/c, and others might be in front of the axle though.
Keep an eye on where the shock towers are in relation to the engine.

Compare:

FR-S

S2000

Honda is a true FMR car. FR-S/BRZ is an FR car with low polar moment packaging.

Because titanium.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #12
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
the MR-2 isnt practical, and if you do have kids the 86 can tote them around, plus you have a NEW car over a used one and you wont have to worry about fixing anything 2 years after you buy it and when your kids turn 16 you'll have something to give them to drive

the MR-2 is amazing though especially with the 2zz-ge , being the 2zz-ge is more reliable than the 1zz-fe, more powerful and just as fuel efficient

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #13
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
i'm going to go ahead and say it: anyone who tries to compare a "FMR" car to a true MR car has never driven an MR. there's a DRASTIC difference between a 50/50 and 43/57 weight distribution (F/R). there's still a good solid 3 or 4 feet difference in engine placement between front and mid engine.

back to topic...

yes, MR2 spyders do handle that well. even with 140bhp they are TONS of fun; think miata levels of driving enjoyment. i'd love to have a spyder to add to my collection, but there's no way i could justify having that more than the FRS. however, in your situation it's a much more difficult decision to make. honestly can't say without a test drive, but it sounds to me like the GT86 would be the better choice for you. either way let us know what you end up with!
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:52 PM   #14
jcX4ever
X-Lurker

Drives: 2zz MRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Ummm..

They called it FR-S because the engine is in FRONT and it is RWD.

They called it MR-S because the engine is in MID and it is also a RWD

It's like Front RWD -Sport or something or Mid RWD - Sport

just my guess..
jcX4ever is offline   Reply With Quote