follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 10-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
balance

Drives: 86 & Picanto
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
S2000 or MX-5

One of the FR-S prototype reviews posted here in the forum suggests that the closest rival to the FR-S may be the Mazda MX-5.

It's my personal opinion that the difference between the FR-S and S2000 is smaller than that of the comparo with the MX-5 in terms of lap times.

What do you guys think?

(note: I made a brief excel table showing the hp, tq and gross weight figures for all three cars, but failed to display it here, sorry.)
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Neutral_Eyes
Softparker

Drives: 2002 Mazda Miata
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
They may have only considered new cars currently for sale to be rivals as well.

Everything I've read seems to suggest the FR-S being closer to a slower S2000 than a faster Miata. Both get brushed aside by folks adamant on driving coupes. Hard to tell until I can drive it myself.
Neutral_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
DaveyG
The Goodness

Drives: BRZ Premium manual
Having driven both I bought the s2000. When it came down to it, s2000 was more fun to drive and more room for me to sit. I was crunched in the miata and im only 5'11".
Old 10-30-2011, 03:32 AM   #4
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
since we still dont know much about this car its hard to say but id imagine that since the focus of this car is fun and not fast the miata would make a better comparison. the s2000 just feels a little too precise and its a little too much to really have fun on the streets
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:28 AM   #5
balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral_Eyes View Post
They may have only considered new cars currently for sale to be rivals as well.

Everything I've read seems to suggest the FR-S being closer to a slower S2000 than a faster Miata. Both get brushed aside by folks adamant on driving coupes. Hard to tell until I can drive it myself.
Your explanation about the exclusion of discontinued cars makes sense...Thanks for your insight.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:30 AM   #6
balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyG View Post
Having driven both I bought the s2000. When it came down to it, s2000 was more fun to drive and more room for me to sit. I was crunched in the miata and im only 5'11".
Having driven both I bought the miata. When it came down to it, the miata was a more affordable track car with lower cunsumable costs (e.g., tires, brake pads, etc.) I was also crunched in the miata and I'm only 5'11".
Old 10-31-2011, 02:33 AM   #7
balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
since we still dont know much about this car its hard to say but id imagine that since the focus of this car is fun and not fast the miata would make a better comparison. the s2000 just feels a little too precise and its a little too much to really have fun on the streets
Although I am in total agreement with you, it is my speculation that actual laptime (i.e., road course) comparison would indicate otherwise.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
balance

Now the spec is out!
It appears that the mx-5 will be eaten alive at the track!
The FR-S (the name is my best guess for the scion model) is little down on the power when compared to the S2000, but it's 200lbs lighter than the close rival. I say that it would be a close fight between the two cars especially more on the technical tracks.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:51 PM   #9
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
Now the spec is out!
It appears that the mx-5 will be eaten alive at the track!
The FR-S (the name is my best guess for the scion model) is little down on the power when compared to the S2000, but it's 200lbs lighter than the close rival. I say that it would be a close fight between the two cars especially more on the technical tracks.
i hate to sound like a miata fanboy but really? it has almost 30 more hp and a couple hunred more pounds. stock for stock the tires on the ft seem to be a huge letdown if you talk about track time and if you decide to get all this aftermarket nonsense involved we dont know how much rubber will fit under those fenders but miatas can take more than you need at these power points.

that said im exiceted to see an objective comparo
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:49 PM   #10
balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
i hate to sound like a miata fanboy but really? it has almost 30 more hp and a couple hunred more pounds. stock for stock the tires on the ft seem to be a huge letdown if you talk about track time and if you decide to get all this aftermarket nonsense involved we dont know how much rubber will fit under those fenders but miatas can take more than you need at these power points.

that said im exiceted to see an objective comparo
You're absolutely right about the result being largely dependent on the tires each vehicle runs. For the purpose of this discussion, I've assumed the comparable tires being used for these cars.

I also look forward to seeing objective comparos while my gut feeling tells me that the s2000 now has some competition coming from the FR-S.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:01 AM   #11
Type[R]+

Drives: Lexus IS-F
It better be more S2K, less MX5.....
Type[R]+ is offline   Reply With Quote