follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-04-2019, 08:11 AM   #1
PurpleSpaceShip

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I bought OFT im not looking for massive gains, please guide me

Hi folks,

Im fairly certain these questions pop up here and there and are probably answered millions of times over but i really want to make sure that every detail is according to my own car. so please bear with me,

So first of all i own a 2013 86 (yep, im in Europe)
Had OFT V2 overnighted from japan i mean United states.

My car currently has small diameter perrin cold air intake and perrin cat back exhaust 2.5" unresonated.
I also own 1320 performance headers and an overpipe. they are not installed on a car.

my question: In order to get custom tune for my car; can i bring OFT and the Map files to local tuner? to have him adjust the tune specifically for my car? since OFT is open source he should be able to make fine adjustments here and there. will this be worth it? i recon he will be asking anywhere from 100 to 200 bucks for such a job.

or should i just get of the shelf tune that roughly matches my set up.

Also anyone have catless headers paired with stock midpipe and unresonated perrin 2.5" exhaust? is it loud? does it drone?

I am not looking for massive power gains, i want my car to run right and have a nice power curve peaking at the redline.

Any advice and info is welcome as i don't know jack shit but im super open to learning

Thanks
PurpleSpaceShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:15 AM   #2
Phoenix_gts86

Drives: 2013 MY14 Toyota gts86 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleSpaceShip View Post
Hi folks,

Im fairly certain these questions pop up here and there and are probably answered millions of times over but i really want to make sure that every detail is according to my own car. so please bear with me,

My car currently has small diameter perrin cold air intake and perrin cat back exhaust 2.5" unresonated.

I also own 1320 performance headers and an overpipe. they are not installed on a car.

my question: In order to get custom tune for my car; can i bring OFT and the Map files to local tuner? to have him adjust the tune specifically for my car? since OFT is open source he should be able to make fine adjustments here and there. will this be worth it? i recon he will be asking anywhere from 100 to 200 bucks for such a job.

Also anyone have catless headers paired with stock midpipe and unresonated perrin 2.5" exhaust? is it loud? does it drone?

I am not looking for massive power gains, i want my car to run right and have a nice power curve peaking at the redline.

Any advice and info is welcome as i don't know jack shit but im super open to learning

Thanks

Hey mate, you should get in contact with your local tuner and query him your questions to see if they are able to perform what you want done.

If not run with one of the performance base tunes provided with oft files.. a much cheaper route considering you’re not after massive gains.

Need any help with tuning or oft..ecutek pm me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram: phoenix_gts86
Phoenix_gts86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:53 AM   #3
PurpleSpaceShip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_gts86 View Post
Hey mate, you should get in contact with your local tuner and query him your questions to see if they are able to perform what you want done.

If not run with one of the performance base tunes provided with oft files.. a much cheaper route considering you’re not after massive gains.

Need any help with tuning or oft..ecutek pm me

Thanks for a quick reply brother,
Can you clear these up for me please:
Does OFT v2 allow either "launch control" or the "pop and crackle tune"?
Also what do i need to send you to get a custom tune from you? how do we do business?
Old 09-04-2019, 08:53 AM   #4
Phoenix_gts86

Drives: 2013 MY14 Toyota gts86 Turbo
Quote:
Thanks for a quick reply brother,

Can you clear these up for me please:

Does OFT v2 allow either "launch control" or the "pop and crackle tune"?

Also what do i need to send you to get a custom tune from you? how do we do business?

Can you please pm me and I’ll help you with the rest

Instagram: phoenix_gts86
Phoenix_gts86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #5
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Doesn't really work that way. Best bet is the website below.

http://site.wayneroms.com:8000/
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (09-04-2019), PulsarBeeerz (09-04-2019), Spuds (09-04-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 12:24 PM   #6
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
For now, I would install header, de-install Perrin intake and load an appropriate ots tune. It will make you comfortable with the device and the flashing procedure and you will notice some good gains as well
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:47 PM   #7
PurpleSpaceShip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
For now, I would install header, de-install Perrin intake and load an appropriate ots tune. It will make you comfortable with the device and the flashing procedure and you will notice some good gains as well
is Perrin intake unnecessary with oft tunes or is it flat out dangerous?
Old 09-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #8
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
The MAF scaling with either of the Perrin intakes are really F'd up.

