follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 03:14 PM   #60831
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
Yeah, it wouldn't be a stock one. It would be restomodded.
It would definitely be a good candidate for that assuming you are upgrading the drive train and suspension to match, or the one you are buying already done has that. I'd personally want an early model (I think pre '74) before they added the huge 5MPH bumpers to it.

When searching for a green one that matched my Uncle's I found this restomod. I'd want something like this, maybe without the side stripes. @Tcoat might even approve the color.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Nevermore (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 03:42 PM   #60832
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
It would definitely be a good candidate for that assuming you are upgrading the drive train and suspension to match, or the one you are buying already done has that. I'd personally want an early model (I think pre '74) before they added the huge 5MPH bumpers to it.

When searching for a green one that matched my Uncle's I found this restomod. I'd want something like this, maybe without the side stripes. @Tcoat might even approve the color.

Haha I know exactly where you found that one too. I've seen it a few times now. I love how it's basically a baby Boss.

(And yeah, death to all bumpers. Shaved ftw!)
Old 09-19-2019, 03:47 PM   #60833
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Your guys' opinion of the Ford Maverick?
Quote:
I never drove one (legally anyway) but my favorite Uncle had one that he let me drive on our dirt road. He drove it for about 200,000 miles as I recall until someone ran into him and (really) totaled it.

In the end its the 70's equivalent of a basic econo-car. Nothing awful but nothing special either. (ADDED: Of course it is very upgradeable so it could make a project sleeper car)

It looked exactly like this one found randomly on the Internet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
Following up on @Dadhawk

they are the late 70s into 80s econoboxes

but also highly upgradable. Like the Dart/Duster/ X chassis Nova they are starting to creep up on price cause they are somewhat desirable in the right fit.

Sung Kang made one for the reason of being ford backed with his students. But it really sorta gave the mav a boost in hype it needed.

So the follow up question is... what has you looking at Mavericks?
Quote:
Looks like we got two that like it and one that doesn't. Care to elaborate?

Yeah, it wouldn't be a stock one. It would be restomodded.

Just going through my motions again. Still thinking about what car I actually want to pick up and can't decide between being patient and waiting for the right one (which might never happen) or settling on something much more affordable and obtainable. (Restored Mavericks are close to my price range right now, actually)
Quote:

Like the Mustang before it the Maverick was intended to fight the Japanese cheap, light throw away cars of the 70s. It did that job better than history gives it credit for. They made literally millions of the things and they were actually a huge success even if almost forgotten now. There was also the Mercury Comet that although made in smaller numbers were also a success. It was a bit larger but still "small" by the standards then which really hit it off with the American public.

The biggest problem with them wasn't engine or power train but that they were one of the last cars where the body was made almost exclusively of steel recycled from WW2 ships (some which had been underwater for decades), tanks and planes. This means they already had a high level of oxides in the steel and rotted out FAST! Didn't really matter back then since they were always intended to be a three year and throw away car anyway. The Grabber was available with a sprint pack and was easily a contestant in the Pony car wars of the 70s but they made up such a tiny percentage of the Mavericks made that they are now very rare and largely forgotten. The vast majority were six cylinder two door sedans with very little in the way of features. It was one of these very base models that I took my first born home from the hospital in so I have a sentimental attachment to them. I have even had it pop back up on my wish list every now and then when feeling nostalgic.

Contrary to my usual objections to restomodding one of these would be GREAT candidate that I would consider doing myself if I could find one with a good body. Just please don't do it to a rare Grabber trim! If doing a low power mod then it would be reasonably easy using the existing structure. Anything much over about 200HP will require beefing up the whole "frame". I watched a 400HP one twist like a pretzel at the strip once.

My vote:
Clutch Dog (09-19-2019), Dadhawk (09-19-2019), Nevermore (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 03:48 PM   #60834
Tcoat

Quote:
Haha I know exactly where you found that one too. I've seen it a few times now. I love how it's basically a baby Boss.

