follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
Citrus

Drives: Audi A4 B8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Stuck on color choice.. Need help

After reading the disappointing up-coming additions to the 2014 BRZ, I decided to buy a 2013. But before I go ahead and put any money down, I need to figure out what color I want. I've narrowed it down to the black and white. I keep on going back and forth between these two colors.

The black, hides the few lines the car has and gets dirty quickly, but it looks amazing when washed and waxed.

The white does a better job of accenting the lines and curves. It also requires less maintenance compared to black, but it is not as striking.

What do you guys think? White or black? Are there any reasons to chose one over the other besides which is easier to clean? Such as paint issues, or anything else I may not have considered?
Citrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
mousekilla15

Drives: WRB BRZ-L
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I went with rally blue just because the frs doesn't come in that color. IMO white just doesn't look good on the brz, weird for me cause I didn't like a rally blue sti but I had a aspen white 05.
mousekilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mousekilla15 For This Useful Post:
Citrus (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
Admiral Ballsy
Shorter of breath

Drives: a soft bargain
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I originally ordered WRB, but changed to black. While I was waiting, a customer dropped out on a WRB and the dealer offered it to me, but I passed.

IMO the 'mustache' looks silly, so the black makes the car look more complete. I also dig the blue metallic/mica particles. I liked it so much I traded after five months for a second, also black.

I *might* have bought orange, if it was available on Subaru however.

FYI, if you ever have bodywork done - not all Subaru CBS are the same. The cars made in Indiana (Legacy, Tribeca, etc.) have a different blend - the metallic lacks the blue, it's just silvery like most other metallic blacks. The Japanese-built cars (Impreza, BRZ) have the blue particles.

Last edited by Admiral Ballsy; 07-06-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Admiral Ballsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Admiral Ballsy For This Useful Post:
Citrus (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
clzzical

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT SWP
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
You're going to get a lot of subjective replies regarding this topic.

But I'll break down my experience for you based on my previous ownership of a black RSX and now a white BRZ.

Black definitely has that luster when clean, that the white just does not have. But it dirties much more quickly, so often times, that luster is relatively short-lived. One thing about black is that you need to keep the tires clean as well, else it does not look right on a clean, black paint. With white, the threshold of visual acceptability is higher, since you have no real other good-looking black surface to compare against. Additionally, not only do you need to keep the car clean to look good, but you also need to have proper washing, drying, and detailing technique to maintain paint quality and minimize swirls and marring since these are very visible on black. I am also finding that rock chips are much less apparent on white than it is on black.

Black also gets much hotter than white. I am not sure of the average weather in MA, but you may want to keep this in mind if you do not enjoy getting into a hot car.

I have heard paint-matching with white is more difficult, but I have no first-hand experience with it to confirm. The answer is probably one of those "it depends." Anyway, if you live in areas where you think you will have to repaint a panel, or a portion of it, in the future, this is a good point to keep in mind.

As you know, the decision is really up to you and you can't go wrong with any color on this beautiful car. But, it is best to weigh these pros and cons of each color for yourself. As for me, I'm pretty sold on white!
clzzical is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clzzical For This Useful Post:
Citrus (07-06-2013), ericmpena (07-23-2013), Pneub (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
mousekilla15

Drives: WRB BRZ-L
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Ballsy View Post
I originally ordered WRB, but changed to black. While I was waiting, a customer dropped out on a WRB and the dealer offered it to me, but I passed.

IMO the 'mustache' looks silly, so the black makes the car look more complete. I also dig the blue metallic/mica particles. I liked it so much I traded after five months for a second, also black.

I *might* have bought orange, if it was available on Subaru however.

FYI, if you ever have bodywork done - not all Subaru CBS are the same. The cars made in Indiana (Legacy, Tribeca, etc.) have a different blend - the metallic lacks the blue, it's just silvery like most other metallic blacks). The Japanese-built cars (Impreza, BRZ) have the blue particles.
I agree on the orange that color has grown on. I see one everyday at work and idk just something about it.

