follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 08-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #43
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
^ I haven't sat in an VIII or IX in a while, but the Evo X seating is really high. And there is no height adjustment.
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:42 AM   #44
Honesty
Heavy Metal Pool Party

Drives: 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Damn. I was hoping it was more like a DSM or 3KGT than an SUV.
Honesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #45
Ironsquid
King of Kiwi Palace

Drives: Faster than you
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4evah View Post
You might want to start with the correct numbers. The Evo X GSR makes 291hp, and 300lb/ft of torque, that's more than double the FR-S. It's NOT peaky power either, it makes over 85% of it's peak torque from 3000-6000RPMs, and peak HP is at 6500RPMs. Boost tapers off, but power does not, because the RPMs are rising.

Anyway, to use your own math:

Evo X
3515lbs / by 291hp = 12.07 lbs per hp

FR-S
2758lbs / by 200hp = 13.79 lbs per hp

To match the Evo X in lbs/hp, the FR-S would need another 30hp, but when did we start talking about mods? For $400 you can tune a completely stock Evo X for another 50hp, no parts needed... let's not go there.

I won't argue with you that they're close, but the power/weight in the FR-S is still just 87% of the Evo X. For $1500 you could probably get make that difference up, no argument there, and still spend a lot less than the Evo X is new. I'm only saying they're not equal...

And with all that said, I'm pretty close to selling the Evo X to buy an FR-S. And I am pretty certain I won't regret it.
Sorry was using the JDM spec hp. I just don't see the point when I say they're close why that makes people think I said exact and begin to argue seriously? It's like evos are on some pedestal and nothing comes close or else your lying!!

That's really dumb. My point for showing power to weight math is that people are saying the evo is SO MUCH faster when in reality it's not. Furthermore trap speeds are in no way indicative of actual power to weight. The fact that the trap speed quote had so much deviation how is it even possible to use that as anywhere close to being accurate.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #46
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honesty View Post
I've driven a stock Evo IX and it didn't really blow me away. Granted, they respond better to mods than almost any car on the market, and I know they can be insane performance machines, but compared to a 2006 STi I drove, I'd pick the STi, stock vs stock.
That's weird. I've driven numerous examples of both, and the STI understeers a lot, in comparison. That's not to take away from it, it's a great car, but like I said you're not going to see it in any Best Handling Car competitions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironsquid View Post
That's really dumb. My point for showing power to weight math is that people are saying the evo is SO MUCH faster when in reality it's not. Furthermore trap speeds are in no way indicative of actual power to weight. The fact that the trap speed quote had so much deviation how is it even possible to use that as anywhere close to being accurate.
I'm not trying to be a fanboy, but what in your opinion would constitute a car being "so much faster" or not? I don't want to play the numbers game but the performance specs and lap times of the two cars are likely going to be very different... even though the satisfaction from behind the wheel will be above average for either car.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #47
Honesty
Heavy Metal Pool Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
That's weird. I've driven numerous examples of both, and the STI understeers a lot, in comparison. That's not to take away from it, it's a great car, but like I said you're not going to see it in any Best Handling Car competitions.

I'm not trying to be a fanboy, but what in your opinion would constitute a car being "so much faster" or not? I don't want to play the numbers game but the performance specs and lap times of the two cars are likely going to be very different... even though the satisfaction from behind the wheel will be above average for either car.
I'll definitely give you understeer in the STi, moreso than the Evo. The engine is mounted further forward in the STi, being longitudinal, so it's got that extra front overhang that causes pretty unappealing turn-in understeer.

But to me it felt a little more solid, a little less cheap, and you could feel the bigger engine at play there. I think for a race car, I'd take the Evo, but for a DD or racy street car, I'd have to go STi. Stuff like exhaust note and power curve and interior quality push me toward the STi, even knowing the Evo will outperform it when the mods start rolling in. The Evo's power was pretty far up top and the turbo lagged a little bit more than I'd want. Granted they both have some lag, and they have great power/torque, the Evo's was always a little harder to reach.

Stock vs stock these cars are basically identical in terms of end-of-the-day track figures imo. At least they're as close as it gets, depending on which has the better tires that day (Evo comes with some pretty nutso summer treads).
Old 09-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #48
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honesty View Post
I'll definitely give you understeer in the STi, moreso than the Evo. The engine is mounted further forward in the STi, being longitudinal, so it's got that extra front overhang that causes pretty unappealing turn-in understeer.

But to me it felt a little more solid, a little less cheap, and you could feel the bigger engine at play there. I think for a race car, I'd take the Evo, but for a DD or racy street car, I'd have to go STi. Stuff like exhaust note and power curve and interior quality push me toward the STi, even knowing the Evo will outperform it when the mods start rolling in. The Evo's power was pretty far up top and the turbo lagged a little bit more than I'd want. Granted they both have some lag, and they have great power/torque, the Evo's was always a little harder to reach.

Stock vs stock these cars are basically identical in terms of end-of-the-day track figures imo. At least they're as close as it gets, depending on which has the better tires that day (Evo comes with some pretty nutso summer treads).
I agree with a lot of that, even though my personal preference was to get the opposite car (which I've owned two of). It's interesting how similar the cars are on paper in terms of their actual specs and performance specs, yet the driving experiences are very different. Some people love the stronger bottom-end torque of the STI, and some people love the better top-end power of the Evo. I actually have more close friends with STIs than Evos (not counting random people who I've met at meets and know them by their usernames), and we can go on all day long about it.

