follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #85
neutral
Drifter-Wannabe

Drives: Firestorm MT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to neutral
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubGUy View Post
At least you weren't this guy.

haha I've seen that one. I would definitely hate to be him. 13 million views even. The horror!

A buddy of mine at work showed me http://wreckedexotics.com this morning to make me feel better. And what do you know, it did make me feel a little better
The Following User Says Thank You to neutral For This Useful Post:
Prava (06-16-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #86
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Neutral - just so you and all other front wheel drivers out there understand what happened - oversteer. Mid turn, a FWD car will understeer if you hit the gas - this causes the car to turn wide and is as easy to recover from as getting back off the gas.

In RWD giving it gas mid turn results in oversteer. This means the back of the car swings around fast. The proper technique is to turn the wheel INTO the skid - which in a right hand turn means turning the wheel to the left. Lifting off the gas alone doesn't get you out of trouble.

In ANY car, you always point the wheels in the direction you want to go.

People should learn how RWD works in a safe controlled environment before trying it on the roads.

There was an accident last week where a new Mustang GT did the same thing - turned traction control off and nailed the gas. At 85mph he hit a tree.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ashtray For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-16-2012), Guff (06-16-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #87
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
haha I've seen that one. I would definitely hate to be him. 13 million views even. The horror!

A buddy of mine at work showed me http://wreckedexotics.com this morning to make me feel better. And what do you know, it did make me feel a little better
That's cause it was shown on various sites like Yahoo and Autoblog, which get a lot of traffic.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #88
neutral
Drifter-Wannabe

Drives: Firestorm MT FR-S
Send a message via AIM to neutral
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
Neutral - just so you and all other front wheel drivers out there understand what happened - oversteer. Mid turn, a FWD car will understeer if you hit the gas - this causes the car to turn wide and is as easy to recover from as getting back off the gas.

In RWD giving it gas mid turn results in oversteer. This means the back of the car swings around fast. The proper technique is to turn the wheel INTO the skid - which in a right hand turn means turning the wheel to the left. Lifting off the gas alone doesn't get you out of trouble.

In ANY car, you always point the wheels in the direction you want to go.

People should learn how RWD works in a safe controlled environment before trying it on the roads.

There was an accident last week where a new Mustang GT did the same thing - turned traction control off and nailed the gas. At 85mph he hit a tree.
What I learned is that knowledge cannot replace experience. I've seen tons of videos of people drifting from the inside of the car, read up on driving technique, etc. The suddenness and intensity of that oversteer caught me completely off guard. I've experienced and recovered from snap oversteer in my CRX. That was not even close to the feeling of RWD oversteer. I got my butt handed to me faster than I knew how to process.

So yeah, like you said, learn the car in a safe environment. All the books in the world can't replace time behind the wheel.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #89
catharsis

Drives: honda civic si 08
The important thing is that you made it out alive. Some of us needs a stupid wreck to teach us a lesson. That's why I always advise to take it to the track.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catharsis For This Useful Post:
Guff (06-16-2012), neutral (06-16-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #90
Napoleon

Drives: BRZ WRB Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I can't even describe to you the feeling of seeing it like that. I just wanted to cry.
The most important thing is that both you and your passenger are safe. When I first saw the pictures during the start of this thread, I could not begin to imagine the owner's emotion at that very moment. I am glad you have not given up on the FRS, and I hope you can get another one again if your car is unrepairable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Napoleon For This Useful Post:
neutral (06-16-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #91
Dionysus

Drives: 2003 Honda Civic LX Beater Edition
Hear that sound? It's all of our insurance premiums going up..
Old 06-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #92
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Yeah, it can happen QUICK! Sometimes you need full opposite lock instantly and still can't recover. (I cut my teeth on a RWD 70s sedan as my first car, then a RWD pick up as my next one - and this was in NJ where we got a lot of snow and rain. Neither vehicle had traction control or stability control or even abs.)

Btw - for anyone wondering, leaving all the nannies on, you can still get the back end loose! I tried it on some twisties and sure enough hitting the gas mid corner the back end started to lose traction. It's not as invasive as the BMWs I've driven.

Before buying the car, and coming from a Miata with no traction or stability control, I thought I'd leave it in sport mode to allow the back end to rotate better - but the rear rotates just fine with all nannies on - for street driving at least. If you want to hug a cone with a 180 on autoX, then you'd want to turn the systems off.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #93
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Another case of SNAP OVERSTEER... happened to me once, scary shit lol. But it was in my FWD...
Old 06-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #94
86boyAF1

Drives: 1JZ-GTE Toyota Mark II, Toyota bB
Don't worry about it, man. If it makes you feel better, your car would fit right in with most of the drift cars here in Okinawa now. Just get some zip ties. A lot of zip ties.

The only thing you can do now is use the experience of your mistake positively. It has surely made you a better person.
The Following User Says Thank You to 86boyAF1 For This Useful Post:
neutral (06-16-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #95
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
lol, well, they did feature you on the front page now.

It sucks, but oh well. Learn from it and move forward. Also, prime candidate for BRZ or JDM headlight swap now if the car is repairable!

Also also, I did chuckle a little bit when I saw the bit about turning off traction control, not laughing at you though. Over at GenCoupe almost every accident started with "traction control was off." It's almost always the first question that is asked when someone is in a wreck now, but so many people swear that it interferes too much to drive the car on public roads/can't drive with it on/whatever.

Be safe out there and glad you're alright. Cars are replaceable, humans aren't.
The Following User Says Thank You to n2oinferno For This Useful Post:
neutral (06-16-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #96
jordydiaz

Drives: Lexus IS300
fuck fuck fuck!! it hurts, poor frs
Old 06-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #97
mkxr

Drives: honda fit
Neutral - glad to hear that you and your passenger are ok, as that is the most important thing. It's also great that you're sharing your story, because we can hope that others will avoid similar situations.
Now I understand why you have to sign a waiver at a dealership to never turn off the traction control when taking one for a test drive.

Note to Scion - How about free handling lessons to FR-S owners? hmm, call it Scion Car Control Clinic?

I have autocrossed for many years, and I can attest to the fact that once you figure out how to control your car on the course and put down some reasonable times, you don't feel like you have to prove anything on the streets. And the beauty of autocrossing (in a reputable club that is), is that it also bring a lot of knowledgeable drivers that will gladly offer their assistance.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mkxr For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-16-2012), HotLeopardMama (06-16-2012), neutral (06-16-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 11:51 PM   #98
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Sin, first stone, blah, blah...

I've paid a smaller price for stupidity. Bent control arms. Twice. Two different cars.

As long as you learn, that's life. (Took me twice...)

Because titanium.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
blur (06-16-2012), neutral (06-16-2012)

Closed Thread