follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-06-2016, 05:58 PM   #2199
spicyricecake

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Performance Package
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muckypuppy View Post
Yes, I would describe it as more of an extension to the lid than a ducktail spoiler. Here's a pic of it before I got it painted from a different angle.

How did you manage to get just the lip?
spicyricecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:16 PM   #2200
muckypuppy

Drives: MY13 SWP BRZ Cosworth 2.3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyricecake View Post
How did you manage to get just the lip?
A local business bought the full wide body kit for their shop car and decided they wanted to run a more aggressive looking spoiler so they listed it for sale . While everyone was arguing the differences between it and the TRD one online I quietly messaged the seller and jumped in my car and went and took a look at it in person. It covered the holes from the factory one and looked like a good pairing with the STi wing so I grabbed it. Even after paint it still worked out cheaper than any of the quotes I had gotten to have the holes welded and trunk resprayed. Apparently there are only 3 of these kits in Australia at the moment so I was extremely lucky it came up for sale.
muckypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:17 PM   #2201
spicyricecake

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Performance Package
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muckypuppy View Post
A local business bought the full wide body kit for their shop car and decided they wanted to run a more aggressive looking spoiler so they listed it for sale . While everyone was arguing the differences between it and the TRD one online I quietly messaged the seller and jumped in my car and went and took a look at it in person. It covered the holes from the factory one and looked like a good pairing with the STi wing so I grabbed it. Even after paint it still worked out cheaper than any of the quotes I had gotten to have the holes welded and trunk resprayed. Apparently there are only 3 of these kits in Australia at the moment so I was extremely lucky it came up for sale.
Smart man. I finally found a wingless trunk but this would have been what I wanted otherwise. Looks great man!
spicyricecake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spicyricecake For This Useful Post:
muckypuppy (06-06-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 11:03 PM   #2202
kuczynskika

Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Anyone else hurting as much as I am with the USD to yen conversion on Japanparts? Prices for everything are THROUGH THE ROOF!
kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:15 PM   #2203
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczynskika View Post
Anyone else hurting as much as I am with the USD to yen conversion on Japanparts? Prices for everything are THROUGH THE ROOF!

Oh man I was buying all my stuff when it was 1 USD to 125+yen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:19 PM   #2204
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
Oh man I was buying all my stuff when it was 1 USD to 125+yen

Right? For instance, last summer was prime. Now... not so much. Gonna be waiting a while before anything gets imported again.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:26 PM   #2205
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Right? For instance, last summer was prime. Now... not so much. Gonna be waiting a while before anything gets imported again.
Interesting I thought this is only happening to us Canucks cuz the CAD tanked.

Isn't the USD going up in value?

I'm no longer willing to afford any of the stuff I've bought from Japanparts over the last few years if I were to start over now with a new BRZ.

Not sure if it will ever go back to how it was before due to currency wars / going unlimited QE / negative interest rates and how it's not really working out for Japan (their central bank is having problems trying to devalue their currency to favor exports). But you guys should still have the advantage of the petrol dollar for now.

Sorry I just realized this is not Zerohedge's comment section.

Last edited by krayzie; 06-07-2016 at 11:36 PM.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:32 PM   #2206
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Interesting I thought this is only happening to us Canucks cuz the CAD tanked.

Isn't the USD going up in value?
No, its been plummeting.... The conversion rate for USD has really sucked beginning in February and its only gotten worse. Check out the graphs which show the peak around last summer.
The Following User Says Thank You to kuczynskika For This Useful Post:
krayzie (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 11:35 PM   #2207
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have a little query for those that have fitted the STI bracing.

I noticed a pretty incredible improvement in my ride quality when fitting the Strut brace with the car becoming firmer, but also dialling out some of the smaller road bumps and managing larger ones more smoothly.

Since then I have also fitted the TRD door stabilizers and noticed cornering to likewise have sharpened up a little. Overall I'm noticing a pleasant reduction in creaks from the chassis moving round compared to stock. Note its an MY15 on stock suspension, wheels and tires for comparison sake.

What I'm wondering now is whether much difference was felt by those of you that swapped out their factory V-brace for the STI flexible version? Seeing as there already is a factory V-brace in there, its a good chunk of cash replacing an existing part so wanted to be sure it was worth the hassle. I also assume its something you would only bother replacing if you already have or will be using the STI flexible strut brace?

To round things out I'm also looking to install the Flexible Draw Stiffener and would love to hear peoples experiences with that. I assume install was fairly easy like dropping the under panels, fitting and torqueing to spec?
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:32 AM   #2208
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I find it interesting that if the Flexible V-bars are so good on paper, why don't they just make the old Flexible Tower Bar obsolete but yet it's still available for sale?

The Flexible Draw Stiffeners come with limited pictorial install instructions in Japanese. You'll figure it out after staring at it for sometime. Some people mentioned more understeer with them but I don't get that (could be tire choice), I just find the car cornering on rails with them (they are supposed to minimize alignment changes to the front wheels when cornering).

Wouldn't tire choice come into play with all these handling mods? Can't see how the limited grip of the stock tires are able to keep up with all these STI bits.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Mim (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 01:02 AM   #2209
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
No, its been plummeting.... The conversion rate for USD has really sucked beginning in February and its only gotten worse. Check out the graphs which show the peak around last summer.
Its an election year, no surprise the USD is dropping a little. The exchange rate is better than it was prior, but ill be buying my TRD wheel from ft86speedfactory instead of japanparts because of it.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kostamojen For This Useful Post:
kuczynskika (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 02:40 AM   #2210
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
I find it interesting that if the Flexible V-bars are so good on paper, why don't they just make the old Flexible Tower Bar obsolete but yet it's still available for sale?

The Flexible Draw Stiffeners come with limited pictorial install instructions in Japanese. You'll figure it out after staring at it for sometime. Some people mentioned more understeer with them but I don't get that (could be tire choice), I just find the car cornering on rails with them (they are supposed to minimize alignment changes to the front wheels when cornering).

Wouldn't tire choice come into play with all these handling mods? Can't see how the limited grip of the stock tires are able to keep up with all these STI bits.

Tire choice is significant yes. It's why the actual tS is fitted with Michelin PSS at the least. The stock tires would cry haha. With everything on and the PSS my car is completely neutral on turn in which just a little bit oversteer if I choose to induce it. This is with the car in VSC sport.

For me the biggest differences were the strut bar, draw stiffener, and sway bars. The bushings and mounts come after but made its own significant impact

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DSOmegaX For This Useful Post:
krayzie (06-08-2016), Mim (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 03:26 AM   #2211
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Hi Mim, I also have a 2015 car and noticed a very big improvement with the flexible strut tower brace. Maybe after the suspension revision and the updated bolts, the car needed more the tower brace. I believe that you need now better tires and make the rear a bit stiffer. When I installed the strut bar, I noticed sometimes the rear going a bit sidewise. I managed to fix this after installing a bigger bolt and an additional stopper in the rear subframe.

Here are the links:
https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/45368
https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/45367

Now I feel that my car needs a bit of dialing again in the front. Welcome to the tuning world . I believe I'll manage this with the longer steering gear bolts. I haven't installed them yet, but I heard that they make also a bit stiffer the front frame. Not too much, but as I said it doesn't need a lot in front.

Here is the link:
https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/47821

Regarding the flexible draw stiffener, I don't have an experience in the BRZ. However, I installed once a similar component to my Forester and I couldn't tell any difference. I am sure that you will feel an improvement in the BRZ, but not as massive as other parts. For the time being I want to spend my money to other improvements like exhaust etc.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
krayzie (06-08-2016), Mim (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 04:48 AM   #2212
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Hi Mim, I also have a 2015 car and noticed a very big improvement with the flexible strut tower brace. Maybe after the suspension revision and the updated bolts, the car needed more the tower brace. I believe that you need now better tires and make the rear a bit stiffer. When I installed the strut bar, I noticed sometimes the rear going a bit sidewise. I managed to fix this after installing a bigger bolt and an additional stopper in the rear subframe.

Here are the links:
https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/45368
https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/45367

Now I feel that my car needs a bit of dialing again in the front. Welcome to the tuning world . I believe I'll manage this with the longer steering gear bolts. I haven't installed them yet, but I heard that they make also a bit stiffer the front frame. Not too much, but as I said it doesn't need a lot in front.

Here is the link:
https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/47821

Regarding the flexible draw stiffener, I don't have an experience in the BRZ. However, I installed once a similar component to my Forester and I couldn't tell any difference. I am sure that you will feel an improvement in the BRZ, but not as massive as other parts. For the time being I want to spend my money to other improvements like exhaust etc.
This was ridiculously helpful. I was thinking either to get the v-brace and draw stiffener or save longer for some lighter wheels instead. The further complication is I don't want to change the tyres out till they are worn out.

Arrrggg welcome to first world problems.
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
it sucks to be broke, sti omg!