follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 01-06-2015, 08:54 PM   #1
Avion

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6 Speed Auto
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DIY-Sound Deadening on a budget.

When I got my BRZ I enjoyed everything but the noise. At Highway speeds It sounded like I was in a metal can with no sound insulation. The radio had to be cranked up to overcome the noise. Well I have found a way to greatly reduce the noise at a savings compared to the expensive stuff such as Dynamat and others. It's PEEL & SEAL ALUMINUM sold at Lowes for $16.50 a roll. The stuff is 45 mils thick like Dynamat lite. Dynamat Extreme is 60 mils thick.
Anyways, it's easy to apply due to it is only 6 inches wide thus eliminates a lot of trimming. Goes on quick and sticks real good. It took about 5 rolls to do the entire trunk, rear fenders, back seat floor, back seat sides, and both doors.
The results are dramatic at a cost of maybe 20 lbs. The BASS in the front doors is now richer and clearer and less boomy.
Avion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:44 PM   #2
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
This stuff?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326...ductId=1018733
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:45 PM   #3
Porcupint

Drives: 13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Does the car smell like a freshly paved road yet?

Edit: well after reading the reviews, maybe they fixed the fresh paved road smell problem.
Porcupint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
mhughett

Drives: 2015 Crystal White BRZ Limited
Op, please post pictures that show exactly where and how this product was applied. sounds like you had to remove door panels (not sure yet exactly how this is done on the BRZ) and possibly other trim as well. Thanks for the suggestion.
mhughett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:14 PM   #5
Porcupint

Drives: 13 GBS BRZ
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
Op, please post pictures that show exactly where and how this product was applied. sounds like you had to remove door panels (not sure yet exactly how this is done on the BRZ) and possibly other trim as well. Thanks for the suggestion.
Probably just a peal and stick to the bare metal. Will require you to remove the door cards and some interior panels depending on what all you want to cover.
Porcupint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:33 PM   #6
Paiser

Drives: Scion FR-S Monogram (Whiteout)
Here's my two cents on this: Yes, you can do things to your BRZ, FRS or GT86 to make the car better. I'm the one to know especially having project cars my self (still own currently today) to make my car into what I think could be the best version of what it can be.

But, for all the faults that I know from my FRS - that brings my blood boil sometimes. I love that car, regardless of its faults. It's what I think when reviewers call a soul. Many of them, hand on heart will swear by gods all mighty hands that the Japanese can't make a car without a soul.

I know that the manual transmission is a recycled Lexus IS250 gear box. The developers made a new auto gears for the damn thing, why could they make a new manual one?
The ride is ridiculous in low speeds, and I don't live in a 3rd world country. The stupid headlamps, DRL turns off during the night, but I want to look flash gordon as possible with the *****y LED strips.

But, I love this car with faults.

You can make this car better by putting sound denting materials in it to make it quieter, but you'll loose the sense of hearing while your driving. And I'm pretty sure that the engineers *COUGH* with budget in mind *COUGH* made the choice to put as much needed sound denting material that they thought it was needed. You can make the car faster by putting a turbo in it and many of our members do! But you'll loose some characteristics from the engine. Maybe it would be peddle feel. Could be immediate power you might lose.

What ever it is, in my personal opinion if you want a quieter ride. Then... probably bought the wrong car.

And above anything I say, this should matter to you the most: Do what ever you like.

Plus this is a DIY forum, put a instructions up with pics so people can see what you have done.
Paiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #7
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
firemedic1428 (01-30-2016)
Old 01-08-2015, 07:21 PM   #8
Avion

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6 Speed Auto
The application is pretty basic, just peal and stick on a clean surface. No special instructions required. Not to repeat the work others, just look in You Tube on how to remove the door panels. The trunk trim are just simple tabs to remove. Then just cut the material with a pair of sissors to fit then peal and stick. Lesson Learned: a 1 1/4 inch wallpaper roller ($3) helps in the getting in the nooks and crannies. For the doors cut the strips 18 inches long and applied vertically(top to bottom). In the trunk area,Keep track of your fastener holes and reopen them before you forget where they are. That's it !
There is NO SMELL!! Just look up the products web site of all the automotive reviews. They brag on the stuff like if they found gold. The product is for outdoor roof repair used in extreme weather and temperature. So in your car it should be lifetime.
Avion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:25 PM   #9
Pkush

