follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 07-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
pgeist

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile Today was a good day.. Unichip + Fumoto Install

Waited eagerly for the FedEx guy to arrive today. It felt like Christmas morning.

6 Quarts 0W20, Check
1 Fumoto F108 Drain Valve, Check
1 Unichip EMS + Reflash Cable, Check

Just hit 3,000 miles and it was time to dump the factory oil. Installing the Fumoto drain valve was a breeze. Pictures don't do this little marvel justice. It really is an insanely well built item.

Cranked the OEM drain bolt off, drained it out, and put the Fumoto in. Threads were smooth and then finished tightening it with an adjustable wrench although I hear a 19MM open end will work too.

Topped the car up with just under 5.5 Qts and popped on a new oil filter. Whoever put the filter on the top needs to be awarded a medal

Now on to the Unichip!

Even though the install is very simple I read through everything not wanting to rush it. Hooked up the crank sensor, throttle body sensor, and MAF sensor. All were very easy with the crank sensor being the hardest only because of my big hands getting in the way and the fact that you have to remove a bolt to move the brake booster line out of the way.

Mounted the Unichip onto the included mounting plate and then attached it to the fuse cover. Greased up the connector and in it went. So simple. I thought to myself, damn.. that was easy. Hooked up the A/B map switch and set it to the premium map.

I also purchased the launch control/flatfoot shift mod. Had to run a small cable through the firewall and attach it to one of the clutch sensor wires. Was very simple. I do not have a launch control map loaded yet so I couldn't test it, but it's in.

Ok double checked everything.. time to fire it up!

Started right up with no issues. I have been driving all day and all I can say is that this should have been my first mod all along. Just the immediate change in the cars personality is worth it. It completely smoothed out the power band. Shifts are smooth as butter and WOW there is some good power. It almost makes me forget about the torque dip.. it literally is so smooth in the power delivery.

I'm waiting on access to the map library/reflash software. Guess they just never gave me a login.

I'm anxious to start reflashing maps to try different timings/fuel/launch control RPM's etc.

I went a little zip tie crazy because I didn't want anything to move around at all and I made sure nothing would interfere with the belts. It's not the best looking install but nobody sees my engine bay anyway.

Zeta Stage 2 Drop In + Red Silicone Tubing || Zeta SS Cat Back || DC Sports Cat-Delete Front Pipe || Torque Pro + MiniOBD Bluetooth || Fumoto F-108 Drain Valve || Konig Daylite Gold 17x7 +40 14.2lbs || Anarchy Motive Shift Knob
Future: Catted header, OEM Audio+
pgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pgeist For This Useful Post:
Mike86 (07-13-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
jybrd

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Looks awesome! I am leaning towards doing this myself. I have been torn between this and EcuTek. Glad to hear install was a breeze.
jybrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
pgeist

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jybrd View Post
Looks awesome! I am leaning towards doing this myself. I have been torn between this and EcuTek. Glad to hear install was a breeze.
I researched EcuTek as well before making my decision. Unless you plan to eventually go FI, Unichip should be all you need. It's flexible enough with the reflash cable to suit most bolt ons. Both are good products, but for the price and convenience the Unichip was just the better choice for me.
Zeta Stage 2 Drop In + Red Silicone Tubing || Zeta SS Cat Back || DC Sports Cat-Delete Front Pipe || Torque Pro + MiniOBD Bluetooth || Fumoto F-108 Drain Valve || Konig Daylite Gold 17x7 +40 14.2lbs || Anarchy Motive Shift Knob
Future: Catted header, OEM Audio+
pgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pgeist For This Useful Post:
jybrd (07-16-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
BC-Boy

Drives: 2013 Brz sport-tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgeist View Post
I researched EcuTek as well before making my decision. Unless you plan to eventually go FI, Unichip should be all you need. It's flexible enough with the reflash cable to suit most bolt ons. Both are good products, but for the price and convenience the Unichip was just the better choice for me.
do you have issues when idling ?
BC-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Everyone talks so much crap about piggy back tunes but never have anything to back it up. Anyone heard of burger tuning?! Oh well. I'm contemplating the unichip heavily.
The Racers Line is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Racers Line For This Useful Post:
JPxM0Dz (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #6
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Drives: Lexus IS-F Series 2
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,246 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidownhiller View Post
Everyone talks so much crap about piggy back tunes but never have anything to back it up. Anyone heard of burger tuning?! Oh well. I'm contemplating the unichip heavily.
I use Ecutek currently on my BRZ, but previously ran 2 piggyback systems from RRM on my Lancer.

They work!

I'm going to try out a Unichip soon...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
Rombinhood@OpenFlash

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Unless a piggyback can adjust VVT maps and GDI firing angle, they are leaving a bit of performance on the table. In NA applications where you are literally fighting for every last HP from every angle, remapping the stock ECU has the clear advantage over using a piggyback in my opinion.
Rombinhood@OpenFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rombinhood@OpenFlash For This Useful Post:
EvilBeaverFace (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
troek

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Garage
i think everyone will agree that ecutek is gona get you more power, but at half the price, this is a very attractive option.
troek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troek For This Useful Post:
DoomsdayJesus (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
But I think for about 90% of the current twins owners, the last thing you want to do, is leave evidence on your ecu. These cars are proving to be problematic in the early stages and for some, things need to be reversible. I do agree that unichip won't make the most power. But for the price and reliability, it is quite a deal.
The Racers Line is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Racers Line For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-10-2013), jeffchap (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
But I think for about 90% of the current twins owners, the last thing you want to do, is leave evidence on your ecu. These cars are proving to be problematic in the early stages and for some, things need to be reversible. I do agree that unichip won't make the most power. But for the price and reliability, it is quite a deal.

I think that the majority of problems (Im assuming were talking about injector failures) are due to the OEM tune. Part of the reason for the reflash is that it corrects the faults of the OEM tune, so in theory reflashing is likely the best thing you can do to avoid these faults (aside from just driving below 4K all the time).
Old 09-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by troek View Post
i think everyone will agree that ecutek is gona get you more power, but at half the price, this is a very attractive option.
Yea but Ecutek locks you in and you can't even modify or adjust parameters yourself. That's complete horseshit.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
Rombinhood@OpenFlash

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
There is now an option that does not modify the stock tune file with license data. With the OpenFlash Tablet, you actually read and save your entire 1.3mb rom file when you first plug it it. That file is available to write back to your ecu at any time.
Rombinhood@OpenFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rombinhood@OpenFlash For This Useful Post:
The Racers Line (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I just cancelled my unichip order, despite all the reading I'd done I didn't realize the limitations. It does seem like a really great bargain if you don't want to get into heavy tuning with a shop, but after talking to Bob at Drift Office he recommended using another method for tuning as well.

Unichip certainly still seems like a pretty good option, it's just depending on what you want to accomplish. For people wanting as easy/cheaper tune it seems like a solid way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombinhood@OpenFlash View Post
There is now an option that does not modify the stock tune file with license data. With the OpenFlash Tablet, you actually read and save your entire 1.3mb rom file when you first plug it it. That file is available to write back to your ecu at any time.
So Open Flash wouldn't leave any footprint? I know we can flash back our stock ROM but doesn't it still leave evidence that it's been re-flashed?
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
CajunFRS

Drives: Challenger R/T, CRX SI,
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
^^^^ What he said.
CajunFRS is offline   Reply With Quote