(And yeah, death to all bumpers. Shaved ftw!)
Ones like that with the pre crash test bumper actually look better with it in place.
Nevermore (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 04:28 PM   #60835
IceFyre13th

Drives: Mazdarati
Thanked 1,369 Times in 675 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
I don't fly very often, but when I have, I fly Dos Equis

That looks better.....lol

p1l0t (09-19-2019), Sapphireho (09-19-2019), soundman98 (09-20-2019), Ultramaroon (09-21-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 06:44 PM   #60836
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
about the Pinto/Vega comments: thats correct

but wasnt the Dart also compared against the maverick and the dart was effectively a "midsize compact"

vs being an import compact beater

ive often thought about the maverick, but like I mentioned getting into one size wise is a question. i know the Mopar A body well and fit in them rather well... Im trying to find a 75 and later Nova in Cali to fit myself into.... for some reason that body style in particular has always stuck with me

that or an 80s/90s 190e cause cosworth but thats another bucket of worms,

I have a saab 97x I own with a 5.3 LM7 and 6l40e and i figure ill drive it to about 200k and when i swap out for a bigger utility vehicle ill take the drive train out and refresh it and put it into something...

dunno maverick or nova or hell id go sacriliage with a dart/duster.

Id really like to find a hang ten duster or something, but id feel bad about chopping it up

same with taking a grabber model mav and turning it into something else.

Now in the far left field is something more ambitious but equaly bizzare and time consuming... swapping a 1950's chevy or mopar truck body onto the saab's frame and keep the V8 and awd system...
Old 09-19-2019, 07:32 PM   #60837
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFyre13th View Post
That looks better.....lol

Lol.

Nah, usually gin&tonic is my flying drink. Don't have to piss like beer.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #60838
Tcoat

Quote:
about the Pinto/Vega comments: thats correct

but wasnt the Dart also compared against the maverick and the dart was effectively a "midsize compact"

vs being an import compact beater

ive often thought about the maverick, but like I mentioned getting into one size wise is a question. i know the Mopar A body well and fit in them rather well... Im trying to find a 75 and later Nova in Cali to fit myself into.... for some reason that body style in particular has always stuck with me

that or an 80s/90s 190e cause cosworth but thats another bucket of worms,

I have a saab 97x I own with a 5.3 LM7 and 6l40e and i figure ill drive it to about 200k and when i swap out for a bigger utility vehicle ill take the drive train out and refresh it and put it into something...

dunno maverick or nova or hell id go sacriliage with a dart/duster.

Id really like to find a hang ten duster or something, but id feel bad about chopping it up

same with taking a grabber model mav and turning it into something else.

Now in the far left field is something more ambitious but equaly bizzare and time consuming... swapping a 1950's chevy or mopar truck body onto the saab's frame and keep the V8 and awd system...
The Dart was a bit longer but about the same width as a Maverick. It was still considered a "compact" of that era though. Considering that a full sized car now can be smaller then the compacts back then it really is all in perspective.
I have been on a on and off quest for a 440 Dart for years now. I would NOT be changing anything on it though. There are loads of surviving base and 270 model Darts out there that would be a great restomod project though.
Clutch Dog (09-19-2019), Dadhawk (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 08:13 PM   #60839
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I like you more and more. Not only do you give really good, concise answers, but you like crazy build ideas too. My friends have entered eye rolling territory for my crazy ideas so I try to keep them to a minimum anymore haha
Old 09-19-2019, 08:30 PM   #60840
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Dammit now I want a Maverick....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (09-19-2019), Nevermore (09-20-2019), soundman98 (09-20-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 08:34 PM   #60841
Tcoat

Quote:
I like you more and more. Not only do you give really good, concise answers, but you like crazy build ideas too. My friends have entered eye rolling territory for my crazy ideas so I try to keep them to a minimum anymore haha
There are crazy build ideas and there are totally impractical build ideas. Fun to dream but if you can't do the work yourself and be prepared to take years to do it then even the most basic build is a dream. It isn't even remotely close to being as simple as dropping a body on a chassis. To pay somebody to do it would likely run $80K at a minimum. Just watch Counting Cars and see what there very basic restomods cost. I have seen their finished products in person and even though they look pretty on the outside and have modern engines they often don't even touch half the car.
Clutch Dog (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 08:45 PM   #60842
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
There are crazy build ideas and there are totally impractical build ideas....
Yea, and if you want to see a realistic depiction of what it costs to do it right watch some of the episdodes of Fantomworks where they go over the bill with the owners at the end. They don't talk dollars typically for labor but they'll give you the shop hours and the parts cost.

Based on what goes on on the shows FantomWorks is one of the few shops I would let touch my "dream" and I'm pretty sure I can't afford them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 08:54 PM   #60843
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,431 Times in 6,147 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Just watched the ISS go by. I wonder how flat earthers explain that away.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:58 PM   #60844
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,431 Times in 6,147 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by korhun View Post
Man.. this is so cool.. I wish my office looked like yours..

Is it this plane?
How can you tell if someone is a pilot? They will be the one telling everyone they are a pilot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-19-2019), p1l0t (09-19-2019)
Closed Thread

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis