follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 09-08-2019, 12:10 AM   #15
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
At this point, i think I've seen as many "car is dead from broken valve spring" posts as I've seen "car is dead after dealer repair" posts. I bet that's going to go more and more towards the valve spring side in the future.

I also get your frustration. You don't want anybody fucking up your car.

Meanwhile, go talk to Chase at Toyota One of Oakland. Ask him how many failures they had. Ask him about coverage if there's a failure. Ask him about which mechanic will do the repair, and what their experience is.

In the end, you can run without the fix, just paying your fees, and maybe get nailed for tags. Then again, I ran 1.5 years with expired tags recently, because the DMV never accepted proof of insurance. Idiots. Now I have tags again, though. Yay!
Just my observation from down under ,
Three of us bought new 2013 manual ones at about the same time.
One has 25000kms with no valve spring problem and no recall yet.
Another has 60000kms with no valve spring problem and no recall yet.
The third has 45000kms and is for sale after getting the recall challenge attempt.
So how about distance vs failure graphs before and also after recall?
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:27 AM   #16
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
At this point, i think I've seen as many "car is dead from broken valve spring" posts as I've seen "car is dead after dealer repair" posts. I bet that's going to go more and more towards the valve spring side in the future.

I also get your frustration. You don't want anybody fucking up your car.

Meanwhile, go talk to Chase at Toyota One of Oakland. Ask him how many failures they had. Ask him about coverage if there's a failure. Ask him about which mechanic will do the repair, and what their experience is.

In the end, you can run without the fix, just paying your fees, and maybe get nailed for tags. Then again, I ran 1.5 years with expired tags recently, because the DMV never accepted proof of insurance. Idiots. Now I have tags again, though. Yay!
**Warning**

This poster may have been lucky, but this is not advised for the general public. Getting pulled over with tags older than 6 months past due can get your car towed and impounded on the spot.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #17
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Oh, I think I'm just white and middle-aged. I got pulled over with expired tags. The officer didn't even ask for my registration. He just let me go.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-09-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 11:53 PM   #18
SmartedPanda

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited Manual. 2014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think it's considered a safety recall correct?

Scenario, you're going 70MPH and it's ass to mouth traffic as usual. Valve spring goes pop, engine dramatically slows down within a few seconds with little to no acceleration, and the car behind you hits.
[| Blox 490 Knob | Mishimoto Silicon Intake | K&N Filter | DD Always-On DRL | Tomei 60S | Weather Tech | RED USDM TOM's Tail Lights | OEM Underbody Panels | Intec High Mount Brake | RexSpeed Heated Wide Mirrors | TC105N 17x9 | Super Sport 245/40R17 |TRD Quickshifter | Porsche Brake Air Duct | TRD Sliding Armrest| OEM Knee Pads | MTEC Shifter Springs| WRX OEM Oil Cooler| Generic PVC Catch Can|]
SmartedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:43 AM   #19
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartedPanda View Post

Scenario, you're going 70MPH and it's ass to mouth traffic as usual. Valve spring goes pop, engine dramatically slows down within a few seconds with little to no acceleration, and the car behind you hits.
Very well could be considered safety in your example.

OP said he thought his J02 was the reason for the extra emissions requirement for his registration, but that wasn't confirmed by OP or anyone else just yet.

Waiting to see if there is anyone with a more affirmative answer post their opinion or info.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:16 AM   #20
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Very well could be considered safety in your example.

OP said he thought his J02 was the reason for the extra emissions requirement for his registration, but that wasn't confirmed by OP or anyone else just yet.

Waiting to see if there is anyone with a more affirmative answer post their opinion or info.
J02 was classified as emissions for some asanine reason. We knew it was gonna be mandatory, just thought we had more time due to this long delay before reg is actually being held up

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David

Last edited by finch1750; 09-09-2019 at 01:09 PM.
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-09-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 10:13 AM   #21
SmartedPanda

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited Manual. 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
J02 was classified as emissions for some asanine reason. We knew it was gonna be mandatory, just thought we had more time due to this long delay before reg is actually being held up
Got it, and same.
[| Blox 490 Knob | Mishimoto Silicon Intake | K&N Filter | DD Always-On DRL | Tomei 60S | Weather Tech | RED USDM TOM's Tail Lights | OEM Underbody Panels | Intec High Mount Brake | RexSpeed Heated Wide Mirrors | TC105N 17x9 | Super Sport 245/40R17 |TRD Quickshifter | Porsche Brake Air Duct | TRD Sliding Armrest| OEM Knee Pads | MTEC Shifter Springs| WRX OEM Oil Cooler| Generic PVC Catch Can|]
SmartedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #22
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
The point is that this is complete bullshit, because this type of a recall shouldn't be classified as "emissions related". I believe it's some sort of cahoots that the dealers are in with the DMV in order to bring more "business" to both parties.

The fact that this is such a hugely invasive engine out procedure means that it should be up to the discretion of the car owner if they want to have it done or not. I should be able to sign off on a piece of paper that says I choose not to have it done, and therefore if I suffer any engine failure as a result of not doing so I won't hold the dealership accountable.

