follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #71
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
For everyone that looking at GC. I can tell you this. If you want raw power, go for GC, cuz GC have hp that you might like (over 300hp). Other than that, GC isn't worth the money. I've driven both FR-S & GC (V6), I'll take FR-S any days of the week.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #72
bimmerboy

Drives: 2009 135i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
*puts on flame-suit*

I have been looking at used AP1 S2000s recently. My god, really low mileage ones can be had for under $15k!! Really hard to rationalize another $10k for what seems to be a similar car. And since this will be my weekend/track car I really could care less about the lack of versatility the convertible brings....
bimmerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #73
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy View Post
*puts on flame-suit*

I have been looking at used AP1 S2000s recently. My god, really low mileage ones can be had for under $15k!! Really hard to rationalize another $10k for what seems to be a similar car. And since this will be my weekend/track car I really could care less about the lack of versatility the convertible brings....
AP1 is an awesome car. My friend owns one and we enjoy tracking it... but gotta say, it's a double edge sword. It'll bite your head off, if you loose your concentration
Old 04-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #74
Indestruct

Drives: 2013 SWP Limited BRZ, MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy View Post
*puts on flame-suit*

I sold my AP2 with low miles (35Kish) for 14k. Awesome car, but my roof tore and not being able to fit an XL pizza in the car got old.
Indestruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #75
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
After placing my pre-order I went out and drove a Nissan 370Z, Infiniti G37S, Mini Cooper S, Lotus Elise, BMW 335i, Porsche Cayman and Boxster, Subaru WRX and Audi RS 6. I still have to drive a Honda S2000 AP2, but nothing has excited me enough to want to pull my order yet. If I had $30k cash and could buy some older cars, I'd be considering an air-cooled 911, Mazda RX-7 FD3S, or possibly a Lotus Esprit.

The only thing nagging at me is that I can lease another S4 for 6 months through my company for the same monthly payment as the BRZ - and DAMN is the S4 a brilliant car! I can keep leasing them in 6mo. intervals, taking the major pain out of German car ownership - maintenance. It weighs over 1,000lbs more than the BRZ, but it carries the weight well and really eats up the highway, which is where I spend most of my time. I also thought about dumping the same $30k I'd spend on a BRZ into my current project cars over the next few years, but that means a few years before I can actually drive them, and I'll be pushing 30. I want something fun I can drive NOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaros View Post
I've been following the production of this car since 2009, and still haven't caved into buying another car. You weren't that interested in the first place.

This is a big reason why I haven't given up yet. Been wanting one for years now!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.

Last edited by Turbowned; 04-23-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #76
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
I almost did. I was a car ride away from leasing my 2nd 370z. This was a gun metal AT with sport package. All I had to do was get into the car and go pick it up.

I thought about how long I have been waiting for the FR-S, and if I was just a little more patient it would be mine. I have no idea how I kept myself from getting in that car, but I am glad I did.

I have 0 patience, so this was a big step for me.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #77
bneale

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andcas7 View Post
I gave up on the hype and just last week got me a '12 Lexus IS250 with the F-Sport package in Ultrasonic blue mica. I could not be happier, I won't be missing on sunroof, automatic head lamps, HIDs, etc. The car is actually worth the money compared to the FR-S' lack of features and the crappy Scion dealers here in South Florida.
I'll concede your point about the HID's. But for every other point, this car is not for you. It's a "drivers car" and as such, most of the amenitites have been removed in favour of a lower price and better performance. The whole sunroof thing tells me so.

If you knew anything about why Toyota/Subaru decided against not having a sunroof, then you would understand why its not an option on this car. For those that don't know, glass is heavy! What do you think happens to the center of gravity when you start hanging 200lbs above the drivers head?

Again, this is a pure drivers car and is going to have a better center of gravity then both a Nissan GT-R and a Ferrari 458 Italia!!

Comparing anything to the FRS/BRZ is like comparing apples and oranges!! There just is nothing on the market (used cars don't really count either) right now which is comparable to the FR-S. Nothing offers the same driving experience for anywhere close to the same money.

bneale
bneale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #78
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Oh, boy, here 'comes....

