follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Price of Boost

Hello, I suppose this is my first post on here but it is an important question because it could make or break my decision to get an FR-S or BRZ.

Once these turbo kits get made and the other kits that follow, S/C and possibly twincharge kits as well, they are going to have a price, obviously. What can we expect it to be?

Now I've driven a few different cars and depending on the make of the car and how expensive it was and including vendors thinking how elite the car might be, the price of boosting your vehicle can vary.

I had a Cobalt SS a few years ago and the price to boost those, the non boosted ones, was as low as $1500-2500. Reasonable for the type of car. Domestic and a relatively inexpensive car. And people were easily making ~350whp.

I also owned a Nismo 370Z and my god every vendor thought that car was god's gift to man. So turbo kits were $6,500-11,000. Supercharged kits were $6,500-8,500. In my opinion those are ridiculous prices and even if it is a JDM vehicle, it shouldn't matter. The turbos were making 450-600whp and the S/C was making 350-475whp.

Finally, I currently own a new Camaro SS (same price as a Nismo 370), and I believe the boosted prices are back to being reasonable again. There don't seem to be any vendor issues even though the car has a huge following of people that think it's amazing. The turbo kits are ~$6000. Supercharged kits are ~$4500. Numbers might be off a tad bit but these are almost HALF of the 370Z prices.

So what do you all think we will be seeing for the FR-S/BRZ in terms of pricing for boost? Personally if I can hit 300-350whp I will be extremely happy. It would only take 235whp to have the same exact power-weight ratio as my 370 and maybe 245 for the Camaro. Those numbers should be easily obtained by any form of boost.

Thanks all!
Synack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
arghx7

Drives: car
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
low volume sports car bro. do the math.
arghx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arghx7 For This Useful Post:
TPO (07-02-2012), Zgrinch (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
Matt Andrews

Drives: race cars
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
mark up is one thing, but the cost of hardparts is tough to get around. compressor, manifold, intercooler/aftercooler, down pipe, random pipes and couplings are the obvious parts. But unknowns on this car are how much power the clutch will hold, exhaust diameter needed, injectors, engine control. Not to mention oil and water temperature control.

Any time I've ever boosted a car, the costs are way more than the "kit" you buy.

11/19/12 - Just back from Redline TimeAttack's demo event. Video and write up in link below.
http://fecompetition.wordpress.com/
https://www.facebook.com/FECompetition
Matt Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Andrews For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
Synack
Boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Andrews View Post
mark up is one thing, but the cost of hardparts is tough to get around. compressor, manifold, intercooler/aftercooler, down pipe, random pipes and couplings are the obvious parts. But unknowns on this car are how much power the clutch will hold, exhaust diameter needed, injectors, engine control. Not to mention oil and water temperature control.

Any time I've ever boosted a car, the costs are way more than the "kit" you buy.
Yes absolutely. You have to upgrade other parts to make sure stuff doesn't break and performs properly. I'll personally have no problem with that part of the costs. I am just curious as to the initial price of the kit. I've already got someone to install and tune for me so that's a plus. I was thinking $3,000 might be a reasonable price for a kit. I mean it is just a single turbo after all, so there's not a lot of hardware.

Basically with what I currently owe I can get up to $10,000 cash if someone buys my Camaro for the reasonable price I'm selling it for. So I'm thinking I'll want to have that money to blow on the turbo kit, tune, upgraded parts, wheels, suspension, and a proper aftermarket body kit.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
wcbjr

Drives: 2006 Subaru LGT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by synacks View Post
Basically with what I currently owe I can get up to $10,000 cash if someone buys my Camaro for the reasonable price I'm selling it for. So I'm thinking I'll want to have that money to blow on the turbo kit, tune, upgraded parts, wheels, suspension, and a proper aftermarket body kit.
10,000 would get you a proper body kit, that's about it. Welded and painted fenders are not cheap.
wcbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
Synack
Boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbjr View Post
10,000 would get you a proper body kit, that's about it. Welded and painted fenders are not cheap.
Lol well maybe I'll stick to just F/R bumpers and skirts before I jump into that. I'm more concerned about power output.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
wcbjr

Quote:

So what do you all think we will be seeing for the FR-S/BRZ in terms of pricing for boost? Personally if I can hit 300-350whp I will be extremely happy.
300whp will probably take ~12psi on a properly sized turbo. And it doesn't look like the stock internals will take that much abuse. So save money for a built motor.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
Synack
Boosted

Quote:
300whp will probably take ~12psi on a properly sized turbo. And it doesn't look like the stock internals will take that much abuse. So save money for a built motor.
That slightly concerns me but doesn't seem out of reach. That's unfortunate if stock internals can't handle 300whp.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
wcbjr

I sure hope the motor can take the abuse, nobody has any concrete info yet. Or at least info they have shared with the public.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
Synack
Boosted

Quote:
I sure hope the motor can take the abuse, nobody has any concrete info yet. Or at least info they have shared with the public.
I'm willing to bet that it should. 300whp is not a high number on a 2.0L motor.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
uspspro

Drives: DGM BRZ, MR-S 3.5L V6 swap (sold)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm willing to bet that it should. 300whp is not a high number on a 2.0L motor.
It's not really about the abuse of 300 whp, it's the sky high compressions ratio, and trying to control detonation. With the direct injection, presumably the detonation threshold is higher, but boosting the FA20 is really unknown territory at this point. If you were willing to add methanol injection, sounds like something in the ballpark of 300 whp could be feasible.
uspspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
Synack
Boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by uspspro View Post
It's not really about the abuse of 300 whp, it's the sky high compressions ratio, and trying to control detonation. With the direct injection, presumably the detonation threshold is higher, but boosting the FA20 is really unknown territory at this point. If you were willing to add methanol injection, sounds like something in the ballpark of 300 whp could be feasible.
Had meth in my Cobalt. Loved it. Wouldn't mind doing it again.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
dabocx

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
The price is going to depend alot on the volume of kits they sell and the difficulty of the R/D which i think will end up being quite high.

Still id expect something in the 5-6k range, thats what it cost to get a Quality made kit for the 8th gen si. Alot of people went with the 3k-4k kits but so many ended up selling them for a quality kit from Full race or SSA.
dabocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
mastertech86

Drives: 2009 scion tc turbo
i can definitely say from experience you get what you pay for. if you want a quality build that will last years without problems and as a bonus impress other ppl expect to pay. my tC build (in my profile) total costs before built motor (cause i wanted more power) was right around 6K. i have a friend with a tC as well who wanted to go cheaper and payed around 2500-3K and i daily drive my tC spirited an hour each way for a year on stock motor problem free. him, well he is on his 3rd turbo, intercooler piping has been replaced due to poor fitment and hitting the road on dips, piggyback management been replaced twice due to software failures...the list goes on. yea there are ppl who go the cheaper route and do perfectly fine but it comes down to this when you do that..... are you feeling lucky??

end result? im gonna be buying the FRS and selling him my turbo build for his tC...in the long run, although it was cheaper at first, he paid just about the same as i did except i didnt go through the headaches and down time he did
mastertech86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mastertech86 For This Useful Post:
dabocx (07-02-2012), TPO (07-02-2012)