The interior of the STI definitely "looks" better, but a lot of the important stuff that you touch on a constant basis has a slight edge in the Evo, from the steering wheel (pretty similar though) to the seats (far superior) to the shifter (which felt a bit better, as the STI's shifter always felt "loose" to me). But again, the rest of the interior can be an eyesore at times. I remember when I got my first Evo in early 2006, I took a girl to the movies, and the first thing she asked was, "If this is a new car, how come this part [pointing at the head unit and HVAC] looks like that?" As much as I could justify it to myself, I knew that it wouldn't matter to her. But she did like the seats though!
Old 09-05-2012, 02:11 AM   #49
srt4evah
Initial G

Drives: 13 FR-S, 15 BMW 228i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you, that's all I'm trying to say. "close" is a subjective measure of course, but to me, that means fractions of a second, or that either car could win in any given situation, all things being equal. That's not the case, the Evo is faster in any race situation or condition.

And trap speeds ARE the definitive measure of power to weight, short of an actual dyno. The fact that they vary has more to do with specific power available under various weather conditions, but the variance over a large sample will be consistent and give you the consistent view of what the power to weight ratio in fact is.
srt4evah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #50
Honesty
Heavy Metal Pool Party

Quote:
I agree with a lot of that, even though my personal preference was to get the opposite car (which I've owned two of). It's interesting how similar the cars are on paper in terms of their actual specs and performance specs, yet the driving experiences are very different. Some people love the stronger bottom-end torque of the STI, and some people love the better top-end power of the Evo. I actually have more close friends with STIs than Evos (not counting random people who I've met at meets and know them by their usernames), and we can go on all day long about it.

The interior of the STI definitely "looks" better, but a lot of the important stuff that you touch on a constant basis has a slight edge in the Evo, from the steering wheel (pretty similar though) to the seats (far superior) to the shifter (which felt a bit better, as the STI's shifter always felt "loose" to me). But again, the rest of the interior can be an eyesore at times. I remember when I got my first Evo in early 2006, I took a girl to the movies, and the first thing she asked was, "If this is a new car, how come this part [pointing at the head unit and HVAC] looks like that?" As much as I could justify it to myself, I knew that it wouldn't matter to her. But she did like the seats though!
lol

She probably liked the boost too.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #51
EvoXDD
Trident Motorsports Owner

Drives: DGM. DD for my EvoX
Garage
wow this has spun way out of control. I am not even going to comment on ALL the things that have been discussed but there is a lot of false info on evo's being thrown out there. i would like to keep this thread to the simple start that i had it on or ask the monitors to just lock it before someone gets beat up over the internet lol
Old 09-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #52
gily25

Drives: Silica BRZ 6MT
Quote:
But with the X, I think that from certain angles you won't immediately notice the difference between an Evo and the standard Lancer trim levels in motion (especially since the standard Evo GSRs all had that same tiny wing available on the Lancers) unless you're either really looking at it or you just know Mitsubishis.
I totally agree with this...Last year we traded the wife's 03 Evo in on an 11 GTS model. The loss of power and handling was noticeable but MPG was more of a factor and side by side they look so similar it just made sense to save money. She says it's sporty enough for her...but I did recently discover a picture of the BRZ as the wall paper on her phone, need to start hiding my keys.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #53
sofrsnsokleen
GEARS!!???

Drives: raven black 2013 scion fr-s
Location: the southeast side of san antonio, where the players play!
I never owned or driven an evo,but when researching, the evo x interior still seems only slightly better than the frs, which made my decision easier. Now that i've had the frs for a month, the best description is the frs/brz is a poor mans lotus. It handles that good
sofrsnsokleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #54
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
I totally agree with this...Last year we traded the wife's 03 Evo in on an 11 GTS model. The loss of power and handling was noticeable but MPG was more of a factor and side by side they look so similar it just made sense to save money. She says it's sporty enough for her...but I did recently discover a picture of the BRZ as the wall paper on her phone, need to start hiding my keys.
Any particular reason behind trading in the 2003 Evo for a 2011 GTS? Or was it just time for a new car?
Old 09-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #55
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofrsnsokleen View Post
I never owned or driven an evo,but when researching, the evo x interior still seems only slightly better than the frs, which made my decision easier. Now that i've had the frs for a month, the best description is the frs/brz is a poor mans lotus. It handles that good
I will say that the interior of the BRZ Limited is more upscale than even the Evo X MR Touring's interior, which is pretty decent in itself with it being all-leather, but again, everything else looks nicer in the BRZ. But when talking about the BRZ Premium (and FR-S, since the interiors are nearly identical), then the Evo X has the edge.

However, the leather/alcantara material used in the Evo X MR (non-Touring) is mediocre and was a step down from the leather/alcantara used in the Evo IX. It's a trend between the two... from the wing no longer being carbon fiber to the interior being better looking than before but using cheaper materials all around, particularly on the steering wheel, seats and even the shift boot.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #56
Whiteout Willow

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013 Whiteout
I AM HERE & it is awesome

Well ppl 09.18.12 was the day i drove off the lot with this menacing
sick a** lil puppy.

What a tornado of a week it has been, provking folks , attracting babes and praying i dont get pulled over.

I Have eneded my love affair with Acura and feel right at home..

Great to be here !
Whiteout Willow is offline   Reply With Quote