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #79
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andcas7 View Post
I gave up on the hype and just last week got me a '12 Lexus IS250 with the F-Sport package in Ultrasonic blue mica. I could not be happier, I won't be missing on sunroof, automatic head lamps, HIDs, etc. The car is actually worth the money compared to the FR-S' lack of features and the crappy Scion dealers here in South Florida.
Sweet, so you bought the only car slower than the FRS/BRZ for 40g's
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #80
Exhaust
UCanThrottleMyBody

Drives: 2015 GM 370z Sport
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneale View Post
I'll concede your point about the HID's. But for every other point, this car is not for you. It's a "drivers car" and as such, most of the amenitites have been removed in favour of a lower price and better performance. The whole sunroof thing tells me so.

If you knew anything about why Toyota/Subaru decided against not having a sunroof, then you would understand why its not an option on this car. For those that don't know, glass is heavy! What do you think happens to the center of gravity when you start hanging 200lbs above the drivers head?

Again, this is a pure drivers car and is going to have a better center of gravity then both a Nissan GT-R and a Ferrari 458 Italia!!

Comparing anything to the FRS/BRZ is like comparing apples and oranges!! There just is nothing on the market (used cars don't really count either) right now which is comparable to the FR-S. Nothing offers the same driving experience for anywhere close to the same money.

bneale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Oh, boy, here 'comes....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Sweet, so you bought the only car slower than the FRS/BRZ for 40g's
AAAAND WERE OFF!!!
Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #81
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust View Post
AAAAND WERE OFF!!!
Let me interject with a serious comment about this. I feel as if the FRS vs the IS--- what--oh no---

WHATS HAPPPENIn---

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z4m4lnjxkY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z4m4lnjxkY[/ame]

This is all I have to say.
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #82
Toyota fr-s
Yes, Toyota fr-s

Drives: 1991 MR2 Turbo T-Top, Gen3 3SGTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryUyede View Post
More just for fun, but in the past 3 weeks, I've had Lengthy test drives with the Mustang V6/V8, Genesis 2.0t/3.8, Civic Si, MX-5 , '13 328/128.

For ANYONE thinking of the genesis coupe...and end up getting it, do yourself a favor and NEVER drive an FR-S after..you will regret your decision very quickly. I've had some pretty sporty and/or refined cars...the Genesis Coupe came off as Neither of these...very disappointing.

The V8 mustang had a fun factor to it..the Brand new BMW's have lost a little in "Driving Feel"...the MX-5 Was just a blast...but too damn small for a daily car. Civic was a little disappointing too.
What did you think of the new mustang V8? I take it, it was the 5.0. The cars that I've been considering aside from the fr-s are only the 370z and mustang GT 5.0. But I won't make a decision until until I have driven the fr-s which would give me a fair assessment of the cars.
Toyota fr-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #83
CoryUyede
NisSubuGuru?

Drives: 2011 Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota fr-s View Post
What did you think of the new mustang V8? I take it, it was the 5.0. The cars that I've been considering aside from the fr-s are only the 370z and mustang GT 5.0. But I won't make a decision until until I have driven the fr-s which would give me a fair assessment of the cars.
The Mustang V8 was a BLAST...Amazing engine..the handling was surprisingly good. V8 Mustangs have alot of character...I'm VERY picky about cars...but i can at least appreciate cars with character. The genesis coupe has none..If i could think of a sporty rental car that leaves no impression..it's a Hyundai GC.

The V6 Mustang is a great "value". The engine output is strong enough that you don't feel like you've compromised much...but i feel like a V6 in a mustang is some sort of crime.

The 370z was pretty nice too. Much more composed then my old 350z. More refined, yet more capable. I've already owned a Z though, not sure i want another one right now..plus i dont feel like spending that much at this point in my life.

Past to Present
CoryUyede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #84
Toyota fr-s
Yes, Toyota fr-s

Drives: 1991 MR2 Turbo T-Top, Gen3 3SGTE
Yes, I'm not much of a mustang guy but this one is definitely a well designed car. The engine has a lot of potential plus cheap parts compared to the imports. I wouldn't even consider the V6 since it is way too heavy to compete for my taste.

As for the 370z, well it looks much better than the stang and also has plenty of potential. I had a 350z and know what the Z car feels like and what it can do, so I agree with you on that one.

At the same time, I don't think any one of the two can match the driving experience of the fr-s. light weight, rear wheel drive, low CoG, etc... But it doesn't have the power the other two have.... This is an easy fix though with the amount of aftermarket support that it will have. Something tells me the fr-s can be the perfect car with around 250whp...
Toyota fr-s is offline   Reply With Quote