follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-20-2018, 11:51 PM   #1
MX-5RACER

Drives: 1999 Miata
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Atoto A6 200mm head unit

I got an Atoto A6 head unit from Amazon the other day on Prime day for a little over $200 shipped. Got it installed and have used it the past two days. My cell phone is apple, and having no wifi sort of handicaps the unit with Apple. Apple locks down the Bluetooth interface so that the head unit can play/skip/pause and display artist and title info. only. Also, the android unit will not control the iPod via the USB cable, which is expected.

I will post some pictures tomorrow.
MX-5RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MX-5RACER For This Useful Post:
Trueweltall (07-22-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 09:48 PM   #2
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
That's not true about apple and BT, my OEM (upgraded) 2013 FRS stereo has full ipod control over BT or USB. I can browse artists/songs/albums/playlists/etc over either connection.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:40 PM   #3
MX-5RACER

Here are two pictures of the unit installed.

I am still trying to get Google Maps to work without closing at random times with offline maps. I also had to download a different music player to read my music from a flash drive. The quick charge feature is nice and seems to charge my iPhone pretty quickly.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to MX-5RACER For This Useful Post:
XtremeMaC (05-07-2019)
Old 07-31-2018, 11:25 PM   #4
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
That's not true about apple and BT, my OEM (upgraded) 2013 FRS stereo has full ipod control over BT or USB. I can browse artists/songs/albums/playlists/etc over either connection.

Hey Wparsons, is it just simple plug & play plus running most of the app on app store? Been looking for one but there is too much to choose...........plus i like thoses one that doesn't have buttons on the side or atleast not in your face so I do like how this unit looks.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
Hey Wparsons, is it just simple plug & play plus running most of the app on app store? Been looking for one but there is too much to choose...........plus i like thoses one that doesn't have buttons on the side or atleast not in your face so I do like how this unit looks.

I have the OEM upgraded unit from 2013, this one:

Old 08-03-2018, 04:57 PM   #6
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
Are you referring to the aftermarket Android headunits? FWIW, mine (a Seicane) works quite well with most apps (disappointed that Blackvue doesn't work on it though). In my experience with wiring up my headunit, everything has mostly been plug-and-play. I needed separate wires, however, when hooking up radio, 3.5mm, and USB. Those were still rather easy to connect.

The only difficult part would probably be the parking brake and backup cam (which you probably don't have, since you have a 2015).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX-5RACER View Post
My cell phone is apple, and having no wifi sort of handicaps the unit with Apple.
Your iPhone should have an option for Wi-fi tethering. It'll be somewhere in the settings. Turn it on and you can connect your unit to your phone for internet functionality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KR-S For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (08-06-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 07:35 AM   #7
MX-5RACER

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
Your iPhone should have an option for Wi-fi tethering. It'll be somewhere in the settings. Turn it on and you can connect your unit to your phone for internet functionality.
Yes, the iPhone can tether, but my plan cannot. I was more referring to be able to run and control Pandora on the phone thru the head unit. I can skip and pause while listening to Pandora on blue-tooth, but not change Pandora stations etc.