In no way is this an "emissions related" type of recall. That part if it is complete bullshit and is just a means to attempt to force people to have this fucked up invasive work done to their engine that is completely healthy and in no need of it.

agreed, it is a bunch of horse shit. I'm positive if I didnt get the recall done my car would be fine. I know this dealership is way in LA area but Longo Toyota did mine right, I called and checked they have one of the highest rate of performing J02 recalls in the country and as far as I know have not had any engine failures, so if you haven't gotten it done yet and are close enough I think the risk is big enough to travel to a dealership with a high chance of success. The service advisor named Danny is the dude to talk to.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:24 PM   #23
teetsdownlow

Drives: 2015 FRS
Quote:
The point is that this is complete bullshit, because this type of a recall shouldn't be classified as "emissions related". I believe it's some sort of cahoots that the dealers are in with the DMV in order to bring more "business" to both parties.

The fact that this is such a hugely invasive engine out procedure means that it should be up to the discretion of the car owner if they want to have it done or not. I should be able to sign off on a piece of paper that says I choose not to have it done, and therefore if I suffer any engine failure as a result of not doing so I won't hold the dealership accountable.

In no way is this an "emissions related" type of recall. That part if it is complete bullshit and is just a means to attempt to force people to have this fucked up invasive work done to their engine that is completely healthy and in no need of it.

This is in every way and emissions related recall. If the spring breaks the fuel trims will be all over the place and thus effecting emissions. The DMV won't get any more business from this and I'm positive from a technician standpoint that Subaru/Toyota isn't benefiting from this from a financial standpoint unless the consumer willingly decides to add on additional services (clutch/tob, spark plugs) during the process

Quote:

Think of safety more in the area of air bags (takata) or the safety of life. If you are going 70+ and don't have adequate spacing I'm sure your scenario will occur. For example of a safety recall is when Fiat Chrysler had to install tens of thousands of hitch receivers to block the fuel tank from exploding during an impact. The receivers that they installed aren't even certified for towing to prevent liability. Just to keep the front end of the car to stop from ramming the gas tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
See above

Last edited by teetsdownlow; 09-10-2019 at 02:36 PM.
teetsdownlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teetsdownlow For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #24
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
OP, if I were you I’d get it fixed by a reputable dealership and then sell it right away. I wouldn’t want the potential of failure clouding my mind on the track.

I have 134,000 on my 2013 brz with a build date of 07/13 and I’m keeping this car because I trust this engine more than any other engine Subaru has made. I was not flagged for the J2 recall, but if I had some 20 year old take off the heads and experiment for a fun story to tell his buddies, all that confidence in the engine would be lost so I do understand where you're coming from.

It sucks your track car “soured” but at least you won’t have to worry about this with your future 2015+
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:44 AM   #25
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teetsdownlow View Post
If the spring breaks the fuel trims will be all over the place and thus effecting emissions.
Hahah, what? If the spring breaks, the engine will be in limp mode or completely off, and you'll be on the side of the road not moving.

I don't think anyone will be concerned with the fuel trims at that moment and the resulting air pollution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:16 AM   #26
teetsdownlow

Drives: 2015 FRS
Quote:
Hahah, what? If the spring breaks, the engine will be in limp mode or completely off, and you'll be on the side of the road not moving.

I don't think anyone will be concerned with the fuel trims at that moment and the resulting air pollution.
I have personally experienced many broken valve springs in cars and trucks. You are correct the ECU will put the car into limp mode but more times than not it is still drivable. I'm sure i'm not the only person to see/experience this either.

While I haven't been a resident in California for very long I believe they(EPA/CARB) would be concerned about the resulting air pollution you are emitting from the failed spring. But i'm just speculating as i'm just a tech and not part of the board.

To piggyback off of jsimon my girlfriend drove 3 years on expired tags and was pulled over a couple times and never questioned about expired reg. Risk/reward I suppose but I wouldn't advise it
teetsdownlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:07 AM   #27
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Toyota document from NHTSA website. I feel like CARB figures its something post MAF so gotta be emissions

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David

Last edited by finch1750; 09-11-2019 at 03:17 AM.
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-11-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 08:46 PM   #28
BAT_BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ "sti"
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Alright just got off the phone with the DMV.

I have a MY2013 BRZ that was recalled.
I received my notice of recall at the same time I received my renewal (within 2 weeks).
I just had moved addresses so I filled out my renewal and hoped all would go through without doing the recall.

Nothing came in the mail. Checked my old address, nothing in the mail.
Shit shit shit. Procrastination set in and I did not check on it. Because the money for the renewal was withdrawn from my account (or I cut a check, I cant remember) I thought my registration was good.

So I decided to call the DMV mainly because this post and also because I would like my tags I paid for.... and here's the scoop.

You have to have the recall done before you register your car again.

I was lucky to fall into this window where the DMV wasn't notified of the recall before I got my registration. So I am having replacement tags being sent to me (Or Im going into the DMV and getting them day of). However, when my car goes up for 2021 registration I must have the recall performed otherwise I will not be able to renew my registration. If you have not renewed your car yet, and you got a recall notice, you will need to have the recall done.

My car registration is due before May every year. Just an FYI.
BAT_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BAT_BRZ For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-16-2019), finch1750 (09-17-2019), Lonewolf (11-29-2019)