There are some updated MAF scales in this thread:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64790

But it would still need some fine tuning.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:01 PM   #9
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
I guess that very few local tuners may have used OFT for ecu tuning exactly due openness and not being able to lock their work, unlike with ecutek, and in same fashion very few might be willing to spend lot of time learning another toolset in addition to one they are already using, or at least without overcharging way more for that time/extra efforts, making in turn decision to stick with OFT+local tuners more expensive then eg. selling off OFT and buying ecutek license and services of local tuner.

Thus your best bet would be free OTS tunes from OFT, or remote e-tuning by eg. Shiv or already suggested wayne's tunes (later with some logging and choosing better fit tune from offered ones according to results), or slowly learning/familiarizing yourself and optimizing OFT OTS tunes by yourself over large period of time.
Or buy/use ecu tuning solution used by local tuners (most probably ecutek) or buy preadjusted OTS ecutek tune that is adjusted with extra features you wish and is optimized remotely by e-tuning from some non-local but well known tuning shop, eg. delicious tuning.

Though given your setup, of rather generic looking UEL catless header .. i'd probably choose reinstalling stock intake (imho Perrin's intake might throw a lot MAF scaling, messing up with using ecu OTS tunes made with stock intake in mind), and just use free OFT OTS tunes (IIRC stage 2+?). While not giving most gains possible, then again your requirements/expectations are not too excessive, and seems that you already have OFT. This might be quickest/simplest.

Last edited by churchx; 09-04-2019 at 01:11 PM.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:29 PM   #10
Lantanafrs2

Quote:
is Perrin intake unnecessary with oft tunes or is it flat out dangerous?
I've heard that they can be hard to work with when tuning. I wouldn't say they're dangerous, just unnecessary and can skew your results when using other mods
Old 09-05-2019, 08:24 AM   #11
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hi folks,

Thanks

I can sort it for you

Scale intake
Optimise tune
Pops if you want
Alter launch
Quiet start
And more

Message me if interested
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:13 AM   #12
vagthomas

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi folks,

Thanks

What should be clarified here is that each car, believe it or not, is unique. Same tuning in different cars may have completely different results.

Additionally, you should keep in mind the environment and temperatures a car is working. I cannot, lets say, buy a "ready to load" tune form the UK and use it here in Greece, where temperatures are way much higher.

From my experience, even a single replacement of an overpipe alters the exhaust back pressure, therefore air mass flow, such that a re-calibration of MAF was essential.
I have HKS Catted header, AVO overpipe, HKS dual resonated front pipe and TRD Muffler and every time I installed a new component, new tuning was performed to gain most of each component!

My advise is not to use OFT with ready to use programs...how can you know if the MAF calibration is proper? How can you know injection and VVT advance suit yoour invironment? If they dont, performance will decrease and the feel of it will be obvious!

Find a tuner first, someone who is familiar with OFT, to do what is needed. If you cannot find with OFT, then find a tuner and do it with ECUTEK (cost is more like the same - maybe a little more expensice the ECUTEK but not something great).

Just to install all this hardware without proper tuning is "thrown away money"
vagthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #13
Lantanafrs2

Actually you're throwing away a lot of money.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:47 PM   #14
KnightRyderx2

Drives: 2014 FR-S
You guys make this so difficult for the guy. I agree, go back to the stock air box with a performance filter for now and put the header and overpipe on. This will make the off the self tunes easy.

Now load up the appropriate tune according to non-catted/catted header and gas type and have fun with it. See if thats good.

As far as custom tune goes, talk to someone that is familiar with RomRadier, there is a forum see if they have a regional section. Its very commonly used program for tuning so it shouldn't be to hard to find someone. The difference between OFT and EcuTek will be when your on the dyno the tuner will have to log with the OFT then transfer that log file from the OFT to his computer to review. Then he will make the necessary changes then save the file and load it back on the OFT then upload it to the car. With EcuTek the laptop is hooked up directly to the car and the tuner can see the log as it happens on this laptop, just makes things faster. It is also alot more powerful.

You can always do remote tunes with Shiv at OFT. Check out the OFT website for all the details and how to go about it. Basically you pick a stretch of highway, drive, and log a few runs then save that and transfer it from the OFT to your computer and email it. He will make the changes, email it back, and you upload it to your car using the OFT.
KnightRyderx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KnightRyderx2 For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (09-27-2019)