Same thing happened me during the wait also I ordered a swp 5 months later someone's financing feel through and now I got a wrb, so glad I did it to cause I just like it better.
mousekilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
DarkestBuddha

Drives: BRZ limited GBS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
white

dont get dark blue
DarkestBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkestBuddha For This Useful Post:
KelvinBRZ (07-24-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
Citrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clzzical View Post
Black definitely has that luster when clean, that the white just does not have. But it dirties much more quickly, so often times, that luster is relatively short-lived. One thing about black is that you need to keep the tires clean as well, else it does not look right on a clean, black paint. With white, the threshold of visual acceptability is higher, since you have no real other good-looking black surface to compare against. Additionally, not only do you need to keep the car clean to look good, but you also need to have proper washing, drying, and detailing technique to maintain paint quality and minimize swirls and marring since these are very visible on black. I am also finding that rock chips are much less apparent on white than it is on black.
I think this is definitely my biggest problem. Black is just so resistible when its cleaned properly, but its difficult to keep it that after a few short days.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
Citrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestBuddha View Post
DARK BLUE

cuz white and black are EVERYWHERE
GBS was on my list, but I am not a fan how the color changes so much depending on the lighting. It looks amazing under the sun, but it gains an odd shade of purple under fluorescent lighting, especially when it gets dark out.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
wrb
frank

Drives: Subaru BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I drove a white car for 13 years, so I knew for sure I was going to get something else.

WRB was my 1st pick, and Black was 2nd.

I later dropped Black because,

1. car wash - i don't feel like i will have the time/money to wash it that often
2. heat - living in So. Cal, anything can help.
3. wasn't available when I bought my BRZ

I really like WRB because it's unique. It really stands out and I have no problem with that.
wrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
To answer the question you should also tell us your favorite color, and type of cereal you eat.

This way, we can publicly scrutinize your choices of tie colors and fabric choice, and provide you the best answer to see how it all matches to your car color...

Seriously, just buy the color you like.

And white requires more work, just an FYI. Source: I own one.

-alex

Edit: I wanted either WRB, or SWP. I ended up going with white because it was in stock and I didn't have to wait till Aug/Sep to get a car.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
Admiral Ballsy
Shorter of breath

Drives: a soft bargain
Garage
I've owned two white and five black cars. Both are a lot of work, I wouldn't say that one is any less work than the other.

I will say, however, that the small size of this car, plus a couple applications of Rejex, results in a wash-and-dry time that's on the order of fifteen minutes.

The RIM on the BRZ is black, so if you get stone chips on the front fascia, they'll stick out with white colors.

OTOH, the metal primer is light (grey or whitish, I can't tell), so chips on the hood/rockers will tell more with dark colors.
Admiral Ballsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Yes, lots of subjective answers is what you will get.

Here's mine. Lots and lots of FRS seem to be white. If you are going BRZ you're going to be a bit different but if you go white it'll just blend in with all the white FRSs.

If I was going BRZ I'd go the WRB or black as they seem less common. Of course I love my dark grey but doesn't seem very "Subaruey" to me, more of a Toyota/Scion colour.

I know this is an opinion from the other side of the world but we all have opinions on the Internet!
Old 07-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
iamsatan

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium WR Blue
I just got WRB yesterday, love the color, it was my first choice. I lucked out and found a premium that wasn't marked up.

If I didn't get a WRB BRZ I would've just gotten a Whiteout FR-S or Black.
iamsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #14
Citrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Seriously, just buy the color you like.

And white requires more work, just an FYI. Source: I own one.
The problem is that I like both! Which is why it comes down to other factors such as maintenance. And thats odd. I own a white a4 and owned a black GTI. From my experience, the black shows a lot more dirt than the white does.

But I do have a question for all you SWP owners. How do the paint chips look on the paint? Are they more noticeable on black or white?