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Garage
@Stang70Fastback
Wanna share your experience?
Pkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:05 PM   #10
Jolaessss

Drives: SWP FR-S
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
hm
Old 01-08-2015, 11:28 PM   #11
Joshwahhhs

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS M/T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just did this to the trunk of my FRS and there is a noticeable difference. Definitely quieter inside the cabin.
Joshwahhhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #12
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paiser View Post
Here's my two cents on this: Yes, you can do things to your BRZ, FRS or GT86 to make the car better. I'm the one to know especially having project cars my self (still own currently today) to make my car into what I think could be the best version of what it can be.

But, for all the faults that I know from my FRS - that brings my blood boil sometimes. I love that car, regardless of its faults. It's what I think when reviewers call a soul. Many of them, hand on heart will swear by gods all mighty hands that the Japanese can't make a car without a soul.

I know that the manual transmission is a recycled Lexus IS250 gear box. The developers made a new auto gears for the damn thing, why could they make a new manual one?
The ride is ridiculous in low speeds, and I don't live in a 3rd world country. The stupid headlamps, DRL turns off during the night, but I want to look flash gordon as possible with the *****y LED strips.

But, I love this car with faults.

You can make this car better by putting sound denting materials in it to make it quieter, but you'll loose the sense of hearing while your driving. And I'm pretty sure that the engineers *COUGH* with budget in mind *COUGH* made the choice to put as much needed sound denting material that they thought it was needed. You can make the car faster by putting a turbo in it and many of our members do! But you'll loose some characteristics from the engine. Maybe it would be peddle feel. Could be immediate power you might lose.

What ever it is, in my personal opinion if you want a quieter ride. Then... probably bought the wrong car.

And above anything I say, this should matter to you the most: Do what ever you like.

Plus this is a DIY forum, put a instructions up with pics so people can see what you have done.
The way I see it, the engineers/designers made the car so it is a blank canvas meant to be painted.

Unlike luxury cars which are supposedly fine tuned with reasons behind every choice.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PandaSPUR For This Useful Post:
Lav (12-02-2021)
Old 01-09-2015, 11:54 AM   #13
bren5279

Drives: series.blurrr
WARNING: Be very careful which type of the peel n' seal you get: One is fine, but the other MELTS and slides off in high temps during summer days!!!:

One of them you get from Lowes, and the other from Home depot, One type has a shiny look to it, and the other is more of a dull look. If I remember right the one from home depot is the shiny one that melts in any kind of hot day. I made the mistake of doing the side walls of my genesis coupe's trunk with a roll of the shiny type when the other one ran out of stock and after a week took the covers off to discover to my horror that the entire walls melted and slid down into one giant messy pile.

So be careful which one you buy.
bren5279 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bren5279 For This Useful Post:
Chimera (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #14
zinzan

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2014 Limited WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avion View Post
The application is pretty basic, just peal and stick on a clean surface. No special instructions required. Not to repeat the work others, just look in You Tube on how to remove the door panels. The trunk trim are just simple tabs to remove. Then just cut the material with a pair of sissors to fit then peal and stick. Lesson Learned: a 1 1/4 inch wallpaper roller ($3) helps in the getting in the nooks and crannies. For the doors cut the strips 18 inches long and applied vertically(top to bottom). In the trunk area,Keep track of your fastener holes and reopen them before you forget where they are. That's it !
There is NO SMELL!! Just look up the products web site of all the automotive reviews. They brag on the stuff like if they found gold. The product is for outdoor roof repair used in extreme weather and temperature. So in your car it should be lifetime.
With all due respect, in a forum section called "DIY (Do-I-Yourself) Guides", your original post should be more than just, "hey, this is a great product". Direct links or product numbers are helpful, pictures are especially helpful, special tips and instructions are great. You do include some tips in your second post, so thanks for that.

-Z