follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-24-2017, 06:46 PM   #1
Terruko

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What are some things that can be negotiated when buying a new car?

I’ve heard of people getting all the TRD accessories, extended warranty and other stuff added for basically free, I’ve talked to a couple dealers and they barely wanna take $300 off the price.

Talking about a new 86 by the way.
Terruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terruko View Post
I’ve heard of people getting all the TRD accessories, extended warranty and other stuff added for basically free, I’ve talked to a couple dealers and they barely wanna take $300 off the price.

Talking about a new 86 by the way.
Some people lie. I'd love to see proof of "all the TRD accessories" for free (as in no-cost, not already added to the cost) of the car.

Or, walk in with 30k in cash, see what they say.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:34 PM   #3
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
cash? they dont care about cash, they make more money through financing generally.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
Veloist (11-25-2017), Yardjass (11-27-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 07:38 PM   #4
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
There isn't much profit in new cars the money is in financing and service. Used cars on the lot generally have a higher profit margin.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:01 PM   #5
PetrolioBenzina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
cash? they dont care about cash, they make more money through financing generally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
There isn't much profit in new cars the money is in financing and service. Used cars on the lot generally have a higher profit margin.
Understood, which is why they are happy to sell you as much crap as they can.

However, here's 30K cash. I'll take that car right there and trade you this. No? Bye.

Added: Op want's to negotiate. Cash always helps.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:05 PM   #6
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
Understood, which is why they are happy to sell you as much crap as they can.

However, here's 30K cash. I'll take that car right there and trade you this. No? Bye.
How would 30k cash be more enticing than the 30k plus the financing? I think that's the point they are trying to make.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:23 PM   #7
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Whatever you do, don't let them bully you into getting the Trucoat.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:28 PM   #8
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
what the hell is truecoat?

edit: lmao forgot about that Fargo scene.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:37 PM   #9
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,012 Times in 1,855 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
As someone who formerly sold cars (Toyota), anything can be negotiated. With that said, I have never given free parts to anyone. At most, I ate half of the cost (this was on top of losing money on the sale of the car).

Just don't be unrealistic, don't be an asswipe, and don't be condescending towards the sales rep. None of that will get you anywhere but thrown out of the store. Be polite and reasonable; that will get you farther on your negotiations. The more logical behind your reasons for your demands, the better. Something like, "that's what I want to pay" or "because I want it, but don't want to pay for it" are idiotic things to say and won't get you anywhere.

If you're relying on TrueCar and other third party sites, make sure you build the exact car (trim and options should be listed on your local dealership's website). For example, I hated it when people came in for a Rav4 Limited AWD and demanded they honor their "TrueCar print out" that was based on a Rav4 LE FWD with ZERO options selected.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaotic Lazagna For This Useful Post:
why? (11-25-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 08:42 PM   #10
winstonscifi

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Red Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I negotiated a free oil and filter change at 1000 miles (I always change the oil and filter at 1000 miles on a new car - cleans out the crap - some would say that is totally ridiculous). The other thing you can do is go for their most expensive financing - it will possibly lower the price, because they think you're in for the long haul - but then, pay the car off after the first couple of months - if you have the cash, you can pay it off early, and save yourself some money. Oh, by the way - I bought my FR-S in september - they were trying to get it off the lot before winter. $3000 off the list price. Pretty good deal.
winstonscifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:05 PM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
Some people lie. I'd love to see proof of "all the TRD accessories" for free (as in no-cost, not already added to the cost) of the car.

Or, walk in with 30k in cash, see what they say.
And many tell the truth. I got TRD exhaust, sway bars, drop in, RSR lowering springs, clear bra, spoiler and full tint for $1K over base model sticker. Since it was still Scion and there was no negotiating price that was a good deal. I also got $2K more than blue book for my trade in (again since the could not negotiate price).
The deals are out there and people get them but it all depends on how badly they want to move the car. If demand is high they aren't going to start throwing stuff at you. In my case they had three new 14s on the lot and the truck was out front unloading 3 15s. My car had sat in the showroom with all the stuff on it for several months and they probably just wrote the value off as marketing expenses.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:25 PM   #12
PetrolioBenzina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
And many tell the truth. I got TRD exhaust, sway bars, drop in, RSR lowering springs, clear bra, spoiler and full tint for $1K over base model sticker. Since it was still Scion and there was no negotiating price that was a good deal. I also got $2K more than blue book for my trade in (again since the could not negotiate price).
The deals are out there and people get them but it all depends on how badly they want to move the car. If demand is high they aren't going to start throwing stuff at you. In my case they had three new 14s on the lot and the truck was out front unloading 3 15s. My car had sat in the showroom with all the stuff on it for several months and they probably just wrote the value off as marketing expenses.
Which is very different than "I’ve heard of people getting all the TRD accessories, extended warranty and other stuff added for basically free."
Old 11-24-2017, 09:26 PM   #13
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
As someone who formerly sold cars (Toyota), anything can be negotiated. With that said, I have never given free parts to anyone. At most, I ate half of the cost (this was on top of losing money on the sale of the car).

Just don't be unrealistic, don't be an asswipe, and don't be condescending towards the sales rep. None of that will get you anywhere but thrown out of the store. Be polite and reasonable; that will get you farther on your negotiations. The more logical behind your reasons for your demands, the better. Something like, "that's what I want to pay" or "because I want it, but don't want to pay for it" are idiotic things to say and won't get you anywhere.

If you're relying on TrueCar and other third party sites, make sure you build the exact car (trim and options should be listed on your local dealership's website). For example, I hated it when people came in for a Rav4 Limited AWD and demanded they honor their "TrueCar print out" that was based on a Rav4 LE FWD with ZERO options selected.
No wonder you WERE a car salesman .......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:29 PM   #14
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonscifi View Post
I negotiated a free oil and filter change at 1000 miles (I always change the oil and filter at 1000 miles on a new car - cleans out the crap - some would say that is totally ridiculous). The other thing you can do is go for their most expensive financing - it will possibly lower the price, because they think you're in for the long haul - but then, pay the car off after the first couple of months - if you have the cash, you can pay it off early, and save yourself some money. Oh, by the way - I bought my FR-S in september - they were trying to get it off the lot before winter. $3000 off the list price. Pretty good deal.
.....and your NEXT FREE one was at 15,000 miles ........ ??

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (11-25-2017)